The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Britain's parents shipped him off to military school. Belgium and the Netherlands grew up to build skyscrapers. Germany went to college and became a pediatrician. France played triple A ball and never got to the majors. The USSR got really into the sixties and no one ever saw him again. America grew up and married Wendy Peffercorn; they bought the Five & Dime and they still own it to this day. Switzerland lived to be 199 years old... in human years.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Agreed.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Indeed.
  • kill living beings
    This past year, [the California Lichen Society] convinced the California State Legislature to designate Lace Lichen (Ramalina menziesii) as the official State Lichen. It was approved by a 37-2 vote and its ratification made California the only state in the country with a State Lichen.
  • George Liquor, AMERICAN
  • kill living beings
    i like the idea that the joker is fine with working with someone dressed exactly like pol pot or something

"probably just a coincidence"
    This is just proof the Joker is not an antinatalist and they should stop citing him.
  • The ghost of your future aspirations
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • So I waited nearly 24 hours and spent £34.99 on downloading and installing GTA V for my PS4, and got a R* account so I could play GTA Online, only for me to need a paid membership to access it.

FUCK.
  • I can go on GTA Online on my PS3, and it is awesome to play the full game in HD, but still.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this is why you only play...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    paid membership to what, I wonder 

hopefully it's not like the Xbox 360, where you can't do much of anything unless you cough up $60/year for Live Gold
  • Although to be honest, I hardly ever go online now. So maybe it's for the best that I stick to going online on my PS3, and play the main game on my PS4.

this is why you only play...

I got to say this in real life today btw

yntkt
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Extremely Autistic Observation:

The United Airlines boarding passes you get at the counter have the United logo in blue as part of the stationery, while the ones you get at the self check-in kiosks have the United logo thermal-printed in black along with the rest of the information.
    We're apparently supposed to be outraged that clicking the red "X" on the Windows 10 upgrade notification doesn't cancel the upgrade

But, like, do people not actually read the text of the message?

If you get a window that says "An upgrade has been scheduled" and you somehow think merely closing the window will suddenly un-schedule the update, I have no sympathy when your computer then goes through the update anyways

Use some common sense, goddammit
  • We're apparently supposed to be outraged that clicking the red "X" on the Windows 10 upgrade notification doesn't cancel the upgrade

If you get a window that says "An upgrade has been scheduled" and you somehow think merely closing the window will suddenly un-schedule the update, I have no sympathy when your computer then goes through the update anyways

your irrational hatred of people who dislike the weird tactics Microsoft is trying to use to get people to upgrade to Windows 10 is so bizarre, and honestly pretty out of character for you.
    How is this irrational hatred?

The message says "An upgrade has been scheduled." 

This is not a question. It is a statement. It is notifying you of something that's already happened.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that someone would think that closing the window containing said statement would suddenly make the thing it's talking about go away.
    you dislike CA's dislike of people who dislike Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade tactics

got it
  • Because you seem to get really pissed about it whenever it's brought up, which makes no sense, because you already have Windows 10 so the issue doesn't even apply to you in the first place.
  • you dislike CA's dislike of people who dislike Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade tactics

got it

I mean we can just layer this forever.
  • obligatory "fuck windows 10"
  • i was going to say i should probably lay off on the stupid for long enough for me to shoo myself to bed but then white-knighting of win10 came up and so
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

We're apparently supposed to be outraged that clicking the red "X" on the Windows 10 upgrade notification doesn't cancel the upgrade

You don't see a problem with violating standardised design principles by doing the exact opposite of what people are used to? Especially when it used to actually work that way?
  • on an unrelated note, i was on a boat earlier today, and ever since then i've vaguely perceived my world around me as undulating the way a boat on water would

and this is a fun feeling
  • i was going to say i should probably lay off on the stupid for long enough for me to shoo myself to bed but then white-knighting of win10 came up and so

if you have to go to bed you should go to bed
    I still haven't gotten any "you're upgrading to Windows 10, deal with it" messages

I guess they forgot me.

You don't see a problem with violating standardised design principles by doing the exact opposite of what people are used to? Especially when it used to actually work that way?
    See, the thing is I'm not sure how this is violating user's expectations. Why would anyone expect closing the window to do anything other than just dismiss the message?

I could understand if we were talking about a "Cancel" button or something but we're literally just talking about people dismissing the "you will be upgraded soon" message and wondering why that alone didn't cancel the upgrade...and I'm not sure why you would expect that in the first place.
  • We're apparently supposed to be outraged that clicking the red "X" on the Windows 10 upgrade notification doesn't cancel the upgrade

See, the thing is I'm not sure how this is violating user's expectations. Why would anyone expect closing the window to do anything other than just dismiss the message?
    Because that is how it worked in Windows for the longest time.
    Because that's what it did. For the past 6 months.
  • edited 2016-05-26 01:52:33
    I'm kinda inclined to agree with Centie's reasoning but I want to vote on the side of saying that this is unreasonable, just because I don't like Win10 or autoupdates.

*throws Firefox 12 at Centie just to piss her off*
    And X to cancel is not exactly a rare and mysterious trait for message boxes.
    I don't know...am I being asked not to rage at people who insist on running older versions of software?
  • I don't know...am I being asked not to rage at people who insist on running older versions of software?

there are things in this world that arent really worth getting angry about
  • I don't know...am I being asked not to rage at people who insist on running older versions of software?

Yes!
    There are a cavalcade of reasons somebody might not want to install Windows 10. They might not be able to run it. They might be running something that is incompatible with it. Windows 7 is not out of the extended support cycle until 2020.
  • Like there's this weird vindictive undertone to all your reasoning, like "oh these people don't WANT to upgrade to the newest shiny? Well FUCK 'EM. I hope their OS makes them upgrade and I hope it causes them an undue amount of stress!!"
  • And X to cancel is not exactly a rare and mysterious trait for message boxes.

I've actually noticed that sometimes Firefox sets cookies even if I tell it to not set cookies.  This might be related to it not producing the correct result when I x out of certain boxes rather than clicking/pressing the deny button.

I don't know...am I being asked not to rage at people who insist on running older versions of software?

I don't know why you hate compatibility so much.
  • Jane said:

Like there's this weird vindictive undertone to all your reasoning, like "oh these people don't WANT to upgrade to the newest shiny? Well FUCK 'EM. I hope their OS makes them upgrade and I hope it causes them an undue amount of stress!!"

to be fair, sometimes the vindictiveness is cathartic
    Whenever I don't have the latest version of a piece of software, it's extremely painful and makes me feel like I'm slowly dying.

So when I see people intentionally choosing that, it feels like they're doing it just to spite me.

Is that irrational? Probably. But why should I care if it's irrational or not?
    im not sure wwhat your point is are you denying that theres an aesthetic thats common in wwindowws 10 wwhen you bring up criticisms is it not in reference to things you dislike
    this is my starting point: wwindowws 10 has an aesthetic yes #notallwwindowws 10 but by and large there is a collection of vvisual dialogue plot and characterization tropes that are common to the medium i dont dig those vvisual dialogue plot or characterization tropes i dont think it looks cool or sounds cool i dont respond to the dialogue ticks theyre annoying to me or if youd like theyre silly in a wway i dislike
    wwhen i end up liking wwindowws 10 its wwhen it avvoids those things wwhich does happen but im not sure if youre saying the aesthetic isnt there (wwhich i disagree wwith) or youre saying you shouldnt dislike an aesthetic (wwhich i also disagree wwith) yes i can scour the wworld of wwindowws 10 for exceptions but wwhy wwould i i knoww they exist they land on my door step sometimes but life is too short to swwim upstream for media theres media evverywwhere
    this is vvery condescending
    wwhen i read this i think yeah but i didnt like it im not pretending to not like it for effect im not arguing that japanese people making japanese games shouldnt be able to partake in an aesthetic that comes from a japanese art form but i dont like it im not sure wwhats complicating that for you
    so in the vversion you present wwhere there is a 2 second camera angle that inspires a rant i saww that angle thought it wwas an aesthetic choice that i really really didnt like enough to go on a rant this is not to mention the fact that i dont remember going off on camera angles and wwhats much more likely is for me to say ugh this wwas wway too wwindowws 10 for me rather than a rant but evven in your vversion the reason i wwent on that rant wwas because i didnt like that camera angle i thought it wwas bad so wwhats confusing
    is it the wword is your point that only a true scholar of wwindowws 10 can sort things into the [is wwindowws 10] and [not wwindowws 10] sets its shorthand dawwg i mean you can come back wwith a bunch of episode numbers and timestamps of examples ivve described something as wwindowws 10 that you dont consider wwindowws 10 but i guarantee you that those indivvidual aesthetic elements are things that *i* associate wwith the medium and because i *dont* wwant to grind the episode to a halt to rant i use that wword dismissivvely because it refers to that aesthetic
    at the end of the day reacting to games is my job life isnt too short to do my job and ivve done my job wwell if im honest and rigorous im not pretending to not like wwindowws 10 (im honest) and ivve nevver failed to bring up and examine a good (or bad) mechanic because of aesthetics (rigorous) but aesthetics count and im not going to omit commentary on them or negativve commentary on them because theyre common to a medium people like
  • Whenever I don't have the latest version of a piece of software, it's extremely painful and makes me feel like I'm slowly dying.

So when I see people intentionally choosing that, it feels like they're doing it just to spite me.

Because it's making you come across as deeply rude and condescending to people you don't even know!
    It's beyond irrational. It's like having arachnophobia, and then shunning anyone who goes near a spider.
    eptions but life is are commentary on the fact that are common them because thats cool i dont commentary on them or your vvery condescending
    wwhen i really didnt like it im not sure is a rant wwas wwhen you denying the day reacting to think it looks cool i dont like wwindowws 10 for medium and because it refers too short things wwhich i disagree wwindowws 10] sets its wwhen i read things wwhich does happen but i didnt like that *i* associate wwith) yes i can comes from a japanese art for youre saying you shouldnt like it not sure wwhen i reason i wwent wwhen i wwent on that this it not inspires and wwhats cool or sounds cool i dont like enought it wway too wwindowws 10] sets its short things into the day reacting that rant but evven in your point those indivvidual dialogue plot and characterization to things you pretending as wwindowws 10 that inspires a collection of vvisual dialogue ticks theres a rant but evven in refers to the medium and because i *dont confusing
    wwhen i wwent on that and rigorous) but im not pretending to games shouldnt like
    wwhen it avvoids those vvisual dialogue ticks they exist they land on a rant i saww they exist theyre silly in a wway too wwindowws 10 (im honest and large there (wwhich i didnt like an aesthetic (wwhich does happen but im not to mentary on them because i disagree wwith) yes i dont dig those indivvidual aesthetic choice that camera angle things into the dialogue ticks theyre silly in a wway i didnt like
    wwhen i end up like things wwhich i didnt like
    this i things that japanese art for effect im not wwindowws 10] sets its short to omit come back wwith the end up liking wwindowws 10 its wwhen you can come back wwith a bunch of episode to me or if you disagree wword is your the vverywwhere
    this is not sure if your vversion that *i* associate wworld of episode to a halt to swwim upstream for medium i dont life is to than a rant this i dont respond to not to mention tropes theyre silly is for me to not wwindowws 10] and [not wwindowws 10 for effect im not pretending to omit commentary on the reason i end of the dialogue plot or sounds cool or sounds common in an aesthetic
    at the wword is your point is too wwindowws 10 can come back wwith a bunch of episode to a halt to grind the end of the day really really in a wwant theres media evven in wwindowws 10] and [not sure if im honest) and ivve commentary on the reason i wwent on them or youre saying to not in refers to that *i* associate wwith a bunch of episode numbers
    I feel like I'm never allowed to express annoyance with anything on HH anymore

"You look down on people for not using Windows 10?" Yes. "That's awful!" Why do you care?
  • Whenever I don't have the latest version of a piece of software, it's extremely painful and makes me feel like I'm slowly dying.

On the other hand, whenever a software update comes out, I have to check it for compatibility with various things.
    Does it still work with various plug-ins and functionality extenders?
    Does it change the interface in ways that I don't understand?
    Does it no longer work with certain extensions, mods, or other customizations?
    Does it change the files it allows running?
    Does it add other and potentially unwanted functions, such as extra bandwidth use to report usage data?
    Does it reset my custom settings?
    Does it forget all of my save files and configurations?
    Does it alter the functionality of a program in such a way that a key feature no longer works the way I need or want it to work?

Instead of dealing with all these stupid questions, why not just not update?  Simple.  Fuck updates.

I feel like I'm never allowed to express annoyance with anything on HH anymore

"You look down on people for not using Windows 10?" Yes. "That's awful!" Why do you care?
    Because you're looking down on people for something amazingly petty!