The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Especially when the wires are color-coded to prevent that from happening. (Ground is always bare wire in the US and Canada; how could they miss that?)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Prevailing theory in the thread seems to be that the hot was wired to the ground, yeah.

Of course, how a qualified electrician manages that in the first place is a whole 'nother question.

Why would you assume this person is a qualified electrician? :P
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The wires aren't hanging out, which if r/osha has taught me anything, is far further than an amateur ever goes. :P

sure

why not
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    can't hurt
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I get it!
    Wittenoom and its history are horrifying
  • apparently--and this is not, to my knowledge, a joke--literally every person in that picture, aside from one, later died of asbestos-related complications.
    Western Australia's government deleted Wittenoom from road signs in a deperate attempt to keep people from going there, since it's still contaminated with asbestos to this day

Jane said:

apparently--and this is not, to my knowledge, a joke--literally every person in that picture, aside from one, later died of asbestos-related complications.

That is not at all surprising, given what I've heard about the place.
    Also relevant:

• Western Australia's government deleted Wittenoom from road signs in a deperate attempt to keep people from going there, since it's still contaminated with asbestos to this day

I've not prior heard of the place but why in fuck would you want to go to an asbestos mine
  • ....wait, asbestos is mined?

I thought it was an artificial substance.
  • kill living beings
    well

nope
  • asbestos is pretty fucked up 

fucking like

cancer rocks
    The one thing about the Wittenoom tragedy that fills me with pure, unbridled rage:

The mine was shut down in 1966 not because of the obvious safety issues...but because it was unprofitable for the corporation that owned it.
  • everything I have ever heard about Australia makes me think of it as like, America but somehow much worse
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Jane said:

asbestos is pretty fucked up 

fucking like

cancer rocks
    I've always thought so
    Jane said:

everything I have ever heard about Australia makes me think of it as like, America but somehow much worse

Australia has a lot of ignominy in its history

They didn't stop overtly treating the indigenous peoples like shit until 1970
  • also this sub is a combination of lighthearted mild stupidity and "hey did you know that death lurks around every corner in the modern world?"
  • kill living beings
    asbestos is weird because it's a mechanical problem. you breathe in microfibers too small to see and that fucks up your lungs in an unclear way that sometimes causes cancer (but also, like, other lung problems)
  • I lived in a house with lead paint (which by the time we moved out was flaking off pretty badly) for a few years. Thankfully I have never to my knowledge come anywhere near asbestos.
    Against my better judgment, I looked at the article that mentioned all but one of the people in that photo dying of asbestos exposure

And--I'm not going to link it here--but said article also contained photos of small children playing in the mine tailings

I'm sick to my stomach
    asbestos always seemed like something that would make your throat hurt and give you a scratchy voice
    also let's not forget tobacco aka cancer leaves
    is that in Pennsylvania? I bet that's in Pennsylvania
    There's asbestos in one of the buildings where I work, and for a few years it wasn't even marked. Thankfully I don't work around the attic area, where it's actually located.
  • I have bought rainbow plasters.

Just Because.
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-04-29 18:17:49

If You Or A Loved One Have Been Diagnosed With Mesothelioma, You May Be Entitled To Financial Compensation
    there's never a fee unless we get money for you
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    The walls of the dorms I lived in at UNC had asbestos in them but because of the paint it was probably okay
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Western Australia's government deleted Wittenoom from road signs in a deperate attempt to keep people from going there, since it's still contaminated with asbestos to this day

Three people still live there. Apparently most of the contamination seems to be gone, but still, it's not exactly somewhere you want to hang out for extended periods of time. It seems they're there mainly because the fact that there are no people there means the wildlife and plants have really flourished in their place.

I hate everything about this.
    not a big fan of braille?
  • edited 2017-04-29 19:28:39
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Our town doesn't actually have button based ATMs anymore, they're all touchscreen.

They don't explode if you try and take out more than 230 quid, either.

there is no emoticon for the face i just made
    Never forget that time that emus won a war against the Australian army.
    MOVE, BITCH

GET OUT THE WAY

GET OUT THE WAY, BITCH

GET OUT THE WAY
    They played the radio edit of that at my 7th grade dance, but none of us were having it.

We all sang along and made sure to add in the "bitch" ourselves. Every single time.
    7th graders
    I was much too cool for 7th grade, personally
    I gotta say, looking back, a cafeteria full of mostly-white preteens screaming "MOVE BITCH, GET OUT THE WAY BITCH!" as loudly as we could is fucking hilarious.

Also after that a couple of us ran some glow sticks through the pencil sharpener because we were all little brats.
    Good response.
  • Did AU step down as an admin?