The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I just netflix and chill
  • kill living beings
    defining something by our inability to understand it is kind of epistemologically fraught, i bet. doctors have it hard
  • what, again?

bloody hell, why do they keep picking a story that relies so heavily on its medium as a series of books?
    I'd imagine they can do some unique things with the medium of Netflix, as far as I know this has been cooking for a while and a lot of good stuff has come of the medium

The only books (aside from things like House of Leaves) I can think of that I'd say very nearly can't be translated to television are Discworld, and there have been some noble efforts to that end.
  • don't a lot of people like that one Discworld game

not that I have a stake in it either way, just saying
  • Yeah, they do, but to my knowledge it's roughly on par with something like Monkey Island, which is great, but Discworld did some really really fascinating stuff that'd be difficult to do (without significant changes to presentation) in a medium other than books

Which makes me want to see a truly great adaptation so, so much more. Because Discworld deserves it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the author is going to be an executive producer, maybe it will be good
  • kill living beings
    wasn't Pratchett buds with Douglas Adams? I don't remember
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    There have been some good streaming service originals.

W/Bob and David was good, and so was Man In The High Castle.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay, legit, is it me or does Jim Sterling use Nazi imagery?
  • Probably not intentionally.

He's superficially another douchey Internet celebrity but he's genuinely got a good heart.
  • But I do see what you're saying.
    i know nothing about Jim Sterling but i googled "Jim Sterling nazi" and the first result was r/KotakuInAction complaining about him because he dissed Gamergate
  • I think the idea behind his character is that he is supposed to be a parody of douchey internet reviewer types that are very loudly opinionated (see: someone like Totalbiscuit). 

The impression from his outfit I get is more "wannabe 90s cyberpunk nerd" but I see how you can get "fascist" out of that too. Either one works with his shtick i suppose.
    MachSpeed said:

Okay, legit, is it me or does Jim Sterling use Nazi imagery?

I think it's an accident.
    Tachyon said:

i know nothing about Jim Sterling but i googled "Jim Sterling nazi" and the first result was r/KotakuInAction complaining about him because he dissed Gamergate

KIA initially thought Jim Sterling would be on their side because he cares about ethics in game journalism.

This turned out to be wrong, because Jim Sterling ACTUALLY DOES care about ethics in game journalism.
    Honestly every major nerd celebrity I can think of who isn't Totalbiscuit has dissed Gamergate at this point.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's the flag I'm talking about.
  • I forgot about the flag.

Again, might be part of his whole parodic "i tell you what to think" thing.
    It looks like a joke.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    But what if Tachyon was secretly related to the Dumbledore family?
    Then there would be a high chance i'd be able to do magic, unless i was a squib.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What does Ash's magic wand look like?

Or Jane's?
  • wands are for casuals

I have a staff, a deck of tarrock cards, a magic necklace, a pot, ten mystical rings that formerly belonged to the great wizard Gon'Tor, and a Tongue Piercing of Infinite Mysteries, but no wand.
    ...do you keep all that stuff in your dorm? How did you keep the prefects from finding it?
  • my Tongue Piercing of Infinite Mysteries came with a box that's bigger on the inside.
    I have a spiral-patterned golden wand capped with a caged 3D representation of the Bohr model of the atom.  The heel of the wand is tipped with a small stellated dodecahedron.

It's a bit small but that's because it's a fairy wand!  I'll ask you not to make jokes.
    You're like the fairy version of otherkin, you know that?
    I can live with that.
    cowkin
    faekin
    Ash Upquark is basically otherkin Hermione i guess

with just a dash of Marco Diaz for good measure
  • edited 2016-01-25 03:54:46

this is kinda ironic, given that otherkin was a term originally a derisive term coined by elfkin for people who identified as things that werent elves
    nothing of combat
    every now and then I fall apart
  • edited 2016-01-25 04:01:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^^ ha!  i forgot about that
  • of course now we have proudly reclaimed the slur
    honestly i don't think i'd be counted as otherkin, and i'm not saying this because blah otherkin suck whatever, but because there's a level of distance there?  like, it's an RP, not my identity

it's like the difference between a furry fan and someone who literally identifies as a wolf

there's an element of paradox integral to the Ash aesthetic, a likeness that is emphatically not a belonging
  • kill living beings
    amon tobin is good dang
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Toolsie said:

I'm going through my iTunes library now because there is some stuff I don't really listen to.

Just switch your iPod to Manual Mode and rotate stuff in and out based on what you listen to.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

amon tobin is good dang

Yes.
  • the idea of not having enough music to easily fill your listening device of choice multiple times over is so strange to me
  • Toolsie said:

I'm going through my iTunes library now because there is some stuff I don't really listen to.

Just switch your iPod to Manual Mode and rotate stuff in and out based on what you listen to.
    this doesn't really work as it should ime
  • kill living beings
    plus he has an album named bricolage, which is a good concept
  • edited 2016-01-25 06:17:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Same. I have at least a few hundred GB of music...
  • kill living beings
    ...huh?

i mean i know who you mean but
  • kill living beings
    Sometimes I feel energetic. Feeling energetic means wanting to be violence. Wanting everyone to hack each other apart with adzes, wanting people to collapse as the mold overtakes them, wanting the walls to scream until the sound pressure packs me into closed timelike curves of dust. So I should probably seek counseling again.
  • I feel you kinda

also ty for reminding me that adzes exist