Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I am aware that they are quite different, but what aspects they have in common all are attractive to me as a viewer, save maybe for the fact that they are nominally both of the Shounen Jump realm.
  • I was talking to Myrmidon
    I think he is aware of that too.

It's kind of been a joke for a while now that I should watch Hunter x Hunter, if you haven't noticed.
  • You really should
    I am watching Key the Metal Idol now.

It is strange. Like, this is before Evangelion and yet it drips with the sort of vibes you see in the kind of post-NGE shows that people like Chiaki Konaka would go on to write. The look is super 90s, almost 80s, and yet the sound design and general direction are very modern and kind of arty and the whole vibe of the show is just sinister in a fairly restrained way.

I am liking it a lot. Wish the subtitle programming was better but apparently everyone feels that way.
  • I am watching Key the Metal Idol now.

It is strange. Like, this is before Evangelion and yet it drips with the sort of vibes you see in the kind of post-NGE shows that people like Chiaki Konaka would go on to write. The look is super 90s, almost 80s, and yet the sound design and general direction are very modern and kind of arty and the whole vibe of the show is just sinister in a fairly restrained way.

I am liking it a lot. Wish the subtitle programming was better but apparently everyone feels that way.

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time.
  • the beau finds the coolest shows
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    in the first FMA, the phone box in *that* scene was a contemporary style phone booth, i'd say probably from no earlier than 1970, whereas in Brotherhood it was clearly modelled on the Giles Gilbert Scott K6 design, which is more in line with the tech levels of the rest of the show

therefore Brotherhood is superior
    more seriously: not being a big manga reader, i preferred Brotherhood overall, but it was a close thing

there are serious pacing issues with the early part of Brotherhood, but i think providing you keep in mind that it's a remake, and providing you've either read the manga or watched the original, that shouldn't be too much of a downside, and i think Brotherhood makes up for it in terms of plot and action
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    My watching of FMA will be eternally delayed by there being two versions that no one can agree on the quality of.
  • edited 2015-09-22 00:40:54
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The stories are entirely different after the point where they diverge, and Brotherhood skips and truncates most of what happened prior to the point where they diverge, so they're really entirely separate stories about the same cast of characters.

The first one works better as a stand-alone show, so if you only watch one, i'd say make it the first one.
  • edited 2015-09-22 00:42:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Go chronologically. The two series put together are still shorter than Hunter x Hunter before the Chimera Ant arc, and the second adaptation's first arc rushes the first two-thirds of the original adaptation into something like nine episodes, thus requiring exposure to either the first series or the manga.
    This is not helping
    Whether it's helping or not, i agree with Sredni.
  • kill living beings
    oh i should mention monogatari

i saw a pretty incidental scene from nisemonogatari (hanekawa talking sauce) and decided i should finish the thing, having seen bakemonogatari a while ago

i didn't watch past bakemonogatari before because i heard the rest of it was more reference-filled and sex-joke-filled but i turned out to actually like it better, at least when "it" means nekomonogatari and nisemonogatari because i haven't seen the rest

there are sex jokes i don't like and the toothbrush scene was pretty egh but overall it was way better than i had anticipated; i think watching with context kind of helps.

e.g., in tsubasa family there's a part where hanekawa tells araragi about how she got injured on the condition he promises not to tell anybody. once he hears it was domestic violence he wants to tell people anyway and she desperately says she'll do anything. he reacts with an "oh, really?" and goes on this little diatribe about how he needs to think about this carefully as she confusedly says he was just supposed to realize her determination. after a bunch of oh i can TOUCH her BOOB sorta stuff he eventually ends on "i want to lick your wound" which is, well, completely disgusting on several levels.

and then the scene un-jokes stylistically as araragi touches some of his saliva to it while explaining he can heal wounds that way. and i'm like, huh. he wasn't actually being a disgusting asshole, he was just acting like one because he's like eighteen and that's the kind of joke you make when you're eighteen. (or older. i might make shitty violent jokes now. possibly.) it ends up just kind of reinforcing that they're close friends.

plus kaiki is hilariously terrible and tsubasa tiger is one of those Anime Things I Totally Feel In My Soul, Man, so there's that.
    I need to revisit that series. I honestly never got past the second episode out of pure laziness.

On a different note, the roboticist entrepreneur dude Ajo from Key is a remarkably horrible person on so many levels. I mean, it's kind of obvious he's some kind of psychopath from the opening scene, but he is just... not so much pure evil in a stock way as that the only things he cares about are entirely removed from the realm of the human. It really is gross at points. Kudos, Sato. You wrote a real... winner.
  • kill living beings
    all the good evil scientists are like that. yeaaaah doc tenma
  • (*northernlion voice*) doctah wowie
    Tenma isn't evil. Unless you mean a different Tenma.

But yeah, most of them are. But the way Ajo talks about his machines and treats human beings is grotty and unsettling in a way that I do not encounter that often. He really is utterly devoid of empathy, and the way that he projects his strangely Freudian paternal ambitions onto the humanoid weapons he finances (which he uses his lieutenant to operate rather than sully his own hands) is coloured by that fact in a realistic way that just manages to make him more alien and horrible.
  • kill living beings
    tenma from astro boy.
    I should really read Pluto
  • kill living beings
    you should.

of course, in pluto he's cold, but in the original by tezuka he still makes a robotic clone of his son and then stops caring and sells him to a circus.
    Yes I remember that.

tenma from astro boy.

Ohhhh, that Tenma. Yeah, he's a piece of work.

I was thinking of Tenma from Monster.
  • kill living beings
    i figured. you kids and your newfangled tv shows i should probably watch
  • Odradek said:

I should really read Pluto

Pluto is great and I highly recommend it.
    I should watch Shirobako when I am more in the mood. Apparently its portrayal of the Japanese animation industry is incredibly accurate.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's too real. I've watched like one episode.
    I can do excessively real if the characters are interesting and fun.
  • edited 2015-09-23 22:50:05

i watched the first episode of katanagatari

in addition to having a very pretty art style, there were some very beautifully framed shots, some good music, and lots of funny and fast-paced dialogue
    The writer of the original light novels is the -monogatari guy, so the dialogue being really good makes sense.
  • naney said:

i watched the first episode of katanagatari

in addition to having a very pretty art style, there were some very beautifully framed shots, some good music, and lots of funny and fast-paced dialogue

I'll be interested to see what you think of the ending, when you get there.
  • kill living beings
    aka "the -gatari guy"
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    one gatari
  • kill living beings
    it's my understanding that this is like calling someone "the ook guy" for using "Book" and "Rook" as titles, but i don't care

btw i love how bakemonogatari actually translates really easy as Ghostory
  • Calica said:

one gatari

two gatari red gatari blue gatari

it's my understanding that this is like calling someone "the ook guy" for using "Book" and "Rook" as titles, but i don't care

btw i love how bakemonogatari actually translates really easy as Ghostory

I know, but the fact that a whole series of his is named with puns based on the word for "story" is fairly noteworthy.
  • on the episode of katanagatari

goofy and lighthearted BDSM subtext, i never thought i would see the day
    ^ Same.

I am watching The Vision of Escaflowne now. A bit silly, but in an interesting, fun way—mediaeval giant robot hallucinations, I kid ye not—and the fact that the main character is kind of a weirdo but not a loner is refreshing. Also, the Merlin Tarot? I had to look that shit up. Points to you, show, for using something I thought you made up and it turns out is just too obscure for me.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-09-25 22:48:46

I saw these 3DS themes in a video and thought they were just mockups somebody made, but apparently they actually exist, weird...
    Spoiler:

I know their chances of coming to North America are extremely low, but I can dream, I guess.
  • this is highly tangential, but I would love a smartphone in a matte white plastic like that with, say, a colorful home button
    So I had to walk away from that first episode to do other stuff and just came back to it and...

HOLY SHIT DUDE IS FIGHTING A LINDWORM THIS IS AWESOME.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

This is a cool OVA and yes, it is anime
    Japanese stop-motion is a different thing from anime, technically speaking, the latter being a slang term referring to 2D animation and television animation in particular.

That being said: Yes, that is very cool, and I am a-OK with talking about it in this thread until some enterprising soul makes a stop-motion thread. Which would be rad.
  • edited 2015-09-27 00:24:34
    Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

Japanese stop-motion is a different thing from anime, technically speaking, the latter being a slang term referring to 2D animation and television animation in particular.

That being said: Yes, that is very cool, and I am a-OK with talking about it in this thread until some enterprising soul makes a stop-motion thread. Which would be rad.

It's actually the beginning of the OVA, it shifts to anime in the second video part :V

The anime style is based on Moebius

• rokka braves of the six flowers continues to meld cool character designs and interesting plot ideas with the most generic, irritating anime soundtrack ever
  • kill living beings
    xeniera who is a music student got like obsessed witith the second OP

it is pretty funny to watch
  • i feel conflicted about this show