The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:
    This is a silly half-joking overreaction, but not as much of one as throwing out the entire concept of film criticism because Seth Rogen Dick Comedy #35832958 got some positive reviews.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It seems like this person's entire aesthetic is good photos and bad opinions.

Strangely enough, I read an interesting thing about that film talking about how they tried to keep the comedy from being mean-spirited, to the point of drastically rewriting the film on several occasions, which at least endeared me to the people behind it even if it is Very Likely Not My Thing At All.
    Seth Rogen and James Franco don't seem like bad people, they just seem really bro-y in a relatively benign way
    Yeah. But I kind of appreciate that they are benign in that way, given the more toxic side of that attitude that prevails in certain people and groups. My sense of humour may, generally, not be extravagantly crude, but I appreciate wanting to make people feel included in it rather than excluded. So more power to them.

I'm just hoping it ultimately opens the door for big-budget adult animation that's more up my own alley.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I'm just hoping it ultimately opens the door for big-budget adult animation that's more up my own alley.

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I still honestly feel bad that Rogen and Franco glommed onto The Disaster Artist.

That could've been a good film...
    Meanwhile I get my idols today, happy bird, happy bird.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Know what's great? Barbecues. Barbecues are great.
  • Especially British barbecues where it always rains the second you fire up the barbecue.
    *extremely Tumblr Marxist voice* Trump supporters are being mislead and manipulated and need to be informed, not talked down to. Liberals however, are just Pure Evil
  • edited 2016-08-13 18:15:08
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:

*extremely Tumblr Marxist voice* Trump supporters are being mislead and manipulated and need to be informed, not talked down to. Liberals however, are just Pure Evil

I realize this is because the stereotypical Trump supporter is a working-class person who is at all times assumed to be a dumb, yet noble animal who can't think for themselves a la Boxer the Horse, while the stereotypical Clinton supporter is a white cis jew New York intellectual who knows the ultimate correctness of Maoist-Leninist-Stalinist-Luxemburgist-Marxism but chooses to act otherwise out of pure hatred for the working class.
    Personally I just hate anyone that doesn't choose to worship me, or at least give me offerings of birdseed.
    Odradek said:

im not sure wwhat your point is are you denying that theres an aesthetic thats common in wwindowws 10 wwhen you bring up criticisms is it not in reference to things you dislike
    this is my starting point: wwindowws 10 has an aesthetic yes #notallwwindowws 10 but by and large there is a collection of vvisual dialogue plot and characterization tropes that are common to the medium i dont dig those vvisual dialogue plot or characterization tropes i dont think it looks cool or sounds cool i dont respond to the dialogue ticks theyre annoying to me or if youd like theyre silly in a wway i dislike
    wwhen i end up liking wwindowws 10 its wwhen it avvoids those things wwhich does happen but im not sure if youre saying the aesthetic isnt there (wwhich i disagree wwith) or youre saying you shouldnt dislike an aesthetic (wwhich i also disagree wwith) yes i can scour the wworld of wwindowws 10 for exceptions but wwhy wwould i i knoww they exist they land on my door step sometimes but life is too short to swwim upstream for media theres media evverywwhere
    this is vvery condescending
    wwhen i read this i think yeah but i didnt like it im not pretending to not like it for effect im not arguing that japanese people making japanese games shouldnt be able to partake in an aesthetic that comes from a japanese art form but i dont like it im not sure wwhats complicating that for you
    so in the vversion you present wwhere there is a 2 second camera angle that inspires a rant i saww that angle thought it wwas an aesthetic choice that i really really didnt like enough to go on a rant this is not to mention the fact that i dont remember going off on camera angles and wwhats much more likely is for me to say ugh this wwas wway too wwindowws 10 for me rather than a rant but evven in your vversion the reason i wwent on that rant wwas because i didnt like that camera angle i thought it wwas bad so wwhats confusing
    is it the wword is your point that only a true scholar of wwindowws 10 can sort things into the [is wwindowws 10] and [not wwindowws 10] sets its shorthand dawwg i mean you can come back wwith a bunch of episode numbers and timestamps of examples ivve described something as wwindowws 10 that you dont consider wwindowws 10 but i guarantee you that those indivvidual aesthetic elements are things that *i* associate wwith the medium and because i *dont* wwant to grind the episode to a halt to rant i use that wword dismissivvely because it refers to that aesthetic
    at the end of the day reacting to games is my job life isnt too short to do my job and ivve done my job wwell if im honest and rigorous im not pretending to not like wwindowws 10 (im honest) and ivve nevver failed to bring up and examine a good (or bad) mechanic because of aesthetics (rigorous) but aesthetics count and im not going to omit commentary on them or negativve commentary on them because theyre common to a medium people like

Why the Eridan quirk?
    i am now full of barbecued meats

Why the Eridan quirk?

I don't remember
  • I am full of fruit juice
  • Well, fruit juice and lemonade.

And soon to be full of cereal.
  • edited 2016-08-13 21:57:31
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    "Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow-citizens), the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government. But that jealousy, to be useful, must be impartial; else it becomes the instrument of the very influence to be avoided, instead of a defense against it. Excessive partiality for one nation, and excessive dislike of another, cause those whom they actuate to see danger only on one side, and serve to veil and even second the arts of influence on the other. Real patriots who may resist the intrigues of the favorite are liable to become suspected and odious; while its tools and dupes usurp the applesauce and cantaloupes of the people, aw dang it I shouldn't give speeches while I'm hungry. Bye, guys."
    -George Washington, farewell address.
    I cry every time
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    melons
    Mulan's melons?
    Feminist Masterpiece Pacific Rim
    Feminist Masterpiece Grey Gardens.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Feminist Masterpiece "Gun Shy Gal"
    Meninist Masterpiece She's Out of Control.

Stalinist Masterpiece Atlas Shrugged.
    Lennonist Masterpiece Don't Stop Me Now
    there are no masterpieces
  • kill living beings
    next time i cook it shoudl be chicken fricasee

martha stewart says it's comfort and one pot, and then lists like twenty ingredients. i shall persevere
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Chili does that too and that's pretty easy, if that's any comfort
  • I have the house to myself until Tuesday.

What do?
    ^^^ As Boney implies, that sort of thing generally implies that you just keep adding things and simmering forever without much actual work besides stirring and, later, tasting.
    (For the record, a form of fricassée is my speciality as a cooking person, although my process is a bit more elaborate.)
    http://john-steppling.com/2016/08/the-morbid-voice/

John Steppling is somehow worse when he's mildly capable of sticking to a central point
  • The brother has come round and brought an Amazon TV stick with Netflix.
  • This just makes my binge watching sessions even easier.
  • It's a stick

That you plug into the TV

And let's you watch Amazon Prime stuff

And Netflix

And BBC iPlayer
    The white bourgeois fear of Trump, which is reflexive and largely insincere, is exactly this glassy background ideology. Their grammar is the linguistic equivalent of a Conde Nast magazine. And it betrays its morbidity through the undisguised pleasure it is taking in this opposition (which was Jutel’s point in a sense). But more, it is the patently artificial nature of the Trump campaign that seems to be part of the enjoyment. When Trump kicks a mother and her crying child out of the hall in which he is giving a speech, it is a dumb show villain, a burlesque bad guy. On the Democratic side the morbidity is less music hall and a more deeply engrained pathology and love of war. This is Kristeva territory again. For it is the appearance of death (corpses, mutilated bodies, etc) that allow for that slight easing of psychic tension that serves to remind the viewer of their own road to termination. The lack of health in Hillary Clinton and most of the speakers at the Democratic convention, coupled to the jingoism and the constant reminders of death in the speeches was eerie to watch. Hillary Clinton herself appears ashen and almost frail, given to involuntary jerks and spasms. This was a tour of the underworld.

Methinks Johnboy is projecting a bit here, and probably just needs to take his metamucil
    road to termination
  • edited 2016-08-14 17:11:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I couldn't do more than skim the first three or four paragraphs of that bizarre Steppling piece before I became lost in a sea of "...what?!"
    Trump is a dumbshow villain, though
    World Trigger.

World Revolution?
  • I'm at the moa