Anime

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Akatsuki Horizon: Season Minori
  • also now there's a character that is a Chinese gold farming bot that gained sentience when everybody got sucked into Elder Tale, so that's cool
  • edited 2015-09-02 18:47:52
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    FLCL may be getting a remake.

My instincts tell me "no", but I'll probably be watching it anyway if it comes out.

I guess this is what it feels like to consume Content™.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    No I'm pretty sure consuming content would involve watching a third remake of Full Metal Alchemist.
  • idk

it could be interesting? My first instinct is cautious optimism.
  • Odradek said:

No I'm pretty sure consuming content would involve watching a third remake of Full Metal Alchemist.

Honestly if it fixes the pacing issues of Brotherhood, I'm game
    This is you
  • I don't get what's so compelling about FMA that people are so devoted to it.

I saw the first series on [as] years ago and thought it was OK. Never really bothered to watch the second.
  • edited 2015-09-02 18:58:48
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm agreed with Jane here.

In fact, I always thought that the original series did more interesting things with the concept than Brotherhood seems to.
  • Like I'm not trying to be all "ooh, FMA sucks" I just genuinely don't get it.
  • FLCL may be getting a remake.

My instincts tell me "no", but I'll probably be watching it anyway if it comes out.

Honestly, if it was any studio other than Production I.G, I'd be wary, but Production I.g has done a lot of good stuff.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Honestly, if it was any studio other than Production I.G, I'd be wary, but Production I.g has done a lot of good stuff.
    Khara or Trigger would be ideal. If we're lucky, maybe one of them will get involved in this.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I.G. seems a bit odd as a fit for this but apparently they worked on the original FLCL???
    also I.G. is pulling in this remake and a Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake, huh
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Calica said:

I.G. seems a bit odd as a fit for this but apparently they worked on the original FLCL???
    I feel like it would be ideal if this ended up a co-production with Khara or Trigger, but a solo production might still work out in the end.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    FMA was *amazing*, seriously one of the best anime i've seen

Brotherhood was different enough from the original that i don't consider them interchangeable, and if a third FMA show was sufficiently different and good i'd probably watch that too

if that's content consumption then content consumption is awesome and i want to do a lot more of it
    Hunter X Hunter is better
  • kill living beings

I don't get what's so compelling about FMA that people are so devoted to it.
    has a dude made of eyes
    ^^ so i've heard

i do intend to watch that at some point

has a dude made of eyes

Bloodborne_Boss_The_Witch_of_Hemwick.png
    has a dude made of eyes
    fair
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-09-03 00:19:46

Tachyon said:

FMA was *amazing*, seriously one of the best anime i've seen

Brotherhood was different enough from the original that i don't consider them interchangeable, and if a third FMA show was sufficiently different and good i'd probably watch that too

if that's content consumption then content consumption is awesome and i want to do a lot more of it

This first line is basically how I feel. I think FMA and Brotherhood are probably my favorite anime. I guess I just really like how the characters are fleshed out and how the show is an action adventure show that has some depth to it. When there are fight scenes they tend to not go on for that long and do not really revolve around getting power upgrades and new abilities like they do in some shonen action shows.

Alphonse is pretty cool too. I liked how he did more stuff in Brotherhood.
  • kill living beings
    or more seriously it's probably just that it's A Good Shonen

not like groundbreaking or experimental, but has a compelling plot and enough stabs for people who don't care about plots
  • kill living beings
    rokka of six braves gets weirder/weirder more interesting by the episode
  • edited 2015-09-03 15:02:55

or more seriously it's probably just that it's A Good Shonen

not like groundbreaking or experimental, but has a compelling plot and enough stabs for people who don't care about plots

Don't forget really cool and original world-building.

has a dude made of eyes

Two
    dudes made of eyes.

I saw the first series on [as] years ago and thought it was OK. Never really bothered to watch the second.

Like I'm not trying to be all "ooh, FMA sucks" I just genuinely don't get it.

Interesting characters, cool plot, etc. If you don't like it then hey, that's your thing. I don't like Arslan and it seems to have the same things.
  • edited 2015-09-03 10:54:57
    Odradek said:

Hunter X Hunter is better

H x H and FMA are fundamentally different and there's no real comparison to be made between them.

Except gay ships. Leorio/Kurapika is better than any of the gay ships in FMA.
  • This exists now.
    I am happy about that even if it does not exactly have a bunch of new content.
  • edited 2015-09-12 06:20:27
    I am physically unable to watch Steins;Gate Episode 22 without stopping the video and taking a break
    which one was 22 again?
    ^^ iirc, that episode felt very much like an ending, up until the cliffhanger threw everything on its head
    i'm nearing the end of the Punk Hazard arc on One Piece

i've enjoyed it.  The tone of this arc feels a lot darker than much of the pre-time skip ones, while still retaining the sense of humour that drew me to the show.

Sanji has been much more like his old self this arc, particularly as it went on (though he's still had a fair few pervert moments, particularly during a 'Freaky Friday' type bit earlier in the arc).

i'm looking forward to seeing more from Doflamingo.  Monet turned out to be an unexpectedly interesting character and i kind of hope to see more from her, although i have a suspicion that all the major villains this arc are going to meet with an especially nasty end given that they've been hurting children specifically.

My favourite moment this arc came at the end of episode 616.

The next canon arc is Dressrosa, which is still ongoing, though it's a long one.  Then i'll have caught up.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    All that I know about One Piece boils down to Nico Robin, Nami, Luffy being shounen as heck, weird powers, and Monet unfortunately being like two-thousand episodes in. Sucks.
  • edited 2015-09-12 02:49:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Monet is the best villain that arc, imo.  More interesting than Caesar, ostensibly the main villain of the arc, who turned out to be kind of generic mad scientist (and also much weaker and more junior than he appeared at first).  The arc also has Smoker/Chaser (name was changed for the dub for censorship reasons), who is one of my favourite characters.

Incidentally Monet first appears in episode 581, but it's several more episodes after that before she gets much screentime.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    VOTOMS is a good anime.
  • Zeether said:

VOTOMS is a good anime.

I've heard it's pretty good. I still need to get around to seeing it. I have Flag on my Hard drive, which is by the same director.
  • edited 2015-09-12 21:26:29
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I think I'm just going to read the manga, really. 581 episodes is too much of a time investment for me.

And yes, I know there's more than Monet, it looks interesting enough on other merits. But it also has Monet.
  • edited 2015-09-13 03:54:43
    Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

Zeether said:

VOTOMS is a good anime.

I've heard it's pretty good. I still need to get around to seeing it. I have Flag on my Hard drive, which is by the same director.
    Takahashi seems to be pretty good. II started on Layzner as well which is by him but sadly it got cancelled so it's missing a few interesting plot points due to being rushed. Same thing happened to Panzer World Galient :/
  • edited 2015-09-13 13:34:46

I watched the first episode of Jormungand it was cute
    Crystal said:

I think I'm just going to read the manga, really. 581 episodes is too much of a time investment for me.

And yes, I know there's more than Monet, it looks interesting enough on other merits. But it also has Monet.
    this is probably a better idea anyway, the pacing in the anime is actually pretty horrible and there's some boring filler episodes

(i find manga in general hard to follow, for some reason, so i'm sticking with the tv show)
  • edited 2015-09-18 10:17:10
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I changed my mind: Saint Seiya - Lost Canvas is actually pretty good.

But the theme song is really bad. It's not Saint Seiya all.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I really liked the first series but I have yet to see Brotherhood and I feel not great compelling urge to see it despite being genuinely curious and, again, really liking the original adaptation.

But if you want an explanation: The character writing over the course of the series and how it develops is exceptional; the plotting is engaging even when it meanders; and, perhaps most importantly in terms of its impact if not its quality per se, it does not pull its punches. At its heart, this is as much a show about the horrible things that good, life-affirming ideals can make people do as it is about the strength they can give you to do the right thing, and for a kids' show, that is pretty heavy, but you know what? That's refreshing.
    IMO Hunter X Hunter
  • edited 2015-09-18 15:43:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Whether or not that is your cup of tea in the first place is another matter, however. And not watching the show in order and taking into account how the early episodes add up will probably give you a much different picture of the show from doing what I did, which was binge-watching the thing over three days.

^ So I have heard! I want to see it for that exact reason.

I really liked the first series but I have yet to see Brotherhood and I feel not great compelling urge to see it despite being genuinely curious and, again, really liking the original adaptation.

But if you want an explanation: The character writing over the course of the series and how it develops is exceptional; the plotting is engaging even when it meanders; and, perhaps most importantly in terms of its impact if not its quality per se, it does not pull its punches. At its heart, this is as much a show about the horrible things that good, life-affirming ideals can make people do as it is about the strength they can give you to do the right thing, and for a kids' show, that is pretty heavy, but you know what? That's refreshing.
    Honestly, if you're gonna see Brotherhood, I'd recommend just reading the manga first. Brotherhood isn't bad, but it condenses the part that the first series covered before going in its own direction into 12-13 epiodes, which is understandable, but annoying. Plus, there are certain scenes that don't translate as well a they could later in the manga, where there will be this tense scene with dramatic music, and then suddenly the dramatic music cut out when one of the characters makes a joke and then it goes back to being serious like nothing happened. It works in the manga, but it didn't really work for me in Brotherhood.

• Hunter x Hunter is another great series that is in no way trying to compete with FMA. The tone, style and themes are all completely different.