Report Bugs Here

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ah, that's good news! Thanks, Lee.
  • every time i move to another tab while typing a post returning to the tab deletes the post

i am running chrome, i will be checking my version number right now here...
  • i am running the most recent version of chrome

is this happening to anyone else by any chance?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Yes, actually. 

Though I noted it does not delete the entire post, just whatever hasn't been saved as a draft.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm running version 29.0.1547.76 here, and it doesn't seem to be doing that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This has been going on for a long time, but since other people seem to have encountered similar issues I think it's worth bringing up.

Basically, forum posting is broken on the Nexus 7. The WYSIWYG editor shows up, but trying to type in it causes the keyboard to pop up and then immediately close. The only way to enter text is to tap the "Write Comment" button and enter the raw HTML in the box that pops up...and even then, the post box inexplicably becomes more than a single screen tall, causing you to have to scroll down to reach the "Post Comment" button.

Is there any way that could be fixed...?
    The version of CLEditor that came with Vanilla has all sorts of weird little issues, and I'm wondering myself if upgrading it would help. I can check on all this when I get home.
    Thanks.
    Is there any way to get traditional page-based navigation on the mobile site, instead of the "More Comments" thing?
  • So what's up with the "<mytubeelement data=*huge garbled mess*>"
    tag? It always seems to show up whenever I click the "Show Source" button and there's a previously saved draft in the editor box.
    I haven't experienced that, but it sounds like yet another case of CLEditor not playing nice with the browser. :\
  • edited 2013-11-28 19:48:45
    Okay, here's another one. I've had the "Hide signatures" option toggled on for a while now, but it just doesn't work. The "Strip images out of signatures" option works, but the one to outright hide signatures altogether doesn't. What's up with that?

I haven't experienced that, but it sounds like yet another case of CLEditor not playing nice with the browser. :\

I dug into this, and it seems it's not CLEditor's fault; it seems to be a bug in Chrome (or possibly even WebKit itself, but I don't have the WebKit skeleton browser handy) where it smashes all the formatting in the <blockquote> tag, or tries to, when you use execCommand("bold") or execCommand("italic") inside the WYSIWYG <iframe>.

I get the feeling they were trying to work around a bug in something else, or trying to avoid a tag injection or cross-site scripting attack of some sort.
  • This has been going on for a long time, but since other people seem to have encountered similar issues I think it's worth bringing up.

Basically, forum posting is broken on the Nexus 7. The WYSIWYG editor shows up, but trying to type in it causes the keyboard to pop up and then immediately close. The only way to enter text is to tap the "Write Comment" button and enter the raw HTML in the box that pops up...and even then, the post box inexplicably becomes more than a single screen tall, causing you to have to scroll down to reach the "Post Comment" button.

Is there any way that could be fixed...?
    I've had this problem, so it affects both Nexus 7 models.
    I don't have a Nexus 7 here, but I do have an Eee with an experimental build of Android-x86 on it, so I can try there.
    Oddly, it doesn't seem to be browser-specific. I thought it might be a WebKit/Blink thing since it happens in the stock browser, Chrome, and Opera, but it also happens in Firefox...
    Is this the Nexus 7 issue, or the broken quotes issue? I've been investigating the broken quotes thing, but I haven't found a fix or a workaround yet.
    Whoops, should have been more specific. The Nexus 7 one.
  • edited 2013-12-21 01:10:20
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

I dug into this, and it seems it's not CLEditor's fault; it seems to be a bug in Chrome (or possibly even WebKit itself, but I don't have the WebKit skeleton browser handy) where it smashes all the formatting in the <blockquote> tag, or tries to, when you use execCommand("bold") or execCommand("italic") inside the WYSIWYG <iframe>.

I get the feeling they were trying to work around a bug in something else, or trying to avoid a tag injection or cross-site scripting attack of some sort.
    ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH THIS IS A CONTENTEDITABLE BUG ARGH

On my test machine, with a full-updated CLEditor, it's doing the <span font-style="normal"> shit even without the <blockquote> or any other formatting present. I would likely have to rip WebKit apart to fix it, unless I can somehow magick a workround out of the DOM. :P
  • edited 2013-12-21 01:27:27
    Yeah, no matter what I set styleWithCSS to, it still puts that <span style="font-weight: normal;"> crap before the blockquote, which ruins the blockquote's formatting. Either something preceding the blockquote is confusing WebKit, or CLEditor is ticking some extremely obscure bug in contentEditable.
  • edited 2013-12-21 01:38:56
    I FIXED IT!

Turns out there's an option where you can set styles on the <body> tag for the editor. However, setting a default font there (with "font: 10px Whatever,Something Else") seems to make WebKit think it has to reset all the styles before a bold or an italic, as if styleWithCSS="true" (which it probably is because of the damned font selector). 

The fix is to just not set a font there. It means the text editor will likely be using sans-serif by default for now, but I'm not sure if setting a font in CSS using a class or an ID wouldn't just break things again.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Thanks
    Yay! Go Lee!

So...was anyone else having an issue last night where they'd try to navigate to the site and end up at a place that wanted them to mine bitcoins, or was it just me? ^_^;;
    I just found the line in config.php that broke the site, and fixed it. It seems to be a bug in Vanilla; the Linux side of things still seems to be secure.
    Thanks for fixing that! Hopefully nothing like that ever happens again.

Anonus said:

Thanks for fixing that! Hopefully nothing like that ever happens again.

Especially since I just blew my life's savings on bitcoins! 

Yay! Thanks for fixing it, Lee. ^_^
  • edited 2013-12-23 10:59:17
    And I just put in the Vanilla security update, so we shouldn't have that problem again. I want to upgrade the server to the latest LTS at some point, but it's not urgent as Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is still getting security updates.
    yay security!
  • So...I think the site's having some trouble.
  • Specifically, I don't think Vanilla Forums is gonna host us anymore, because we have NSFW content.

• edited 2013-12-23 12:57:08

dude we haven't been hosted by vanilla forums for like millenia

unless this is like a bitmonica joke?

im confused

DONT ASK ME CONFUSING THINGS WHEN IM JUST GETTING UP OK?????

GOSH
  • (explanation: that is a picture of a pokémon named "slowpoke".  the implication is that the seemingly-applicable-at-first headline is actually far more out of date than one first thought.)
  • This is not a thread for jokes you know
    Since I didn't mention it before: I fixed the photo-scaling bug a few days ago. You should now be able to click on a big picture, and then click on it again to collapse it (collapsing didn't work before).
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    yay!!! :D
    Yay! Thanks Lee. ^_^
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    awesome :)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Thank you, Based Lee.
    Thanks Lee!
    I got this message upon attempting to load Imi's thread:

Is there something that should be done here? :\
  • edited 2014-02-08 22:07:56
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I did not realize that safebooru is a known malware distributor

I thought it was just a booru for prudes

(update) actually, Firefox is now reporting it as a bad site too.

I have deleted the offending image from the rocket city, for what it's worth.
  • Not a bug per se, but is something up with the HH twitter account?

I got one of those too. I already PM'd Tre about it, since he's the one who runs the account...
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-02-10 05:15:27
    Noted. I changed the password on it so whatever bot that sent those shouldn't have access anymore.

Sorry about that, it's been years since I broke that account out... :|
    I don't know if this counts as a bug or not, but...I've got that situation again where I can be logged in on http://heapershangout.com/ but not on http://www.heapershangout.com/ or vice-versa. It's a bit of an inconvenience since the links people post don't always match up...
    That's because of the way cookies work. We'd have to redirect to www.heapershangout.com to keep everything straight.
    Ah, I see.
  • lee4hmz said:

That's because of the way cookies work. We'd have to redirect to www.heapershangout.com to keep everything straight.

I think we should redirect everything to http://heapershangout.com instead.