ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• edited 2014-07-14 04:29:50
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    More comic book logo talk!

I know that DC has retired the 2005 logo, and good riddance to it, but it's still such a downgrade from its predecessor:

The Bullet was kind of long in the tooth by 2005, but their idea of "modernizing" it looks like it was spat out of the same machine that has spat out most of the sports logo updates in recent times. Its replacement, while a bit better, still looks overly corporate and bland (at least by default):

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Eww
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Just...too wordy, Fox, too wordy.
  • the fucking fuck is with that 2
    That's how the 20th Century Fox "2" is supposed to look, really

You're just seeing it from an unflattering angle
  • I feel like that uses 5 different sets of type

That's impressive in its own right
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Why not just, like, use the plain 20th Century Fox logo but with a "TELEVISION DISTRIBUTION" subtitle? That would be more aesthetically pleasing, I'd think...
    Because Rupert Murdoch's Fox has made it a point to piss all over the iconic 20th Century Fox logo
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Considering how '90s it is, I'm surprised the old logo lasted as long as it did
    Same.
  • edited 2014-08-18 17:00:48
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    It's also surprising that the old logo lasted so long given that it lost any aesthetic sense after the World Wildlife Fund forced the 'F' to be removed in 2002.
    Local TV logo design in the year 2014, everybody:

holy PowerPoint, Batman
    Supposedly Microsoft China "leaked" a possible Windows 9 logo last week:

I can see what they're going for, but I dunno, somehow it doesn't do it for me.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    it feels a bit gimmicky to me
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-09-07 16:35:45
    Ehhhhhh, no

The wordmark's set in what appears to be Century Gothic, for one (which goes against pretty much all of MS's design standards dating back to at least the Vista days). The panels have a little more legitimacy, but there's something in me that feels unconvinced given how recent the switch to the W8 panels was.

#boneralert
    So anyway, I'm watching HLN for some reason, and omg Nationwide got rid of the square and went back to the N for real...and they animated the bird, something I wanted them to do way back in 1989-1990!
    I forgot to mention that...
    you know what I don't know how to make the Columbus Clusterf**k logo parodic because real sports logos have gotten there:

Funny, I was thinking about the Columbus Clusterf**k the other day

You know any NFL team here would be driven out by an angry mob of college football fans
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Supposedly Microsoft China "leaked" a possible Windows 9 logo last week:

I can see what they're going for, but I dunno, somehow it doesn't do it for me.
    lol
    so that RubberDucks logo was designed by Brandiose, a firm that is, among other logos, responsible for this identity

the team's name is the Stockton Ports, and I don't know which side of the process led to stuff like Not-Popeye menacingly wielding big asparagus and such...
    I wonder if they ever abbreviate "Stockton Ports" as "S'Ports"

I know the "B" shape is a reference to the Hanna-Barbera splotch logos that appeared in the title cards of their early cartoon shorts...are the stars a reference to the Swirling Star?
    Possibly...could also be generic pixie dust, but who knows?
    Or a reference to a certain animation smear effect present in Golden Age H-B material...
    Remember a while back, how I said it was weird that Columbia Pictures seemingly never used "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean" over the Torch Lady? Well, it turns out they did, in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington...something I would have known if I'd ever watched that movie all the way through and not just the ending.

The new Finder icon is a cutie. Never knew that the box could work without the big stroke between the two "faces", but it does.
    ...That works surprisingly well, somehow
    celebrating the year 2000 with graphics from 1988
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    IN THE BEGINNING GOD SPOKE THE WORD AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD AND THE WORD WAS GOD
  • My dreams exceed my real life

What scared you all into time? Into body? Into shit? I will tell you; "the word." Alien Word "the." "The" word of Alien Enemy imprisons "thee" in Time, In Body. In Shit. Prisoner, come out. The great skies are open, I Hassan i Sabbah rub out the word forever. If you I cancel all your words forever. And the words of Hassan i Sabbah as also cancel. Cross all your skies see the silent writing of Brion Gysin Hassan i Sabbah: drew September 17, 1899 over New York.

PRISONERS, COME OUT

• edited 2014-11-15 03:55:42
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    This seems to be the only good picture of the old "Distributed by Warner Bros." closing logo out there:

I like its rendition of the WB shield - it's the typical wide one, as opposed to the narrower one they seem to prefer. But when they want a wide version of the shield, what do they do? Stretch out the narrower one! Do they not have access to a good picture of this version of the shield?
    Behold, this hideous revival of the Orion logo:

• whoever greenlit that "Ri" ligature at MGM needs to be promptly removed
    It was actually part of the original Orion wordmark...

That animation in general's pretty bad though...it makes Orion look like some chintzy, fly-by-night entity...

It's weird when Orion feels like it's too classy for fucking MGM (we all know they've seen better days, but of course they've gotten chintzy in recent years, though they're less chintzy now than they were like 10-15 years ago)
    Can you get more '80s than this:

are you reviving that
    Of course I am! I'm gonna stick it at the beginning of that new line of Hanna-Barbera cartoon videos that ABC Video Enterprises, Inc. (Obviously Not Warner Home Video) is releasing
    2013:

2014:

• I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I don't like the new colour as well. It doesn't match the rest of my phone icons as nicely. It's too blue to play nice with the row of green icons, and definitely too green to hang out with the blue icons. 
  • it's very minty
  • I feel like they changed it so Hangouts stands out a little more against stuff like the Apps section of the Play Store and the standard Android green.

I don't mind too much but eh. Most of the Material changes are welcome, IMO.

The more I look at Media General's logo, the more it bothers me. It looks it dates to the '70s or the '80s, and was hastily digitized in the '90s.

Moreover, Gannett got rid of their old globe logo a few years ago for looking too dated and not modern enough - this thing is begging to be replaced with a new logo!