The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• thoughts about this year’s Crystal models

- user reactions to the piezoelectric/bottom firing speaker setup were mixed to positive, but we should be able to properly improve on it with a single downward facing speaker. the joys of progress!
    - you can still do so, so much with a single camera sensor as long as the software layer it depends on is strong enough to produce great photos
    - portrait mode is a must on both the selfie camera and the main sensor. it ain’t gonna turn your pics into professional shots, but it should give the appearance of depth in a meaningful, fun way
    - face unlocking will be there for people that want it, but the fingerprint sensor is staying, and it’s still going to be on the back underneath the camera
    - still keeping the headphone jack, dammit
    - Snapdragon 845
    - more storage spaaaaaaaace (and RAM)
    - 3500 mAh battery in the regular model, we’ll see what happens if we make a Plus
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sounds good to me!!
  • and some hardware design ideas

- sharp angles are fine for some folks but weird for others to hold. they’re striking in terms of visual appeal but comfort should remain a concern even though we can and should create something that’ll be distinctive
    - fuck notches, and we’re not doing curved displays, either
    - we’d have to find a way to match it with a metal (or other material) back, but Huawei’s gradiented P20 back plate is nice — but we can do better
    - 1440p display... maybe (harder to tell the difference on a phone than on larger screen sizes)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Headphone jack?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    headphone jill
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

now I want a breadstick.

ha! hoist by your own petard
  • So for whatever reason, Scooby Doo has been on the mind recently.

Particularly, something that sticks in my craw is that despite the fact Scooby Doo has existed as a pop culture thing in constant circulation with new material being put out regularly for half a century, nothing from it- to my knowledge- has ever elicited any sort of pathos in any major way. It's a property that's gotten by by being consistently middle of the line children's entertainment. Which is fine, I guess, but it's strange that there's never been a particularly good run of it.
    Hexartes said:

So for whatever reason, Scooby Doo has been on the mind recently.

Particularly, something that sticks in my craw is that despite the fact Scooby Doo has existed as a pop culture thing in constant circulation with new material being put out regularly for half a century, nothing from it- to my knowledge- has ever elicited any sort of pathos in any major way. It's a property that's gotten by by being consistently middle of the line children's entertainment. Which is fine, I guess, but it's strange that there's never been a particularly good run of it.
    It's my least favorite of H-B's big properties precisely because of the blandness of its traditional conception(s)

In my mind its defining trait is that it has benefited from two candidates for Greatest Voice Actor of All Time (Don Messick and Frank Welker)

Anyway, good runs: Pup Named (the only one I really liked as a kid), the early DTV movies, Mystery Incorporated (evidently, also a huge nerd love letter to H-B)
    no kidding, the thing that stirred me to give MI a go was that it featured the other scooby:

also Walt Peregoy (One Hundred and One Dalmatians) worked on the original series as a background designer and it shows

while you have me geeking out, let me say that I always thought Jabberjaw was more fun, despite being boring as shit because 1970s Saturday morning

incidentally, Frank Welker voiced its title character too, and always has even in like Harvey Birdman and Mystery Incorporated
  • Oh it's not that I don't see the value in it necessarily (which you weren't exactly defending, but I want to clarify). Just that I don't see there as being anything within it that ever elicited any strong emotions.
    yeah i feel ya there

it always just existed

there was a period from about 1998 to 2004 when it was on top of the world and there was merch everywhere (and Scooby himself has a VERY marketable design) so yeah i had some merch
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I suspect the "hallway of doors" gag and "There's no ghost—it's just old man Williams!" "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddlesome kids!" aren't going to fade away from the collective consciousness for at least a few more decades.
  • edited 2018-04-12 21:52:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Hexartes said:

Oh it's not that I don't see the value in it necessarily (which you weren't exactly defending, but I want to clarify). Just that I don't see there as being anything within it that ever elicited any strong emotions.

counterpoint: Scrappy Doo elicited alarmingly severe negative emotions from swathes of the internet
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    People say MI was really good, and presumably those people have strong emotions for it
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    MetaFour said:

I suspect the "hallway of doors" gag and "There's no ghost—it's just old man Williams!" "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddlesome kids!" aren't going to fade away from the collective consciousness for at least a few more decades.

Scooby Doo didn't invent the former, but i never see it referenced online without some allusion to Scooby Doo

indeed TV Tropes calls the concept Scooby-Dooby Doors, while noting that the gag predates television and was popularized in animation by Friz Freleng
    Tachyon said:

Hexartes said:

Oh it's not that I don't see the value in it necessarily (which you weren't exactly defending, but I want to clarify). Just that I don't see there as being anything within it that ever elicited any strong emotions.

counterpoint: Scrappy Doo elicited alarmingly severe negative emotions from swathes of the internet
    the enduring nerd rage against him has been something
    i have at times wondered if he ought to meet the Great Gazoo
    at any rate, is it weird that even when I was a kid, I preferred the Flintstones and the Jetsons (but even more so, Top Cat, and Huckleberry Hound, and Quick Draw McGraw, and Snagglepuss)
    oh, also underdog

and anytime rocky and bullwinkle was beamed in from another planet it was

transfixing

mr. peabody had an exceedingly memorable voice and personality and appearance
    i mean, none of that is weird because scooby doo is just not that great
    Speaking of Rocky and Bullwinkle:

I'm actually loving the voice casting here. Tara Strong does the Rocky voice much better than I would have expected, and Daran Norris pulls off this style of narration even better than Tom Kenny managed to on PPG's R&B parody episode.
  • Anonus said:

at any rate, is it weird that even when I was a kid, I preferred the Flintstones and the Jetsons (but even more so, Top Cat, and Huckleberry Hound, and Quick Draw McGraw, and Snagglepuss)

honestly I barely knew what any of those were when I was a kid

I guess I had heard of the flintstones and the jetsons but never actually watched them

I was way into scooby doo for a little while though

Anonus said:

I guess I had heard of the flintstones and the jetsons but never actually watched them

Which version(s)

Yeah, did Teletoon not play them much? H-B product - and classic animation in general - was big on OTA TV here for a long time, but then Ted bought H-B and whisked the library off to cable
  • edited 2018-04-12 23:33:18
    Anonus said:

Anonus said:

Which version(s)

Yeah, did Teletoon not play them much? H-B product - and classic animation in general - was big on OTA TV here for a long time, but then Ted bought H-B and whisked the library off to cable
    We never had cable as a kid. I mostly watched Scooby-Doo on (rented) DVD as I recall. It was, uh, whatever the local video store had but I think mostly the original series, the TV movies from the 80s, and the then-recent DTV ones. And I think we bought one DVD of What's New.

I watched Teletoon (and YTV) during downtime on vacations but I don't recall seeing HB stuff on there. Though it's hardly a representative sample.
  • And I saw the (first) live action movie in theatres when it came out, and hated it lol.
    Okay I thought I remembered you not having cable or something

Yeah the Scooby-Doo movies from the '80s are like the only Superstars 10 movies you hear much about

And I saw the (first) live action movie in theatres when it came out, and hated it lol.

I had a TV/VCR combo that ate the tape and broke as a result

It was how I learned Scrappy was hated, which baffled me
    confused me too, i never had a problem with him as a kid
  • Anonus said:

It was how I learned Scrappy was hated, which baffled me

Same lol. That was (part of) why I hated it at the time.
    Tachyon said:

confused me too, i never had a problem with him as a kid

I pulled up one of his episodes a few years ago, from the era when the show had basically ditched the mystery format

It had these aliens, and Scrappy, by this point voiced by Don Messick (and sounding like an aged Ruff or Pixie), kept calling them "horse thieves"

It so badly wanted to be a first-season Huck show cartoon but the timing was all wrong
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    People like A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Mystery Incorporated, and the early DTVs.

I don't know if any of those elicit strong emotions, though.
  • I never watched cartoons as a child
  • I've got a job! :D
    Congrats!

What's the job?
  • Hobbycraft, working twelve hours a week. I start on the 30th.
    Congratulations on the job, but how could you not watch cartoons as a child
    Yeah no that surprised me as well.

Did you not watch much TV?  Or were there other things you preferred to watch?
  • Thank you :D

And yeah, I just never watched TV as a child. I was either playing outside, reading a book, or playing on my PS1.
    kid!Toolsie was smart
  • kid!Toolsie learnt to tell the time when she was five, so she could get dinner early.
    At one point when I was very young I only counted time in quarter-hours. Like, I wouldn't recognize any time interval less than 15 minutes.

How odd
  • It took me an embarrassingly long time to learn how to read an analog clock.

People definitely tried to explain it to me and for some reason I just didn't get it until I was like, twelve.
  • I just knew that when the big hand was at twelve and the little hand was at five, I got food.

I would stand on a stool, take the kitchen clock off the wall, adjust it until it said five o’clock, hang it back on the wall, and then put the stool back. It worked for a while, until my parents caught on what I was doing.
    lolz
  • So my iTunes account has been hacked. 

Nothing's been bought with my money, and I've changed my password, but still. Ugh.
    :(