ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• Much easier in Photoshop though!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I associate that gradient with WordArt from Microsoft Office 97, myself
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • the construction of the Death Star
    or not

it was for this
  • edited 2014-05-19 08:12:12
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    So, Blockbuster wanted into the theme park business, essentially?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That's kind of hilarious, somehow
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I just saw the new Happy Meal mascot that Twitter is flipping out about. It needs more RAN RAN RUUUUUU.
  • he's too human

it's the Uncanny Valley coming into play again; if he were rendered in 2D he'd be fine
    You know what that mascot kind of reminds me of? The much-maligned Arby's Oven Mitt mascot, who came and went within the space of a few months during 2003-2004.
    Oh man, the oven mitt...I'm surprised Betty Crocker General Mills didn't sue over that.
    Oh wow, I have a vague memory of that...
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I've never wanted a country to reject a mascot so badly before this moment
    We need to go back and erase Despicable Me from existence so people will stop copying the goddamn minions
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I thought you liked the minions or was that another you
    Mac Guff, a French animation studio, is behind both Despicable Me and the Happy ads...

I actually do like DM's aesthetic, but please erase the sequel from existence because holy fuck it is sad to see a franchise degenerate so fast
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I swear to god if I see an ad with that little fucker and that overplayed song
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-05-21 01:52:21

We need to go back and erase Despicable Me from existence so people will stop copying the goddamn minions

The Minions themselves are the Rabbids by a different name

Well, mild difference: besides looking different, in their default state the Minions aren't batshit insane, but the second film renders them such when they're under the effects of the serum thing so functionally they are the Rabbids after that

(Also, in the movie, said serum thing is tested on a bunny. Food for thought.)
    also: the Rabbids, the Minions, and the Happies are all French!
  • OH SHIT never noticed that

Guess there's something indescribably French about unhinged mascots
    I like the minions, even though I haven't seen either Despicable Me yet...

Of course, this may be the character equivalent of using a word because it sounds good, not because you actually know what it means.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Toy-Story-3-Aliens.jpg
  • See?  The minions are so bad that they went back in time and influenced the LGMs!
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-05-23 20:47:46
    admittedly, the Happies are more appealing in motion than in stills 

I took a crack at redoing their design in 2D, though:

Gotta say, I think it's a better fit.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    honestly they'd like fine in 3d if their eyes didn't look so stupid but alackaday their eyes look so stupid that they don't look fine in 3d because their eyes look so stupid
    eww
  • -repeated and sustained hissing-
    speaking of the Disney Channel...I just solved another years-old mystery of mine!

It turns out that the theme song to this:

As soon as I heard the song again, I was like "This has to be Network Music, all of their songs sound like this".

Argggggh, what is the music on this (1:23 in in case it doesn't seek)? I know it's production music, since I found it before, but I can't remember its name...
    Found it: 

And yes, it is an APM library track, what a surprise. XD
  • edited 2014-05-27 22:34:16
    Best quality "silver ball" logos I've found so far: 

I wonder if Klein& or Calico had access to a Scanimate or a Picture System or some other early CGI gear. There's definitely some motion-control shots going on, especially in the TRON-looking closedown.
  • edited 2014-05-27 22:39:05
    Also, I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before, but...damn if I don't feel like breaking out into "You make us the onnnnnnnneeeeee..." while watching some of these, especially the pinball machine one.
  • So, did the network ever refer to itself as 'Nick' during that period?
  • To answer my own question, apparently so:

Nice. Looking at it from a modern perspective, the current logo has to be a throwback to that one.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    nick na-nick nick na-nick-nick-nick

nickelodeon
    NBCU's been using variations on this logo since 2012

It looks like the sort of logo that would PARODY corporate consolidation...
    It really does
    maybe the logo designers are subtly expressing their displeasure

What were they thinking? That's the most ill-advised attempt at a "fresh", "modern" logo I have ever seen. They completely ruined their own image with that change. I know that Google's an Internet company and they change logos every other week, but I thought that Google's iconic logo would be immune to this. But I was wrong. I feel betrayed, Google.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Oh vei. So much keming.
    Maybe one day a weird "g" that @Anonus drew will be on top of Jon Stewart's head.