The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• you know I was pretty good at physics but I don't think I ever really understood what a volt was
  • A volt is what happens the first time the peasantry attempts to overthrow you.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

you know I was pretty good at physics but I don't think I ever really understood what a volt was

• edited 2016-07-04 02:54:02
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I used to think that there was only five periodic tilings of two shapes and one intersection, but it turns out I was neglecting the Octagon and Dodecagon.

I used to try to make patterns with all the blocks, repeating as much as possible, in kindergarten.  Like, put all the hexagons together, a beehive.  Run out of hexagons, make more out of other shapes Two triangles is a rhombus.  Three triangles is a trapezoid.  Six triangles is a hexagon.  

I didn't like kites and squares, because they didn't "fit", they couldn't be made out of other blocks.  I've since warmed to kites and, to a lesser extent, squares.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    a mathematician from an early age
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:44:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i did pretty good in GCSE science but now i'm feeling kind of stupid

i definitely am going to want to brush up on stuff

not tonight though, it's late
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:49:20
    (2015 self)
    I also used to feel really anxious if anything I made wasn't symmetrical, or had open spaces that couldn't be filled with a shape.

In third grade, my parents bought me a set of these blocks so I could play with them at home.

The top bit of image one, with the white kites, makes a dodecagon, so I could, in fact, make seven of the eight periodic tilings of two shapes and one intersection, but octagons, as far as I can tell, cannot be made from my shapes.

The wooden blocks have a yellow rhombus, a white kite, a red hexagon, a purple trapezoid, a blue square, and green triangles.  The plastic blocks have a blue rhombus, a grey kite, a yellow hexagon, a red trapezoid, an orange square, and green triangles.  
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I am reading The Annotated Alice, because you can never have enough Alice
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    during a roleplay?
  • FossilmaidenFossilmaiden
    scribbles over CA's face with permanent marker.
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    /me scribbles over CA's face with permanent marker.
  • kill living beings
    volts are joules per coulomb. the energy it takes to get between two points (or between one point and some designated zero/"ground" point) per unit charge.
    Anonus said:

during a roleplay?

on and off, yeah
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:50:54
    (2015 self)

That book's at my local library.  Good old Martin Gardner.

I still don't get the humpty-dumpty dark joke, though.

volts are joules per coulomb. the energy it takes to get between two points (or between one point and some designated zero/"ground" point) per unit charge.

oh, right

thank you
    Aliroz said:

the implication is that Alice could stop getting older, if someone murdered her

(it almost sounds like a threat, which is perhaps why she changes the subject so quickly)
    i have a copy of The Annotated Alice and have dipped into it but i should like to read it in full sometime

the problem i have with large books is i can't take them into work to read during break
  • kill living beings
    and the gradient of the scalar voltage field is the electric field, just to be confusing

something i think is interesting is that the analogous potential for gravitational force has units of joules/kilogram for the same reason, but that reduces to meter²/second² because inertia is identical to mass for reasons i do not remember.
    Aliroz said:

I got my hands on the 150th Anniversary Deluxe Edition ^_^

and the gradient of the scalar voltage field is the electric field, just to be confusing

something i think is interesting is that the analogous potential for gravitational force has units of joules/kilogram for the same reason, but that reduces to meter²/second² because inertia is identical to mass for reasons i do not remember.

i . . . have no idea what any of this means, and i'm not sure if that's because i'm sleepy or if there are concepts being referenced that i never learned.
    Unless you took a college-level introductory physics course, I wouldn't expect you to understand that

I barely do myself
    Tachyon said:

i have a copy of The Annotated Alice and have dipped into it but i should like to read it in full sometime

the problem i have with large books is i can't take them into work to read during break

Does your work have a size limit on books?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Pentagons are an inferior shape.

They don't tesselate, and perfect pentagons are super hard to draw.  And just forget about Heptagons, Nonagons, decagons, and anything higher.

Li'l Rozzy liked to doodle the star of David without knowing what it was.  Li'l Rozzy also liked to draw crosses and swastikas and all sorts of basic geometric shapes.  I never was much of an artist, though, lack of amazing fine-motor skills and a need for perfection do not mix.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

i . . . have no idea what any of this means, and i'm not sure if that's because i'm sleepy or if there are concepts being referenced that i never learned.
    inertia is the resistance something has to force. F = ma, meaning a = F/m. the more massy you are, the less accelerated you are by any given force.

there's also gravitational mass. the more gravitational mass you have, the more gravitational force you feel.

gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same and i don't remember why it is that way. you can imagine a world where they're disconnected like electrical forces are - you can be more charged, which subjects you to stronger electrical forces, without having more inertia/resistance to force, see.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Frigging circles, impossible to draw and impossible to divide into straight-lined shapes without leaving space left over.

Man, the reason Archimedes was all like, "Don't touch mah circles" was that he had finally managed to draw good circles.

Unless you took a college-level introductory physics course, I wouldn't expect you to understand that

I barely do myself

i did not, though i keep meaning to teach myself to that level

Tachyon said:

Does your work have a size limit on books?

no it's just more awkward and i'd need a bigger bag

Tachyon said:

inertia is the resistance something has to force. F = ma, meaning a = F/m. the more massy you are, the less accelerated you are by any given force.

there's also gravitational mass. the more gravitational mass you have, the more gravitational force you feel.

gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same and i don't remember why it is that way. you can imagine a world where they're disconnected like electrical forces are - you can be more charged, which subjects you to stronger electrical forces, without having more inertia/resistance to force, see.
    actually the parts that were stumping me were 'gradient of the scalar voltage field' and 'analogous potential'

but thank you, that was nice and clear
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

actually the parts that were stumping me were 'gradient of the scalar voltage field' and 'analogous potential'

but thank you, that was nice and clear
    oh that was intended as gibberish. i mean, it's true, but doesn't make any sense if you don't already know what it means. i could explain it, but, ech, math, right?
    if you don't want to it's fine, i should read up on this myself anyway, i'm just being lazy

plus like i said i'm not sure how much i'd actually understand at this hour in any case
    (")>
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

(")>

Oh dear. Kirby appears to have lost an arm.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

if you don't want to it's fine, i should read up on this myself anyway, i'm just being lazy

plus like i said i'm not sure how much i'd actually understand at this hour in any case

i dunno how much calculus you know. the class i took in this required vector calculus and most people still didn't get it.
  • what the hell is vector calculus

I am literally only familiar with the word "vector" from Transformers.
    Jane said:

what the hell is vector calculus

I am literally only familiar with the word "vector" from Transformers.
    A vector is a quantity that has both a magnitude and a direction, as opposed to a scalar.

"3 miles" is a scalar. "3 miles northwest" is a vector.
    yeah no i wouldn't get it, in that case

i did try to teach myself calculus but didn't get very far with it and it's been a while since i opened a book on the subject
  • then what the hell does Vector Prime's name mean

I'm starting to think that the folks behind the Transformers franchise don't have degrees in advanced mathematics at all!
  • edited 2016-07-04 03:40:38
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Jane said:

so a vector is....a direction?

it's a thing that has size and direction
    Vector Prime is secretly a crocodile in a robot suit.
  • Tachyon said:

Jane said:

so a vector is....a direction?

it's a thing that has size and direction
    like a car for instance
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    When I think of vectors, I think of vector graphics and of Vector the Crocodile
    the word does have other meanings outside mathematics, i don't know where the Transformers writers got the name but it might not have been that
    wait, is Vector Prime some kind of transporter?

like a truck or anything like that?

it could actually be a clever etymological thing
    Bringing back Team Chaotix was such a weird design decision. "Let's bring back 3 characters from a mediocre game that nobody actually played in the first place!"
    they needed another team to round things out, probably

i like Team Chaotix, their designs and personalities are fun i think
    so Vector Prime is a space cruiser, apparently
    see the mathematical term 'vector' comes from a Latin word meaning 'carrier' or 'transporter', so that might well be where the writers got the name
    mystery solved

maybe