ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    idk why but that G really bugs me
  • huh, I didn't know our "General Media Discussion" category had a logo.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Fun fact: I almost named it "Media General" in reference to the media company, but did not.
    Tachyon said:

idk why but that G really bugs me

it's drawn in an unorthodox manner
  • The Media General is a terrifying dictatorial figure who controls all television.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    so that's whose fault it is

The Media General is a terrifying dictatorial figure who controls all television.

actually it refers to this company

they just got done merging with LIN Media

you may notice my relative (public) silence on the deal
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, it looks very late-1970s.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Does this remind anybody of, say, a more prominent brand?

how long have they been using that?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know. I'd guess it predates the Windows 8 logo, but I don't know for sure.
    So anyway, Seagate changed its logo again

I'm not sure why this was necessary. In fact, I thought something had happened to them when I went to their site yesterday to get SeaTools...
  • I think someone got worried that the previous logo looked like tracks on magnetic media which Is Dead.

Besides boardrooms love playing with logos.  Cynics might say that they do less damage that way.
    This is a bit late, but while I'm on that subject: 

The way the stylised logo is angled, the humanist typeface, the applications...it's kind of creepy, actually. :P
  • the sans serifs are different

Seagate's is Avenir, I can't quite tell what Rimage's is (I want to say it's Scala Sans but that's off)...
  • also how old is the Rimage logo? it looks like something from 1993-94
    Mid-1990s, I think...I know they were using it when I first started working for my uncle in 1998.
    There's an amusingly large number of variations on the Kroger logo still in use.

There's the original 1960s version, with the flat colors...

There's the 2000s version with the overly glossy shading...

There's the all-blue verison they use on their more recent packaging...

And then the one that's actually on the cards is a weird 3D-rendered one that doesn't seem to have been used elsewhere:

And that's not even counting the one they use on signage that's just the wordmark without the holding shape:

Of course, some locations just can't be bothered:

• That last one is American laziness at its finest.
    Bonus picture: "That ought to do it"

(Observant viewers will notice this is the same store as the one three posts back)
    Facebook has a new logo

Eric Olson himself designed it

Though I wonder if Facebook ditching it means Klavika is officially out of style
    Ah yes, the classic evil company wanting to look more "friendly" category of rebranding
  • This is one of those rebrands that just makes you sort of scratch your head and wonder why the company at hand even bothered.

It's fine as far as visual appeal goes, but I honestly can't see why the change was necessary, especially since most of the time you're using the service you won't see the full logo anyway (unlike Tumblr, who consistently used their full wordmark until last year).
  • i like the new one a lot more tbh
  • Also, while Facebook's on the brain, I just need to point out something that irks me:

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    and the occasional orange or rainbow
    black and yellow, black and yellow :/
  • http://gizmodo.com/logitech-is-changing-its-name-to-logi-because-tech-me-1716336406

...not feeling it. I feel like they're trying so hard to modernize that they're ditching stuff that they've built brand equity with. (Also, how do you say the shortened name? Long I, short I?)

I'll admit, though, the "g" is a clever nod to the old logo, contrived as it may be.
    The new green is going to take some getting used to but I think I actually like it better than the old one.

• I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    It's a very minty colour. I like it. 

My only concern is a very superficial one - I organize my phone apps by colour, and I'm not sure it'll fit into its row properly any longer. :P
  • god that is one of my favorite shades of green

i love minty green so much
    I like that they went with a flat color instead of the barely-noticeable-so-why-bother gradient of the old one
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I love that flat colour logos are becoming more common lately in general, actually. I think they look a lot cleaner and more likeable. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm not a fan of the minty look, but I like the flatness and simplicity more.
  • I like that it's minty but vibrant, gives it a nice uniqueness where other mints (Vine, Hangouts, etc.) tend to keep things fairly muted.

It's a good evolution of the brand. The mark is stronger without a gradient anyway, it really opens it up for further experimentation and applications.
    i want to eat it
  • The new green is going to take some getting used to but I think I actually like it better than the old one.

I like the new color of the ball in the logo, but I wish they had kept the text black.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

i want to eat it

Odradek said:

Anonus said:

i want to eat it

Fun fact: Anonus has synesthesia, so when he says he wants to eat a logo, he means it literally tastes good to him. :P

Somehow I doubt Disney signed off on this
    >2015
    >Disney
    >ABC

Not every post I make has to relate to your fantasy world, you know.
    it was a joke silly
    Google seems to like its "preschool picture book" letters
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    not bad
    I like it. It's definitely more in keeping with Google's current aesthetics than the old logo was...