The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I didn't really interpret Jane's post as anything deeper than "I'd rather see this examined by academics than by a YouTube channel"

yeah exactly

and it was a very reasonable misunderstanding, given the talk of " credit scores" and the actual nature of what was going on in the article excerpt posted, to assume that the system as discussed by the Extra Credits people was primarily economic in nature
  • Jane said:

"unbelievable bullshit like the bible"

same
  • god my lips are so unhappy and my connection keeps flaking out
  • edited 2016-01-12 04:09:54
    kill living beings
    Okay it looks like there's an argument or whatever, so I'd like to clarify that the following statement concerns something that I, a pile of meat, just did in the world of polymers.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
  • the world of polymers.

this is the new idiom to replace meatspace tbh
  • what did you do in the world of polymers, Klino.
  • kill living beings
    (tried to) deep fry without a license
  • I didn't really interpret Jane's post as anything deeper than "I'd rather see this examined by academics than by a YouTube channel"

Crystal said:

Interesting as this is to read, MA, I think you're trying to have a conversation with precisely the sort of person that does not want this. I mean, I expect to be told to hush if I'm off-base, naturally. As is, I understand that she has her stance insofar as preferring a different group of people to approach the subject (which Centie ninja'd me in saying), this thread of chatter rubs her the wrong way, and trying to continue it when someone is clearly, at the very least, not pleased with the direction of the conversation is a tad... off?

Anyway, back to LPs.

I'm quoting these together to make one last query/point. If people ddn't want to have this conversation, then I haven't gotten the hint. My mistake. However, I have to question the notion that game design expertise isn't "academic", or the assumption that James positions aren't derived from at least some analysis comparable to academic standards. There are significant issues in game design education owing to the relative youth of the area, but game design as a discipline is barely younger than the economic discipline in the grander scheme -- both became academic disciplines within the 20th century after millennia of application unrelated to official academic institutions. Similar issues in economic academia have produced errors vastly more severe, such as basically the entirety of the Austrian and Chicago schools.  

That's what one gets with young disciplines, and both are young enough to be near siblings. 

Those who don't wish to have this conversation are under no obligation to carry it on. But I think the above is sufficient food for thought. I feel there are some unconscious biases at play here that could be attended to. The continued assumption that game design exists in its own bubble world (as opposed to being a variant of systems design) would be one substantial example.   

Sorry for the continued longposting, but I do get in a huff when I feel I'm not being showed the same respect I'm showing others. In retrospect, that probably has more to do with my interpretation of posts rather than their actual intent. For future reference, I am completely okay with being told that this discussion isn't something others want to continue in a forthright fashion. Clarity is good. 
  • Well if it wasn't abundantly clear I no longer really wish to talk about this.

The reason I didn't explicitly say so is that in my experience saying that tends to just make the other person want to continue talking more.

(tried to) deep fry without a license

rip tzetze
  • oh cool blood is leaking out of my ear again
  • edited 2016-01-12 04:25:11
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    MA, let me just say I actually do share your interest in game design, and find it relevant. I'm curious, and like the conversation; but my post was not about me, see.  Nor was it about what I actually think. I didn't straight up ask for an ending because it was as I said, interesting, and as I implied, not annoying enough to warrant that. Plus I would have considered it disrespectful to speak for Jane there.

Now, something else please.

^ Ugh, I'm sorry. That's, like, never fun at all.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    For reference I've been watching this, and also trying to plan out my day tomorrow, and been getting ready for bed. I also kind of want to read something but unfortunately lack the energy for it right now, heeeence LPs.
  • Sorry. I didn't intend to throw any particular ire at anyone, despite the fact that I was feeling a bit ireful. I'm happy to call it to a close with an apology. 
  • I'm so hungry that I am actually flat chested.
  • edited 2016-01-12 04:35:35
    ಠ_ಠ
    And my that I mean my tummy is flat
  • kill living beings
    it's just that it looks so serene. that lake of oil on high heat. and then anything wet touches it and you regret everything you've ever done

so i guess i'm going to stick with normal burritos instead of chimichangas, going forward
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm real tired.
  • kill living beings
    i think i also destroyed my spatula, so that sucks
  • edited 2016-01-12 04:43:00
    ಠ_ಠ
    So I have an exam for which I have only half revised for in a few hours, and I can't get back to sleep even though I haven't slept that much and my alarm goes off in three and a bit hours time.

Help pls
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    flat-chested D:
  • Turns out I was freaking out about a paper that I don't need to worry about until the summer exams

In that case, I'm going to fucking nail this exam
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Go Tools.
  • Which is odd, because there's a big Statistics portion to the exam, which is usually my Achilles heel...
  • student t(ools) test
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    achilles last stand
  • My room is freezing
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't like getting angry. After the anger fades I barely have any strength left.
  • After my exam, I'm going back to sleep.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    MachSpeed said:

I don't like getting angry. After the anger fades I barely have any strength left.

and half the time, I in particular want to cry!
    Crying might make me feel better.
  • I am one hell of a bullshitter when it comes to exams.

I got a 15 mark essay style question on handwriting analysis, and had to compare three different handwriting styles and say what the pen source was.

I slept through all the handwriting lectures, and still managed to do a full essay on each of the handwriting pieces.
  • In the student pub, and I got in just before the big lunch time rush.
  • Why is there no attractive way to eat garlic bread?
  • It's the great equalizer of carb-filled wheat products, Tools.
  • I'm eating pasta (which is cold and tasteless, again) and garlic bread. The pasta I can get away with eating with a fork, but the garlic bread get picked up with my bare hands and ripped into, like a lion eating a gazelle.
  • And the whole student bar has just been Rick Rolled.

Never Gonna Give You Up is playing on the music channel in the bar.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    As if that's a bad thing...rawr
  • I'm still disappointed that the people behind the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics missed out on a golden opportunity to Rick Roll the whole world.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ugh, I was all ready to drive myself to school this morning despite the snow...but my car wouldn't cooperate.

So now I'm going to miss my 9 AM class because in the time it would take me to get a ride, the class would be nearly over.

This sucks. >_<
  • Poor Centie

It's due to snow here soon, according to the weather forecast. It's certain chilly enough for it to snow. The air has the winter chill to it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    On the plus side: I can get back in bed, or at least lounge around under a blanket for a while
    Why does everyone call Charlie Brown by his full name all the time, anyways? They don't call his sister "Sally Brown"...
  • People used to call me by my full name (or an abbreviation thereof) while just using my brother's first name.

I think it had to do with how we wrote our names.
  • Why does everyone call Charlie Brown by his full name all the time, anyways? They don't call his sister "Sally Brown"...

this is a very familiar thought
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Legends speak of a naneycat arising from a blood red sea
  • yus

I demand tribute!

in the form of

breakfast!!!!!!!!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    *puts out turkey giblets*

I was hoping for hash browns :<
  • noooooo my mom and my sister are arguing 8<