Report Bugs Here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Okay, just added another 2 GB of swap space. We should (hopefully) be okay for now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't wanna be "that guy", but what does all that mean in less jargony terms?
    Basically, the server has two kind of memory, actual RAM and "swap space" on the hard disk. What was happening is that Apache and MySQL were using so much memory that the system ran out of both, and force-killed the processes. 

This is similar to the "Your system is running low on virtual memory" message on Windows, though Windows will happily increase the swap file size automatically instead of it having to be manually adjusted.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ah, I see.

...what exactly was eating up all that memory?
    Lots of people using the site at once, basically. While we only have maybe a dozen regulars, everything someone does on the site uses some amount of system resources, and so there's always a danger of running low on memory when everyone's here and there's a number of busy threads. 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That's the default color scheme for this theme. Apparently if Vanilla can't load the scheme we chose for it, it falls back on that one.
  • Hence why the logo has that weird background to it.

(Speaking of, if we ever want to do Google-style logo changes/color scheme switches, be sure to tell me in advance.)
  • Long, long ago, I posted this on my profile:

"My avatar broke.

What avatar should I use instead?"

There's a little "clear" link next to it.  I click it, and it disappears...until I reload the page.
    Huh, I tried it myself and I'm getting the exact same thing.

I wonder if it's a permissions issue. I know when we first moved here and had trouble with settings not sticking, Lee had to fix some permissions...
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Somehow, I'm being Google bounced if I try to access the site using Chrome.

Aaaaand, it stopped.

That was odd.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Google bouncing, here? o_O

Only with Chrome. I was able to access the site on IE10, still.
    That's weird. I've had that happen a few times with Chromium where I'd type the URL to a site and it'd insist on going somewhere else, but clearing the history usually fixes that.

So, on further use, it seems Chrome + Windows 8 = a fail machine.

IE10 seems to handle things OK, though it crashes quite often (recovers nicely, however).

• i haven't had any problems

I'm just gonna do a scan with a couple of anti-virus programs, 'cause I'm getting some strange redirects. Usually to Google, or MSN, though...
    Try searching for something in Google, then clicking on the first non-paid result. If it redirects someplace, you have a critter on your machine. I've been trying to remove one of those from someone's machine here, and I'm about ready to give up and reinstall Windows..

Nope, so far it looks like I'm clean. 
  • Hmm, I think something on this site, somewhere is sketchy. MalwareBytes sometimes tells me that it blocked a malicious process when I'm on this site. It's only happened twice so far, one time on each of my desktops, and I don't have any other info to give, but this is probably worth mentioning.
    It's probably referring to Flash itself, or to an ad one of the YouTube embeds ran. We don't run ads here and don't host any content locally, except for Vanilla itself, so we should be OK in that respect.
  • Good point, in which case, Adobe probably has yet another hole to patch.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    So the site keeps giving me errors

These errors crash my phone

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or
    misconfiguration and was unable to complete
    your request.

Please contact the server administrator,
    webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred,
    and anything you might have done that may have
    caused the error.

More information about this error may be available
    in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at www.heapershangout.com Port 80
    Argh, the server is running out of memory again. :P There's not much I can do about that aside from upgrading, though restarting Apache and MySQL may help a bit for now.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Might want to consider a different anti spam

Or panty spam
    Apparently IJBM has a way to auto-reject applications with certain words in them, but I don't have the patch to implement that. If I did, I could turn off SFS.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The spoilerbox isn't working quite right for me. Everything after the first line shows up as if it's a normal quoteblock. I know there's probably something in the source code that's messing it up, but I'm feeling a bit tired and lazy to investigate myself.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^^ Turn off SFS anyways. Make a new position on the site that is basically just application approval. No other duties. Remove this position when you find an anti spam thing that doesn't om nom nom memory
    Honestly I'd been considering that since last year...

I don't remember what it was going to be called. It was supposed to be like the Forum Herald position on TV Tropes...
  • I could probably do it. How many do we get a day?
  • @lee4hmz, go send Unknown_Entity (I think he goes by this name here?) a PM and I'll tell him to get in touch with you.
    ^^Around a dozen, I think...
    Wait, I remember now

The role's name is "Gatekeeper"!
  • I can reject a dozen or so applicants a day.

Also my avatar is supremely fitting for this role.

Okay, you are our first Gatekeeper!
    "Gatekeeper"...Ghostbusters reference, or just coincidence?
  • hooray

I want something shiny to put next to my name for this but I don't know what or how to get it.

Coincidence because I've never seen Ghostbusters all the way through
  • "Gatekeeper"...Ghostbusters reference, or just coincidence?

Touhou reference. Google "Hong Meiling"

hooray

I want something shiny to put next to my name for this but I don't know what or how to get it.

find a shield icon and put it in your signature or something
  • maybe I'll have Tre make me a gate icon

if he wants to anyway.

• edited 2013-03-16 02:11:11
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Click "Decline" under Options, or if there's more than one at a time, check them and click the "Decline" button below.
    to the right of the name and reason
  • OK, let me back up a few steps here.

How do I view applications at all? Because I don't see a big button that says "Applications" or anything.

When an Application shows up (there's one in the queue now), there should be an "Applicants" button at the top of the page between your profile button and the logout button.
    Wait a sec, try it now. The permissions were set wrong.