The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2012-05-01 21:11:20
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I haven't played Shadowgate myself, but I'm familiar with it. I love the music theme that plays in the first two rooms.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

as you can see shadowgate is a wild and crazy game where only the most deft gamers armed with NES advantages have a hope of winning

• Looks pretty legit. :P

Nah, it does look interesting though.

The only Macintosh games I'm really all that familiar with are the Marathon series, its predecessor Pathways into Darkness, and a game called (IIRC) Nightmare #9

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I also think the torches are an interesting gameplay mechanic, though I can see how it might be a little annoying. It makes sense that you'd want a constant light source when you're exploring an evil wizard's castle.
  • Games with torches tend to be good for some reason.

The notable exception to that rule is The Note.

brrr.

• edited 2012-05-01 21:27:01
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I was looking up Shadowgate's music on YouTube, and what should I find in the related videos but Maniac Mansion! It's a very similar game to Shadowgate, but replace an adventurer exploring an evil wizard's castle with three teenagers exploring a mad scientist's house.

It's a little weird, but finding videos of that game is oddly nostalgic. It was one of the first NES games I found out about when I first started exploring the Internet. (Yes, I know it was originally a PC/Mac game.)

It was also a game that snuck a major one past nintendo and caused a shitstorm

They took out the "nude" statue, they censored Muff Diver, they cleaned up Ted's room -- they forgot about the microwave hamster bit though.  I still have my copy somewhere, Razor's theme is the best

• Tear down the establishment

Put up an establishment that is fundamentally the same as the old establishment, but with more hugs.
    What'd I tell ya? It's awesome!

And oh god, the microwave hamster. Yeah, show the mad scientist's son the mutilated remains of his beloved pet. That's a great idea!
    Yeah I love the music too. If I get a large enough portion of this game completed, when I look for a composer I'm definitely going to include the requirement that they understand Shadowgate's/Uninvited's music themes
  • You could ask our own Naney to make a score.

Though I don't know if he's acquainted with said themes.

I'd do it myself but well, I'm kind of a shit musician, really.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So I had an idea for a children's book about Princess Magic™.

It's about this young princess. One day her royal caretaker (whatever that would be called) tells her all about how she'll grow up to be a queen someday. This drives the little girl crazy because she assumes becoming a queen means losing her princess magic, so she attempts to cast a spell that will keep her from ever growing up.

...I haven't figured out the ending yet.
  • ^ a bollywood dance number
    ^ US Marines landing, destroying everything
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    both of the above
  • Looking  back on it

Gundam 00 was complicated

both of the above

interviewer: "so...ma'm, why exactly did you choose to end this book with Bollywood-style dancing marines?"

Central Avenue: "let me tell you a story about some friends of mine..."

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Perhaps she comes across photos and memorabilia from her mother's coronation, and decides that hey, maybe growing up isn't so bad after all.
  • While doing a Bollywood routine with US Marines?

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Today has been such a waste.
  • So.

I attempted to defend my decision to read Junie B books in public today.

Turned out just as badly as when I tried to explain Watership Down (and citing that event in my argument only made things worse; why is it that people can't take rabbits seriously?)
    if it ever becomes a major motion picture they'll be thrilled to know that the US Marines would be only too happy to do a bollywood style dance routine for free
    I own three rabbits. Trust me, lagomorphs pressing the gravity of the hour just isn't a feasible concept
  • Watership Down is like

grim, though.

Only similar book that's worse is Plague Dogs.

if it ever becomes a major motion picture they'll be thrilled to know that the US Marines would be only too happy to do a bollywood style dance routine for free

Y'know what?

I believe you, honestly.

I was surprised by the grimness of Watership Down when I read it in sixth grade...

I also want to read it again someday. Someday.
    Yeah, Watership Down is pretty dark.

Why were you reading Junie B books in public though?
  • Hm.

I read Jostein Gaardner's Sophie's Garden (might have the title wrong) in middle school.

It was an....interesting experience.

Are you sure it wasn't Sophie's Choice
  • Sophie's World, apparently.

And I added an "n" to the author's name, it's Jostein Gaarder.

• edited 2012-05-01 22:07:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Gaarder wrote Sophie's World, although those titles are easily muddled I guess.

ninja'd
  • I struck up a conversation with someone who was reading Hardy Boys in a wine bar once. I suspect the only way to get away with it is to act like it's not a thing in need of defense.
  • The ending of the book quite depressed me in middle school. It doesn't so much anymore, but I haven't read it since.

Same with As Simple As Snow (which, if any of you know it, you'll know it as "that book about that Anna Cayne girl"), which I have still never been able to determine if it's actually based off of real life events as it says it is.

There is a book called 69 Things to Do with a Dead Princess

I need this book, just for the title
    I should read Sophie's World. I keep meaning to.

Over Easter I discovered a bunch of old books I read as a kid.  A lot of them were my mother's old books, stuff like Milly-Molly-Mandy and Teddy Bear Robinson.  Pages falling out, decades old crayon scribbles and everything.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    So I got The Circus of Dr Lao and Roadside Picnic off of Amazon. Looking forward to reading both.
  • Fouria: It's a good book. It's a very strange book though, don't expect a typical "resolves stuff" ending.
    I'm thinking about going to bed; I'm starting to feel a little tired for some reason. Good night.

I just purchased a collection of Washington Irving's tales along with a nicer copy of The Idiot At Home by Bangs than I originally found. God I love his writing

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Actually, who'd be interested if I made a thread about what books we're reading?
  • That's that book you excerpt in your comic from time to time, isn't it, Corporal?

I should look into that, it seems interesting. It's a satire, right?

Actually, who'd be interested if I made a thread about what books we're reading?

do eet

I still need to read Under the Volcano, now that I think of it.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

I would.

also hi everyone

We had such a thread, but it got buried.
    I would post in that thread.  And then you'd see how little reading I actually finish.

Good night Gator.
    I keep reading Sherlock Holmes books lately, because I can get them free for my Kindle and I can't afford any not-public-domain books.
    What do you think of them?
    I like them. I've always been a fan of mysteries.
  • Why were you reading Junie B books in public though?
    Because it's hilarious and it puts a smile on my face.
    It's not like there's any other book where I can read stories with poor syntax and mistaken goat ownership