The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Vive finally got a preorder date (February 29th). No price yet, though.
  • I've discovered how to take proper photos in The Sims 3.

Cos I'm dumb
  • tell you what 3 degrees is infinitely nicer than -6
  • So I asked Siri what the meaning of life was

It replied "42" in a sarcastic tone
  • Le geek refrance
  • I am suddenly filled with the urge to do push-ups
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You do those rather unexpectedly at times.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hi. My name is Rainbow Starshine. I'm here to solve your mystery.
  • The Mystery of the Missing Skinhead
  • kill living beings
    oh, jesus, the professor just asked who's taken Latin, I really am in an anatomy class
  • 42 is a thing-number.

Actually it is the original thing-number.

8 is, probably unsurprisingly, another thing-number.
  • clothes are in the dryer

now to make sure I do not melt my sister's acrylic sweaters
  • oh, jesus, the professor just asked who's taken Latin, I really am in an anatomy class

Eheu!!!
  • kill living beings
    yeah

also a good part this class is Sacks based. I'm cool with that
  • eheu is one of the few concrete things I remember specifically from taking latin
  • my laptop is shipped, USPS says it should be here Wednesday
  • so that's nice
  • My student loan came through

Fuck yes
  • clothes are in the dryer

now to make sure I do not melt my sister's acrylic sweaters

As long as you don't use super high heat or something they will probably be fine; I've knitted many things from acrylic and they tumble dry well on low heat.

(I almost wrote "tumblr" instead of "tumble".)
  • I had them in on high, so I had to check in on them on a regular basis, but they are dry now and totally un-melted
  • also why on earth does my sister have 3 identical pink sweaters

also why on earth does my sister have 3 identical pink sweaters

Why do you not have 3 identical pink sweaters?
  • because pink is a color that is not black or grey and I don't stand for that sort of thing

with the exception of the occasional thing that is dark navy or blue

also that paisley shirt I have

and a bunch of white t-shirts, and 2 or 3 white oxfords for job interview purposes
    TIL Naney is a puritan.
    M3
  • I have sweaters in a lot of colors and color combinations

mostly 'cause I knit them myself though I've got a few that I did not knit.
  • I am wearing one I knit today.

It is a lovely royal purple color.
  • yeah

also a good part this class is Sacks based. I'm cool with that

Reading "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" was a formative experience for me. Sacks was awesome.
  • kill living beings
    yeah, well, i'm writing a term paper on it.

i've only heard of it and sacks, and read part of musicology, though. i'm looking forward to this. also watching Awakenings.

This was on the comments for a John McDowell video on youtube.
  • does that entail straight guys going to lesbian bars or like

it wouldn't surprise me if straight dudes actually did this

straight people are insane
    people do this all the time, actually. It's sad.
  • what kind of lesbian doesnt like vegetables
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane said:

from whence

Lily Love.
    what she said
  • MachSpeed said:

If I have to see one more fucking newspaper website article Sesame Credit based on nothing more than fucking Extra Credits, I will command the earth to open up and give up its bounty of flaming metal to us all because we deserve nothing better.

I used to believe in journalism. I used to believe people wanted to know everything before making decisions.

That was my mistake. To believe in anything at all.
    I

Honestly have no idea what additional context could possibly change anything about how insidious the concept of Sesame Credit is?

Unless you're saying something different in which case my apologies.
  • what is sesame credit

is it a card u use to buy delicious sesame seed buns
  • It's a system in China akin to a credit score, but instead of being an esoteric ranking of how reliable you are with money, it compiles your social media history and stuff to determine how good of a citizen you are. It's going to be mandatory in a few years.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    eurgh
    Thankfully, it’s not quite as bad as all that. The ACLU seems to have been confused about a few things, but here’s the key one: Alibaba’s Sesame Credit scoring system, Tencent’s credit scoring system, and the mandatory government one (which isn’t mandatory until 2020) arenot the same things. They are three different things that many articles in the Western press are treating as if they were the same...

Sesame Credit does offer some of the features outlined in the ACLU article. It doesn’t hand out Singapore visas, obviously – I’m not sure how that would even be possible – but it wasoffering promotions for people with high credit scores, including access to a high-speed VIP check-in at Beijing’s Capital International Airport. China’s government has not endorsed this, though. In fact, according to Caixin, China’s central bank is annoyed by the promotional tactics and has reportedly ordered Sesame Credit to stop offering the airport promotional benefit.

The online score-sharing and bragging alluded to by the ACLU also seems to be coming primarily from Sesame Credit. Some critics have accused the scoring system of essentially being a marketing gimmick designed to promote use of Alibaba’s payment service Alipay (since an increased number of transactions will raise your score).

Many of the other details from the ACLU’s article seem to be based on Tencent’s credit score system, which does mine data from users’ social networks in order to determine their credit. I haven’t been able to find any direct statement that Tencent factors in users’ political post history – or that of their friends – in determining a credit score....

For the moment, though, take whatever you read with a grain of salt. China has no mandatory “citizen score” system yet, and the details popping up all over the web about that system appear to be taken from Alibaba and Tencent’s wholly separate, definitely-not-mandatory credit scoring systems. A lot of these details also appear to be exaggerated.

• kill living beings
    I didn't know the ACLU commented on foreign issues.
  • why when we paste things here do they become very large

anyway that's....good? I guess?
  • edited 2016-01-12 01:51:33
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Here's the thing.

I don't know what Sesame Credit is. Extra Credits says it's an omnipotent, Orwellian social control measure that will condition all citizens of the PRC into nice, compliant mindslaves. Other sources say that it's actually a means of compiling credit scores that other people can check, so people can know who they're dealing with, because the economic situation there is complicated. Some people have cars. Some people are really rich. And some people have a bicycle and a rice-cooker. And now that passage that Myr posted that it's actually three different things conflated as one.

Extra Credits can say whatever the fuck they want, no matter how alarmist they are, even if they're wrong about the facts. They shouldn't have said it, but they did, and there's no going back. But they're not journalists.

You know who the fuck are fucking journalists? The fucking Independent. No sources aside from Extra Credits. No checks. Nothing but information regurgitated from a Youtube video.

I'm more angry about these fucking people than I am at Extra Credits.
  • edited 2016-01-12 01:53:01
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I try not to take on faith anything I read. I especially don't take on faith quote-unquote "news" that comes from non-journalists.

And now I learn that I shouldn't have faith in anything at all.