The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Okay, so until things get sorted out, I can't buy things on the iTunes store. Not a huge loss, just a minor annoyance. 
  • It said that a PC was trying to access my account in Milton Keynes, which is about 120 miles away.
  • So my phone only occasionally asks for my PIN when unlocking, and this has led to me thigh-dialing twice in one day. That is annoying. Does anyone know how to fix that?

It also occasionally switches to the symbol keyboard randomly when I'm typing, and that's thoroughly insufferable.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have a problem with one of my flash drives: every time I plug it in, Windows pops up a thing telling me the drive needs to be "scanned and repaired".

So I thought, oh, I can't be the only one who has that problem; maybe a little bit of Googling will reveal the answer.

I did find other people claiming to have the same problem of the "scan and repair" prompt appearing every time the drive is plugged in...but the "solutions" were extremely unhelpful.

Every single "solution" assumed that the person having the problem is extremely stupid and just yanks the USB drive at random. They literally offered to advice on how to fix this beyond "make you're you're clicking 'Safely remove drive' every time", which I was already doing.

I just feel kind of insulted right now. There's something distinctly annoying about your problems being assumed to be the result of your own incompetence.
  • edited 2018-04-16 23:53:06
    Is this pertaining to a certain cheapo brand of thumbdrives with a swing-around cover that tends to be given out as freebies?  I've had two of those drives fail on me, and what you're describing is a symptom that they exhibited before they failed outright.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There's no brand name on it, but it looks like this:

I got it at Roses, so I guess I can't expect a lot out of it, but...yeah.
  • edited 2018-04-17 00:47:16

There's no brand name on it, but it looks like this:

I got it at Roses, so I guess I can't expect a lot out of it, but...yeah.
    Yyyyyep.  That's exactly the brand.

Sadly I have no idea who made them.

Get your data off of it as soon as you can.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Roses? Jesus

I am tempted to offer to get you a better flash drive
    I have a couple better ones but they're full

If you'd like to send me one, I certainly won't say no
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have a cow flash drive and I will not part with it
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    too tired to move, so hungry it hurts

how have i survived this long
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    *pats the particle*
    thanks

i ate a sandwich
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    *Gives a Feather of You’re A Good Particle*
    thanks birb

i'm good now

and you?
    I’m a drowsy birb but doing awright.
    moo
    I can't tell if my meds are helping or hurting
  • kill living beings
    probably 'repair' means reformmating the thing, which is probably what you ahve to do
  • edited 2018-04-18 19:44:14
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    A blog post giving a rundown on which films featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000 pass the Bechdel Test:

521 - Santa Claus: Ambiguous. The conversations between Luptia and her mom center around Santa, briefly turning to Jesus, so wouldn't pass. The conversation between Lupita and the doll in her dream might count, since the doll had a female appearance. However, it could also be argued that the doll is a mouthpiece for Pitch and is therefore disqualified.

601 - Girls Town: Pass. Lots of girls, lots of topics.*

606 - The Creeping Terror: Fail. The only time we see two women talking to each other is at the dance hall, and the sound is out. It was likely rhubarbing anyway.

621 - The Beast of Yucca Flats: Fail. Not only was there never any instance of two women speaking to each other, there was barely any dialogue of any sort.

706 - Laserblast: Pass. At the birthday party, Cathy and Fat Girl talk about the crappiness of said party.

908 - The Touch of Satan: Ambiguous. While the conversation between Melissa and Lucinda appears to be male-free, it's not certain as the latter is impossible to understand. There's also the possibility of when Melissa pledges her soul to the Devil, as Satan had a female voice in that scene. But again, it's inconclusive.

1011 - Horrors of Spider Island: Pass. There are multiple non-male conversations between the members of the Shrill Harpy Dance Troupe.
    what about Space Mutiny
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm just saying, history is a whole lot more if you assume all the accounts are true.

I want to believe that Brian Boru died in a legendary dawn-to-dusk battle at the age of 88, during which his son killed 50 vikings with the sword in his left hand and 50 vikings with the sword in his right hand.

I want to believe that Edward the Confessor could cure diseases with his touch.

I want to believe that the Beale Ciphers really do hold the location of an extremely valuable treasure that nobody has found yet.
    Unfortunately, none of that is true.
  • edited 2018-04-19 06:27:19
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

what about Space Mutiny

820 - Space Mutiny: Fail. At no point do any two female characters converse with each other.

Most of the descriptions read like that, to be honest. The earlier excerpts were the one that stood out.
    well it's still a great movie!

uh, sort of.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Slab Bulkhead!

Roll Fizzlebeef!
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    It passes the Blast Hardcheese Test, and that's what really matters.
    I saw that movie, sans MST3K, on late night TV once just by accident.

I enjoyed it, because sometimes I enjoy garbage.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    103 - The Mad Monster: Pass, but also skin of the teeth. The Shirley Temple clone and her mother briefly negotiate on how late the former could stay up.
  • edited 2018-04-20 02:30:33

I enjoyed it, because sometimes I enjoy garbage.

[imtp] garbage is frequently rich in complex organic molecules
    plastic love is like an hour long and it's one of the greatest songs of all time
    I could say that about "Dopesmoker"
    HAPPY 4/20 EVERYBODY

• Spoiler:

(2015 self)
    Well, it was a nice nine days while they lasted...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

plastic love is like an hour long and it's one of the greatest songs of all time

?

Anonus said:

?

I mean I was confused when you exaggerated its length because that's not actually super long at all to me.
  • edited 2018-04-20 22:14:11
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It is long for a pop song, but I dunno, I spent most of last night reading about the music of Julius Eastman and have been getting back into Morton Feldman, so under ten minutes feels pretty concise?
    My yardstick for "long song" is "American Pie" by Don McLean, which clocks in at 8:33. Anything longer than that and you start to push the limits of my attention span.
    Like, Eastman's Crazy N—r is an hour long and seven minutes of it is basically building to one chord. And Feldman's late work can't fit on less than three CDs for the most part.
    For Philip Guston is probably Feldman's longest at about five hours.
    i am unused to songs that exceed five minutes in length

also, keep in mind, much of my listening is instrumental (from video games or made for television branding)
    To me, by pop standards, over five-and-a-half minutes is long, and longer than "American Pie" is an epic. With rock music or the like—"popular" music but not "pop" music—longer than "American Pie" is long, but it isn't until it passes the fifteen minute mark that it's an epic. And classical suites... well, it varies, but to me they bear more in common with albums, where short singular pieces are just songs. And I like long albums.
    Like, to me, something like Feldman's "Bass Clarinet and Percussion", despite being very simple and not "going anywhere" over twenty minutes, feels like a comfy length, because it's about feeling still and calm and contemplative. But if something's over twenty minutes and it's driving and intense, that's also great
    Are people too bored by my liveblog to comment on it, or do they assume "Let's Watch LoliRock with Central Avenue" must be a shitpost?
    Haven't read it yet.
    (2015 self)
    I assumed it had to be some sort of prank thread, in which you would make fun of the reader for clicking something with "loli" in it.
    Crystal said:

Haven't read it yet.

Oh, OK.
    Aliroz said:

I assumed it had to be some sort of prank thread, in which you would make fun of the reader for clicking something with "loli" in it.

See, that's what I was worried would happen.
    personally i think 8+ minutes is long, but since i often listen to whole albums through, i wouldn't say longer songs push my attention span

and i have a soft spot for prog, where compositions are often album length and even the regular songs typically go over 6 minutes