ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

So who else thinks that the World Cup version of Google's logo looks a lot better than the regular version? Seriously, just take out the football and that armband(?) thing on the "L" and that would be a fine all-purpose logo.
  • eh it's too "playful" imho
  • I agree with you both, actually

On a professional level, Wilhelm has a point, but aesthetically I think it's rad and fun
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I think if Google wants to look professional, they should ditch the color scheme in their regular logo. Proprietary serif font plus beach ball color scheme ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's not proprietary.

Also, I don't disdain the Google logo, not since they un-uglified it at least...

Google's non-logo identity demonstrates a flair for design that gives Apple a run for its money, but no one really commends them for it that I've seen...
  • hey

hey guys

guess what i found

the logos of telos

:D

• signature
  • My dreams exceed my real life

hey

hey guys

guess what i found

the logos of telos

The telos of logos is selling shit
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    HAY CA:

Yes, this was a real phone company, and I saw this logo a lot back when I was living in Charlottesville and Palmyra.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    hehehe

I actually Googled that to see if it was real when I came up with my Centel

But I used it anyway :P
  • when did wendy rebrand.  this question came up with @buttercrispy in the car
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I want to say March of last year? Though there were a few prototype restaurants in the Columbus area that had the new look before then, albeit with the previous logo.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    unveiled October 2012, first deployed March 2013
    I love how you knew that off the top of your head and Wendy's doesn't even operate in your country.
    when Brand New reviewed their logo they said it was planned for a March 2013 introduction

Wendy's is memorable to me because Imi
    I had no idea the "Metro symbols" had a proper name. I know I'll probably always associate them with the Washington Metro, since that's where I first saw most of them.
    Oooh, nice! I'd like to see those as a TrueType font...
    Inadvertent lookalikes: 1stBank 1978, USA Network 2005
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-28 19:06:46
    Maybe it's a "used to it" thing, but I like the USA variant better

feels more natural
  • edited 2014-06-28 19:08:53
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    When USA introduced their current logo it took me ages to figure out what it reminded me of
    In "logo tweaks nobody noticed" news, this debuted last year:

I don't wanna be that guy, but...could you point out the difference to me?
    This is the old version:

Whoever did the new one cleaned it up a bit; the top of the "R" is neater, and the "E" and the "L" are closer together.
    Indeed, the amendment to the logo seems to have been done to make it more legible at small sizes (since Disney took over, they've placed it atop the logos of their movies and TV series, as Disney does their own).
  • edited 2014-07-01 19:25:58
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have to say, i prefer the new version

not that i would have noticed had you not drawn attention to the change, but looking at them side by side
    Oooooh I see.

It's funny; sometimes improving things so subtly can be better than an outright overhaul, and I think this is one of those times.
    At this point the Marvel logo is so widely recognized that a tweak that goes unnoticed by most people is better for the brand than changing the logo completely.
  • edited 2014-07-01 19:30:04
    well, the old logo wasn't *bad*

this way the iconic image is retained, but it looks better

how much attention the average consumer pays to these things, i've no idea, but it's certainly close enough that it's still recognizable as the Marvel logo, which is what you want

...and you already said that more succinctly
    The "MARVEL" lettering, in some form, actually dates to the 1960s:

The logo was dug up and redone in the early years of Ike Perlmutter's reign, and I imagine the red coloration is in reference to Spider-Man, who's been their mascot for years (they're lucky, though, that Iron Man's costume is also predominantly red, and he's got a serious claim to the title of their mascot now too)
    that kind of red is a distinctive, bold colour anyway so i don't think it would matter

probably for that reason, a number of Marvel's superheroes incorporate it into their costumes in one way or another; Captain America is another prominent one, also Deadpool
    Red connotes excitement, perhaps aggression

Marvel's fellow male-skewing Disney stablemate, ESPN, uses it prominently as well
  • edited 2014-07-01 19:39:50
    aye

it's also generally eye-catching, which can't hurt
    You know what else is red??

I call conspiracy!
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Obligatory:

i like that obligation
    Another thing on CLG that's bugged me for a while:

Has the 1965 logo ever been seen in the wild? As far as I know, that crappy redraw has been there for ages, with no updates at all.
    what would it even have been on?
    That's a good question. If it were spotted anywhere, it'd be on old (pre-Viacom) prints of pre-1960 CBS stuff.
  • edited 2014-07-02 20:52:43
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The fact that logo predated commercial VCRs by a good decade or so doesn't help the chances of finding it, either.
    Yeah. If it shows up at all, it'd be on an old 16mm print somewhere.
    This is probably my favorite Paramount TV logo, pre-1987 anyway:

And yes, that's because it was on Star Trek. XD
    And okay, the CLG people are definitely getting Scanimate work confused with multi-pass backlit cel animation, because look at this demo reel:

Cel animation doesn't have that "The Price is Right end credits" squash-and-stretch to it.
  • edited 2014-07-02 22:11:42
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Scanimate was good at transforms, raster effects and Lissajous-powered derezzing and starburst effects (which they use a lot in this reel). It's not so good at things like shining effects, zooming text (streak timing), or other tricks that only work well on film.

Even the colors were added later using other equipment (Scanimate was grayscale).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

The "MARVEL" lettering, in some form, actually dates to the 1960s:

The logo was dug up and redone in the early years of Ike Perlmutter's reign, and I imagine the red coloration is in reference to Spider-Man, who's been their mascot for years (they're lucky, though, that Iron Man's costume is also predominantly red, and he's got a serious claim to the title of their mascot now too)
    I like Jack Kirby's Spaceman designs.
    I know I've said this before, but someone at INSP is a logo fan. They actually re-typed the text on the logos when they couldn't find an icon version...the 1964 Universal Television logo became "Filmed at the studios of Universal City - MCA-TV Exclusive Distributor" in the lower third.
    Also, I'm really surprised that (to my knowledge) Columbia Pictures has never used "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean" over their logo.
    Speaking of the "Zooming GLobe", I still wonder how they pulled that off in the early 1960s. Digital motion-control cameras were still years off.
    Manually?
    Well, yeah, but I wonder how they kept everything synced up. That and the ghosts of the Van Allen rings after the logo finishes zooming in.
    I haven't seen the 2010 Hasbro Studios logo in a while. I'd actually forgotten how awesome it is.