• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tachyon said:

apparently what is?

(((this)))

am I just not going on Twitter enough

(also, the dril tweet in question)
  • edited 2016-07-03 22:15:42
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    On the note of Dan Hodges, he called Jeremy Corbyn a vampire and I'm choosing to think he literally believes that Corbyn is a bloodsucking undead denizen of the night because it's funnier that way.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    image i mean it, i fucking mean it, just fucking end it all right now
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So, what I'm getting from this:

dril makes a tweet making fun of the neo-nazi parentheses thing

someone takes it at face value and calls him out on it, so he decides to screw with them by staying in character and doubling down on the nonsense

person also takes this reply at face value, because taking dril at face value is always a great idea??
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ah, yes, the Mexican Air Force, with its... 101 combat aircraft?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i guess people who aren't familiar with dril wouldn't know not to take him seriously

still kinda boggling at how tone deaf people are being but without that context, maybe it looks worse
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am reminded of the Stephen Colbert thing from a while back
    this seems more awkward to me, cuz dril is not nearly as famous (so there's no reason to know he's not serious), but also cuz (correct me if i'm wrong) i think part of his gimmick is that he's very difficult to get a read on, very weird and unpersonable, which breaking character would damage?
    MPs involved in the attempted coup against Corbyn, in which there was an overwhelming vote of no confidence in his leadership, have suggested that the only solution must see Corbyn step down as leader.

“If not, and if he wins again, then this no confidence show will simply happen again and again,” said one MP.
    Oh, I see, the PLP are actually literal children standing on each others shoulders and wearing trenchcoats.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

i guess people who aren't familiar with dril wouldn't know not to take him seriously

still kinda boggling at how tone deaf people are being but without that context, maybe it looks worse

people do this with dril even with patently ridiculous tweets
    they know that if they have a ballot there's a high chance he'd just get voted in again and then his support would be even stronger
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

MPs involved in the attempted coup against Corbyn, in which there was an overwhelming vote of no confidence in his leadership, have suggested that the only solution must see Corbyn step down as leader.

“If not, and if he wins again, then this no confidence show will simply happen again and again,” said one MP.
    Oh, I see, the PLP are actually literal children standing on each others shoulders and wearing trenchcoats.
    Yup.
    relatedly it's really bugging me how people keep talking like Corbyn's already left, or like it's just a matter of time until he steps down

attempting a self-fulfilling prophecy, i assume

the Guardian's opinion pieces are pretty bad about this
  • edited 2016-07-03 22:51:00
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

Odradek said:

'obscure'

Yarrun in your esteemed opinion as someone who once had a Squirrel Girl avatar: Is Anna Kendrick a good choice for the appearance that will never happen?

MV5BMjIzOTA0OTQyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE1OTIwMw@@._V1_UY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    Ehhhh

I wouldn't call myself an expert on Squirrel Girl, but from what I've seen of her, she's more of a stocky, circle/heart-shaped face, plays-roller-derby-for-fun sort of cute.

Kendrick is too...petite? I can see her playing, like, a wood elf in the inevitable Elder Scrolls movie, but not really a superhero.
    ok but like, aesthetically, alison pill
    imageimage
    she also played zelda fitzgerald in midnight in paris which i haven't actually seen, but WHATEVER. anna kendrick is a little too cool to be squirrel girl. she leans more into being snarky, where squirrel girl is more goofy. but y'know, she's an actress. she could maybe pull it off. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I do not care about Squirrel Girl but find this conversation fun and interesting. To be fair, a brief look shows that she's certainly one of the more tolerable superheroes.
    Does anyone know what the original meaning of "the scales fell from his eyes" was? Google gets me the source(the conversion of St. Paul) but not the answer to "but why scales"
  • Epitome said:

Odradek said:

'obscure'

Yarrun in your esteemed opinion as someone who once had a Squirrel Girl avatar: Is Anna Kendrick a good choice for the appearance that will never happen?

MV5BMjIzOTA0OTQyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE1OTIwMw@@._V1_UY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    Ehhhh

I wouldn't call myself an expert on Squirrel Girl, but from what I've seen of her, she's more of a stocky, circle/heart-shaped face, plays-roller-derby-for-fun sort of cute.

Kendrick is too...petite? I can see her playing, like, a wood elf in the inevitable Elder Scrolls movie, but not really a superhero.
    ok but like, aesthetically, alison pill
    imageimage
    she also played zelda fitzgerald in midnight in paris which i haven't actually seen, but WHATEVER. anna kendrick is a little too cool to be squirrel girl. she leans more into being snarky, where squirrel girl is more goofy. but y'know, she's an actress. she could maybe pull it off. 
    It does, indeed, feel pretty weird saying that Kim Pine from Scott Pilgrim would be the perfect Squirrel Girl, and yet, here we are.

Crystal said:

I do not care about Squirrel Girl but find this conversation fun and interesting. To be fair, a brief look shows that she's certainly one of the more tolerable superheroes.

I'm always torn on Squirrel Girl. On the one hand, she evokes the sort of zany Silver Age shenanigans that isn't seen enough in comics these days (not that serious stuff doesn't have its own appeal). On the other hand, her ability to defeat literally anyone off-panel, bar none, has always struck me as botheringly incongruous with the rest of the Marvel Universe
  • The last time I checked, Gwenpool* was doing the wacky outsider schtick in a more compelling way

*AU Gwen Stacey who got sucked into the main Marvel Universe and became a superheroine to benefit from comic book immunity
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

relatedly it's really bugging me how people keep talking like Corbyn's already left, or like it's just a matter of time until he steps down

attempting a self-fulfilling prophecy, i assume

the Guardian's opinion pieces are pretty bad about this

The Grauniad gives TERFs space to TERF all over their op-ed pages. They're the least awful big English newspaper but they really are annoying sometimes.
    fdd54444dc08a2039a4ae7f568a6a19f.jpg
    Silver Age zaniness is distinctly appealing to me, it's true. I guess I'll look into Gwenpool.
  • edited 2016-07-04 00:09:20
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i kinda like the i

'kinda' because they do have an obvious left-liberal bias and sometimes present things in a way that strikes me as misleading in order to pander to it, and because their fact-checking is sometimes kind of shoddy

but their coverage of the Brexit debate was very good, for instance
    Would Squirrel Girl's hypothetical sidekick be called Girl Squirrel?

Would Squirrel Girl's hypothetical sidekick be called Girl Squirrel?

well actually
    she is a girl squirrel... 
    well, i mean i honestly prefer the i to the Guardian at this point
    Adorable.
  • Allison Pill could absolutely be Squirrel Girl in terms of acting, too. She was a nerdy sidekick to the lead in the Lindsay Lohan vehicle Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and even though the movie wasn't reviewed
    well, she was a highlight for having a comparatively superior emotional range to Lohan and Megan Fox (who also was in the film as an Alpha Bitch).

Side note: as much as I love Scott Pilgrim in film form I am still a little disappointed that they never got the chance to flesh out some of the side characters the way the comics did, and I think Kim got the worst of it; she's far more than just "the antisocial drummer" that the movie portrays her as.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Odradek said:

Does anyone know what the original meaning of "the scales fell from his eyes" was? Google gets me the source(the conversion of St. Paul) but not the answer to "but why scales"

Um, in the story of St. Paul's conversion, it was literally "something like scales" that fell off his eyes, allowing him to see.
    Tre said:

Allison Pill could absolutely be Squirrel Girl in terms of acting, too. She was a nerdy sidekick to the lead in the Lindsay Lohan vehicle Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and even though the movie wasn't reviewed
    well, she was a highlight for having a comparatively superior emotional range to Lohan and Megan Fox (who also was in the film as an Alpha Bitch).

Side note: as much as I love Scott Pilgrim in film form I am still a little disappointed that they never got the chance to flesh out some of the side characters the way the comics did, and I think Kim got the worst of it; she's far more than just "the antisocial drummer" that the movie portrays her as.

god, all i remember from that movie is THAT GIRL WAS A ONE TIME TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEEEEN. i had a compilation cd of songs from a bunch of disney channel movies. my parents must've hated me

and yeah, totally agree with that second part. also, movie ramona is less sympathetic. i was just kinda like 'why are you mad at him for being tired of fighting your exes???? what have you done to make this worth it' but that could also come from the fact that they made scott less of a jackass than he was in the comic. but again, time.
    but it was also great 
  • Remember when the internet pointed out that there wasn't a single black writer on Marvel's staff at the time? That was fun
    iiiiii do not, actually :V that's pretty shitty
    Hell Fuck Castle is actually a charming place, and the demons there mean no harm, you scoundrels.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Apparently power outlets in the UK usually have on/off switches

Countries that aren't where I'm from are weird
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

I'm having fun with the blocks.
    James and the Average-Sized Peach

Decent Mr. Fox

George's Generally Unremarkable Medicine
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:27:41
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Dang it, page-ended!

re-quoting for posterity, re-quoting for austerity, re-quoting for prosperity,
    Aliroz said:

Pretty.

Apparently power outlets in the UK usually have on/off switches

Countries that aren't where I'm from are weird
    ok now this is weirding me out cuz i'm just now realizing that power outlets in movies *don't* have those switches and i never noticed cuz i just took for granted they were there

like i can picture them and everything, there's no switch on them, idk how i didn't think that was weird before now
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i want to eat those patterns
  • yeah American power outlets are just always on, which is super, super weird if you think about it for more than ten seconds.
    No switches on American outlets! They're just constantly live at 120V ^_^

...of course, 120V is another Weird American Thing, so.
    i have no idea how electricity works and can't even remember what a volt is
    A volt is what happens the first time the peasantry attempts to overthrow you.
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:37:58
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Image number two is a periodic tiling with three shapes (hexagon, trapezoid, rhombus) and three possible intersections
     (hexagon-trapezoid-trapezoid/120-180-60,)
    (Hexagon-trapezoid-rhombus/120-120-120)
    (Hexagon-trapezoid-trapezoid-rhombus/120-120-60-60)

The center motif of Images number three and four is a periodic tiling with three shapes (rhombus, square, kite) and two possible intersections.
    (square-rhombus-kite/90-120-150)
    (square-rhombus-kite-square-rhombus-kite/90-60-30-90-60-30).

There are only 8 periodic tilings with two shapes and one intersection.  Five of these eight can be made with these blocks.
    Aliroz said:

Dang it, page-ended!

re-quoting for posterity, re-quoting for austerity, re-quoting for prosperity,
    Aliroz said:

Mesmerizing

A volt is what happens the first time the peasantry attempts to overthrow you.

The Electric ReVolt lead by Watt Tyler