Report Bugs Here

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    AU caught that too.

I've long suspected that Vanilla allowing punctuation in usernames is a bug, not a feature. (Indeed, there are some places where it will reject any username that's not just alphanumeric, but other places it will accept anything you type in.)

I wonder if that will be a problem when we go to 2.1, actually...
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Even spaces make @-addressing impossible.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    hey hey hey (hey)

I have a snapshot of the site upgrading to 2.1 on my lappy, and the thing I'm finding out is that it takes a while. When we do the live update, it will probably take about an hour.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    When do you plan on doing it?
  • edited 2014-11-01 23:36:19
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    do it during the extra hour of daylight savings time, so that you end it at about the same time you start
    will that cause glitches?
    I don't have a set time at the moment; I want to make sure everything works on the snapshot before changing anything else.
    Okay, first thing I found is that the themes from 2.0.x don't work at all, and all trace of them has to be removed. I;'m trying to see if defaultsmarty exists in 2.1.
    worst case we can re-create those, right?
    Yeah, I can graft the poppy colors onto the default theme if it comes down to it. It looks like defaultsmarty was never updated for 2.1, so...
    Or we could switch to the Vanilla Blue scheme full-time, if that still exists.
    It does, though they also changed things quite a bit for 2.1...for one thing, the discussion list is on the left now. I'm not sure I like that. 

I'm playing with the Bootstrap theme now, and it's quite nice, though I haven't found a theme option I like yet.
    Okay, Quotes works a bit differently (it doesn't seem to be as broken as it used to be), but I'm not sure what to do about Signature because we're currently doing them in a way Vanilla isn't terribly happy with.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What's wrong with them?
    Right now, we're doing them as a <div> stuffed into the CommentInfo <div>. On some themes, the effect this causes is....strange, though I also haven't looked at it as a normal user yet.
    Honestly, signature is the wrong word and these are more like titles imho
    Lilly said:

Honestly, signature is the wrong word and these are more like titles imho

I think we call them "signatures" because it was originally a signature plugin that Lee modified to display above the posts instead of below.
  • i definitely prefer above the posts
    naney said:

i definitely prefer above the posts

same
    Yeah, and I think the original mods for that came from U_E, since he originally modified the plugin for IJBM. (Are they running 2.1 yet?)
    Okay, our modified signatures do seem to work OK on the new default theme, though I still don't like the categories being on the left. I don't know why they changed that.
    Can it be changed so that they're still on the right?
    Apparently it's a function of the theme somehow, since the Bootstrap themes can do it, but I'm not sure which knob to turn to get it to work.
    Is there a way to add emoji support to the forums?
  • Is there a way to add emoji support to the forums?

if u do this i will run u over with a little tykes car
  • edited 2014-11-04 17:40:51
    kill living beings
    wow, that did not work! what happened to unicode? ßëǟ

buh.

do astral plane characters just disintegrate

they do! that's fucked
    naney said:

Is there a way to add emoji support to the forums?

if u do this i will run u over with a little tykes car
    Butbut...cuteness!
    I've tried using emoji before, but something is filtering out anything that's not on the BMP. I'll have to see if 2.1 supports it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I prefer to just type emoji, thank you very much.
  • Yeah same, graphical emoji look like poop
    right now the code just eats emoji anyways because vanilla's encoding support is a pile of shit so
    This is what the site looks like in Vanilla 2.1's default theme:

I don't mind the left-side thing but is there a way to make the topics' tree-structure more obvious?  I guess that's a theme thing
    Lilly said:

I don't mind the left-side thing but is there a way to make the topics' tree-structure more obvious?  I guess that's a theme thing

It looks like there's a small indentation for the sub-categories in the list...I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to increase that
    Would it be possible to turn "7K" and such into more specific numbers?
    I'm actually not sure; I have no idea how themes work in 2.1 x.x
  • Bow before your Queen, lowly mortals! Central Avenue’s eternal 8-year-old. [she/her]
    When I'm logged in as an admin, the Search feature works as expected.

But when I'm logged in as a normal user, it just returns literally every post in chronological order.
    I wonder if upgrading to 2.1 will fix that...I should just suck it up and do that this weekend. :P
    But the weekend's alrea--oh right, it's only Friday night.

Good luck then! :P
  • One problem I'm getting with the switch: any iframe that isn't YouTube seems to be blocked in posts, which is A Problem for the music thread because none of the Bandcamp/SoundCloud embeds are working.
    When there's only one new post, it bumps me to the top of the page instead of the new post.
    On heapershangout.com, things look fine

But on www.heapershangout.com, the sidebar's in the wrong place.
    Anonus said:

On heapershangout.com, things look fine

But on www.heapershangout.com, the sidebar's in the wrong place.
    I had the exact opposite problem (I usually use the www by default), but refreshing fixed it.
  • edited 2015-01-25 12:33:26
    Could we get a fix to "unpack" the geat symbol that's used to edit posts? It's awfully hard to click it on a touchscreen phone.
  • So, I've learned that the black highlighting has a bug when you do it with capital J

Observe. The tip of the J is visible on the left side of the black space. 

Not sure if relevant, but interesting
    I suspect that's specific to way the browser renders this particular font...
    Can you post a screen shot? It may be your browser rendering things funny.
  • I also see what he means.

it's really just a pixel or so, but the J does poke out from behind the spoiler tags, like so:

Jumpin' Jackrabbits, Johnny Jango!
  • edited 2015-02-01 01:10:58
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Screenshot:

At first I thought it was just a speck of dust on my screen.
    It's not doing it here, but I'm also on Linux where the site's preferred font (Lucida) isn't installed by default. I'll have to see if I can poach a copy off of one of the Windows 7 machines.