ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Hub Network logo slogan

I'm amused by the implication that family is usually not fun.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's clearly a shot at ABC Family

ABC Inc is falling apart :P
    (although their version of the channel is still "The Hub" and doesn't use this logo and um yeah)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

My headcanon for this is "that's the producers committing suicide after Kirk Cameron made one too many bitchy demands on them". :P
    ah, closing logos

the one time the producers of these shows got to do anything interesting
  • oh wow

harsh
  • edited 2014-02-15 05:48:31
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, considering they did eventually give up on the show and let Warners deal with it for, like, the last season or two...

Keep in mind this is more about Kirk Cameron being a dick (and, from all account, he was) than anything the producers did. They put up with him the best they could.
    Did they have any trouble with Alan Thicke? Valuable Lessons taught us that he's not a nice guy...
    I actually don't know if Alan Thicke was responsible for any dickery there.
  • edited 2014-02-15 23:34:38
    kill living beings
    still looking for 'feed back' on the isn logo i post'd if possibly

imageFormer ISN president Randolf Menzel commissioned the ISN logo in the late 1980s. He wrote, “The idea I had in mind when I talked to the graphics person was to illustrate in an abstract form the concentric shells of different levels in neural systems (from neurons to cognition), the input-output relationships with the external world, and the communication between such abstract subjects in the ‘universe.’”

this is the log of the international society for neuroethology. it looks sketchy to me. criticize

"neuroethology" is a branch of science that seeks to understand the neural basis of natural animal behavior.

weren't there a fair amount of "hand-drawn"-looking logos in the '80s
  • Anonus said:

Did they have any trouble with Alan Thicke? Valuable Lessons taught us that he's not a nice guy...

I was about to say "isn't that the guy who sung the rape song" but then realized that the fact that his dad was the growing pains guy was pointed out during that whole miley bullshit
    Anonus said:

imageFormer ISN president Randolf Menzel commissioned the ISN logo in the late 1980s. He wrote, “The idea I had in mind when I talked to the graphics person was to illustrate in an abstract form the concentric shells of different levels in neural systems (from neurons to cognition), the input-output relationships with the external world, and the communication between such abstract subjects in the ‘universe.’”

this is the log of the international society for neuroethology. it looks sketchy to me. criticize

"neuroethology" is a branch of science that seeks to understand the neural basis of natural animal behavior.

weren't there a fair amount of "hand-drawn"-looking logos in the '80s
    I actually hadn't seen that one before you posted it...

I still mourn the 1984-2009 Nickelodeon logo scheme

Why did they get rid of these shapes, they had an odd surreal quality to them
  • I would greatly enjoy a combination of the old logo scheme with the new wordmark

The current KCA blimp is an example of how cool that could be, and it's pretty nice lookin'
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It amuses me how so many of the 1990s ones have gratuitous 3D.
  • edited 2014-03-02 18:31:45
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The '90s 3D ones were usually used for on-air bumpers (see here); the atom logo in particular appeared at the end of the early seasons of All That and Kenan and Kel...

Also, I don't like the current wordmark. It's too hacked-up looking...
    One nice touch I noticed when they put up the title cards for the Best Picture nominees: They have fake credits with the ABC and AMPAS logos in them, to make them look more like a poster.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Holy shit:

It's the entire ABC 1983 fall promo reel. With a fast vocal of That Special Feeling.

Did anyone tell Samsung about this:

• edited 2014-03-11 22:53:30
    I was just watching ABC's 1984-1985 promo, and now I'm wondering where they shot it. It was obviously somewhere where they had both Safeway and 7-Eleven...it had a carton of Lucerne milk and a Big Gulp cup in it, completely un-greeked.

high fashion logo design here
    lee4hmz said:

Holy shit:

It's the entire ABC 1983 fall promo reel. With a fast vocal of That Special Feeling.

Just Our Luck

Yeah, that was a bad idea from the start,but ABC had high hopes for it, for some reason. The star even appeared on the 1983 Saturday morning preview special!
    Confession: I find the "K" in the Kmart logo attractive:

...it kinda is.
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    BOOOOOOOONER
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    In news nobody except me is going to care about, Atlus have changed their logo.

Old

New
  • edited 2014-03-31 19:16:16
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The second logo distinctly feels like some sort of placeholder font prior to the creation of the first logo.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-31 19:49:25
    I'd like the second notably more if not for the weird spacing between the letters (although I've gotten used to seeing "ATLUS" condensed like the first logo, so maybe it'll just take some getting used to).

I've seen worse redesigns.
  • The second logo distinctly feels like some sort of placeholder font prior to the creation of the first logo.

I agree but I also kinda think the second logo looks better.

Dunno.
    I guess it was only a matter of time...

(That's a link, for the record...stupid theme)
  • edited 2014-04-23 19:54:17
    You know how the Nationwide Children's Hospital has a shitty logo? The Children's Hospital network in Colorado doesn't. For ages it looked like this:

Then, around 2006, it got a redesign that was absolutely perfect:

The thing was simple enough anyway, but THAT is the essence of a successful logo update. Amazing how this organization has more sense about its logo than many major corporations do!
    Aww man, that's an awesome logo!
    And the old one was first used in November 1979...

Hunting for this again to post it made me see how kind of saccharine a lot of "Children's Hospital" logos are. That this one not only avoided that, but managed to be updated in a way that gave it more appeal is commendable.
    Agreed.
    my comment:

I was skeptical until I saw it in red.

I don't dislike it, I'm glad they kept what made the original work without making it utterly unrecognizable. It'll grow on me for sure, and I'd love to see a white-on-red variant.

We don't have a fonts thread, so: 

I've been looking for the origin of this one for some time, and it turns out it's an old ATF font. :D
  • edited 2014-05-13 23:41:47
    I was thinking of the pre-1993 Program Exchange logo, and I'm pretty sure someone played the music on a polysynth with an arpeggiator. It kind of sounds like the auto-arpeggiator the Roland Jupiter keyboards had. 

Also, if they started using it around 1984 or so, MIDI was in its infancy and so that wouldn't have been an option.I suppose they could have used an analog CV/gate sequencer, but that'd be overkill for a 3-note pattern.
    You have me thinking now of my desire to get my hands on some old synth keyboard and bang out '90s Gari-esque songs...
    Also, every time I hear "Show Me Your Firetruck" from the Backdraft soundtrack, I can't resist tacking on the Fuji TV logo sounder at the end. :P
  • i wanna take a moment to appreciate the Deafheaven logo

'cuz it just meshes with the vibe the band has so well
  • Don't we have a fonts thread?

WHY don't we have a fonts thread?
  • edited 2014-05-14 02:34:13
  • Then yay, we have a fonts thread?!
    http://books.google.com/books?id=XrIceI56DbsC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q&f=false

Oh man, I had no idea that "sky and sand" gradient was around in 1986...I always figured it was a Photoshop preset (it's shown up several times in SBAHJ).
  • It's a traditional airbrush artist technique, way older than any kind of computer graphic.  Airbrushes date back to the late 19th Century, and I'm pretty sure that that style of depicting chrome goes back to the fifties or sixties, if not earlier.
    Ah, I didn't know that.