Anime

Comments

• the music is bad, the pacing is clunky, the digitally animated fiends range from "good uncanny valley" to "just plain bad"

but the character design is so great and so many of the characters are interesting and also the plot has a way of sucking you in
  • show gets bonus points for having a "im an ordinary guy with the power of believing in myself" dude and a tsundere character who seem really fleshed out and well-rounded
  • kill living beings
    finale was basically awesome except for the sequel hook and this music

seriously, what is this fanfare
  • kill living beings
    yeah

also i almost guessed right! hooray
  • my guess was that it was gonna turn out that there was no 7th somehow, was thrown for a loop
  • in other news, this review has sold me:

"Think of an awful piece of high fantasy. Imagine the convoluted and frequently contradictory world-building; the revolving door of characters who all get long names and complicated back stories even when they’re only around for two episodes; the hilariously overwrought melodrama; the convenient magical items; that one weird, gratuitous scene with all the naked ladies; and, of course, the dragons. Then add hilaribad CG, animation increasingly lacking in key frames to the point where characters are basically sliding across the screen like they’re in a Williams Street show, and oh, what the hell, throw in a couple more dragons, too.

There you go. That’s Chaos Dragon. It’s a trainwreck. It’s GREAT. I so rarely get to enjoy the bad anime because they’re bad in all the ways that drive me away: The characters are insufferable or the fanservice is too crass or the story is just plain boring. Chaos Dragon is none of those things. Chaos Dragon tries so hard and it fails so spectacularly, and my watch-buddy and I had a blast with it. If you enjoy reasonably inoffensive fantasy nonsense, crack open a beer and invite some friends over for an AnimeT3K night. You might have as much fun as we did."
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I forgot it was David Sylvian who did the closing theme to Monster, and my gods, the vocal version is lovely.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I was going through Slyvian's discography some months back, starting with his earliest works, and then forgot about it for... whatever reason(s). It really is lovely. Real shame it's no longer on Netflix, even if I could just watch or read it again through totally legal means.
    Yeah, when it lapsed from streaming I was a very sad mustelid.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I only really like Japan's first album, although I like scattered singles from them thereafter.

Sylvian is still a pretty cool guy, though.
    Slightly more on-topic: Tsurugi from Key the Metal Idol is one creepy, nasty son of a bitch. He's not even an antagonist per se, more a side character, but he is such an unnerving portrait of pathological, barely sublimated sexual sadism and narcissistic perfectionism that it is hard not to cringe.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Wow, Sunrise actually is streaming the new Gundam on more than one service for once
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    rokka braves of the six flowers was pretty good, aside from the fact that i'm practically laughing at what the ending pulled
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Watched the first episode of Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. It was actually really good.
  • edited 2015-10-05 07:21:58
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    nobody will have an answer for me (because i extensively searched on my own for eternity), but are there any animes out there where the mechs don't look like people

i've already watched:
    • dragon's heaven
    • FLAG
  • edited 2015-10-05 07:26:52
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    m, i keep forgetting about zoids. zoids is like, on the opposite side of what I want (and as far away as Peoplemechs) though - pretty literal dinosaurs/lions/animals with guns.

a few animes have good side-character mechs, like how macross has the destroids and the glaug officer pod, but they rarely get good screentime and when they do it's mostly just getting blowned up.
  • edited 2015-10-05 13:44:05
    Hahahahaha, Zoids was so dumb. I watched Chaotic Century again a few months ago and it was really, stupendously dumb.
  • zoids had this weird aesthetic that I haven't seen in any show past the mid-2000s

it was like a blend of 90s design and stereotypical anime, Megaman Zero and .hack had the same aesthetic too
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Chaotic Century has Mark "Domon Kasshu" Gatha in the dub so I can't hate it (also Moonbay is cool)
  • New Century Zero had Light Yagami as the arrogant rival guy.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Zoid toys were some of my favorites, although I didn't buy many.
    I'm sad that Zoids isn't on Netflix or Hulu or Funimation.
  • I admit I have a bit of a nostalgic connection with Zoids, but it can be quite dumb.

Models were fun to play with though, even if some of them were a bitch to put together.
  • kill living beings
    ougi is really something

a personification of authorship, I guess

s/he cannot have lied

I want to say "creepy", but s/he's not, although s/he looks like that

how rude of me
  • kill living beings
    rides a fixie, though

disgusting
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    One Punchnime is a thing that exists now
    Hozuki no Reitetsu is hilarious and y'all should seek out the ending song because wow.
    Or maybe it is just the first episode opening? Regardless. Snapdragons. Wow.
  • So the first episode of the new Lupin III anime is everything I hoped it would be. The voices and the character's personalities were spot on, the designs of the character look both familiar and new at the same time. The anime feels so much like the second Lupin TV series (while still doing it's own thing) and that is something that make me very happy, since the second TV series is how I was introduced to Lupin III in the first place. The opening is a remix of the first opening of the second TV series, which for many American fans is iconic and they even have middle of the show animations whenever a commercial break starts and stops just like the second TV series. Really, really looking forward to the rest of the season. I'm definitely going to have to show this in the anime club at some point.
    0vvvv0 said:

Hozuki no Reitetsu is hilarious and y'all should seek out the ending song because wow.

:D

You finally watching Hozuki no Reitetsu? I'm glad you found it hilarious. I knew it would be your type of humor.
    ^^ The beau loves it, too!
  • 0vvvv0 said:

^^ The beau loves it, too!

I can tell by his new choice of avatar. I'm really glad to hear y'all like it, as it's one of the gems I can across while reading manga for my obscure manga thread (which I really really need to get back to).

i dont know anything about this show but i want to watch it b/c this lady has the greatest eyebrows in anime history
    What little I've seen of Chaika didn't engage me too much, though I'll probably give it another shot later. I know glenn watched it through, though.
  • it looks like a pretty average show, but i can deal with average if there is something to balance it out like a lady w/ cool eyebrows
  • those eyebrows are, as the kids would say, "on fleek"
  • unrelatedly, the beau and i watched part of the first episode of Maoyu while we were together

there were jiggling bosoms and lots and lots and lots of economics
  • edited 2015-10-11 04:51:23
    kill living beings
    wamuu's last words are p gay

i do find this honor thing kind of tiresome though givne how they were introduced

edit WELP that was fixed like five minutes later, nevermind
  • I have heard that Chaika is absolutely terrible unless you're in it for the schlock factor.
    i've heard its great if you're the sort of person who likes making gifs at least
  • I have heard that Chaika is absolutely terrible unless you're in it for the schlock factor.

but she's cute
    actually i think a lot of people do like chaika
  • Robotics;Notes is OK.
  • she chopped a unicorn in half with her gun
    Hunter X Hunter finally got licensed
  • she tried to bake bread with her gun
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Zeether said:

Hunter X Hunter finally got licensed

Good... bad... I'm the guy on permanent hiatus
    I'm the guy with the crippling stomach illness