The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2017-06-16 05:17:16
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^ Fair, fair.

^

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    goddamn hippies
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I can't help but view Amazon's deal for Whole Foods - instead of a more mainstream grocer like Kroger or the Safeway-Albertsons two-headed monster - as a manifestation of contempt for The Poors
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    dear indie developers: stop putting mazes in your horror games

like, you do realize that mazes are easily solvable, right? you just have to follow the right-hand wall and you'll get to the exit

it only serves as padding, and not good padding because the solution is so simple
  • kill living beings
    i tried that in a labyrinth in zelda and as it turned out the maze had multiple completely distinct blocks, and there was no goal in the first block i tried. i still looked through it three or for times, not understanding my folly
  • My dreams exceed my real life

like, you do realize that mazes are easily solvable, right? you just have to follow the right-hand wall and you'll get to the exit

it only serves as padding, and not good padding because the solution is so simple
    Stupid Minotaur

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember being really annoyed with a certain Cardcaptor Sakura episode because they end up in a maze and Tomoyo mentions that you can solve mazes with the right-hand rule but then instead of doing that they proceed to fix it through MAGIC.
    Odradek said:

Stupid Minotaur

Gozu, gozu gozuuuuu
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I was not even aware of the right-hand rule until now
    FUCK YOU Lady of Pain

Your career is OVER
  • kill living beings
    I mean you can also defeat it with multiple floors and stuff. I forget when the right hand* thing works, i think just if the space is euclidean

I remember being really annoyed with a certain Cardcaptor Sakura episode because they end up in a maze and Tomoyo mentions that you can solve mazes with the right-hand rule but then instead of doing that they proceed to fix it through MAGIC.

*i'm actually used to "left hand", "right hand rule" is some nonsense with magnetic gauges

I mean you can also defeat it with multiple floors and stuff. I forget when the right hand* thing works, i think just if the space is euclidean

Yeah, it's true that you can easily develop a maze that isn't easily solvable with the right-hand thing.

But, uh...the kind of game developers I'm complaining about here...don't. They just throw in basic, easily-solvable mazes as filler and then wonder why people grumble about it.
    In the maze in LA Noire, I followed the right-hand-rule and just got lead back to the entrance.

The goal was to reach the center, you see
  • There need to be more games with Fable-style body morphing.
    there need to be more games with the Konami Code

there need to be more games with the Konami Code

In Metal Gear Solid 2, two dudes have a secret handshake that is a visual representation of the Konami Code
    that is awesome.
  • Hexartes said:

There need to be more games with Fable-style body morphing.

Really, Fable has a lot of stuff I wish was done in games..... that .... aren't.... you know.... Fable
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Hey, Hex-kex, is there any place I can watch the part of your Fable stream that I missed? Like, some Youtube Channel like Northernlion does?
  • kill living beings
    sanakan
  • Aliroz said:

Hey, Hex-kex, is there any place I can watch the part of your Fable stream that I missed? Like, some Youtube Channel like Northernlion does?

There's an archive of the stream on my page!
  • you should get a youtube channel so you can export the VODs. It takes like 15 minutes and you don't have to actually do anything.
  • I'll have to do that soon.
  • Hexartes said:

Hexartes said:

There need to be more games with Fable-style body morphing.

Really, Fable has a lot of stuff I wish was done in games..... that .... aren't.... you know.... Fable
    Idk I've just been craving an action RPG to veg out to lately but the only ones I can think of (Kingdoms of Amalur and Fable) rub me the wrong way in some major respect
  • edited 2017-06-17 06:00:42
    What was wrong with Kingdoms of Amalur?

Not that I played much of it but it seemed okay from the bit I did play, so I'm just kind of curious.

That said, have you played Dragon's Dogma? It's nooooooooooot a perfect game but it's got a lot of fun things that I wish other similarish games did.
  • edited 2017-06-17 06:16:09
    Weirdly enough, given that Kingdoms of Amalur is a fairly forgettable game from five years ago, I have also had it on my mind recently. I never got very far, but I liked what I played and I have been in the mood for That Sort of Game...

Not enough to pay money for the PC version, though, and my 360 copy (and my 360) are in another city. Oh well.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

didn't the maze shift around or something when she tried the right-hand rule?

(also that only works if the maze doesn't have a loop in it)
    Maybe. I could be misremembering the episode.
  • edited 2017-06-17 06:44:57
    Calica said:

(also that only works if the maze doesn't have a loop in it)

Is that true? It's 2:30 AM so there might be something I'm not thinking of, but I don't see how you could get stuck in a loop while following the right-hand wall, assuming there is a reachable exit at all. You'll leave the loop facing the opposite way of how you entered, and as a result go a different way.

It doesn't work if the goal is somewhere in the middle or if things get nonplanar, but for your standard "in one side, out the other" type maze I'm pretty sure it always works.
    Sakura and co started out in the middle of the maze so that analysis doesn't work for time reversed reason compared to the one you gave
  • Oh, well, fair enough.
  • DYRE said:

What was wrong with Kingdoms of Amalur?

Not that I played much of it but it seemed okay from the bit I did play, so I'm just kind of curious.

That said, have you played Dragon's Dogma? It's nooooooooooot a perfect game but it's got a lot of fun things that I wish other similarish games did.

Just forgettable brain dead high fantasy that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also made by Curt "garbage man made of garbage" Schilling's company.

Also I totally own DD and forgot about it.
    isn't curt schilling getting sued by the state of rhode island for that game
    Elizabeth Olsen: The dark horse Olsen
    Jane said:

THERE'S A THIRD OLSEN?

why did this make me laugh so hard
    Jimmy Olsen, Superman's pal
  • I got Combichrist in my Recommended Videos list

Why does this always happen to me
  • CAN'T STAY AWAKE 

BURNING ALIVE
  • kill living beings
    "Park under bridge at your own risk" what
    I feel like I'm supposed to be the one who comes in with an explanation of why that sign's there but...I got nothin'.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    My mind is melting from a lack of sleep and I really need to shut up and go to sleep.

Good day, folks.
  • kill living beings
    feel better or don't.
    Personally I slept four hours and my body decided "lol that's enough", so here I am.

I did at least go get my picture taken for my new job.

I feel like I'm supposed to be the one who comes in with an explanation of why that sign's there but...I got nothin'.

suicides landing on your car
  • kill living beings
    wasn't even high enough for that. i guess people could piss on your car, except it was a train bridge in active use
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.