The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• this is the inevitable product of not pursuing a strong aesthetic
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    . . . can we actually talk about that?

because 'pursuing an aesthetic', like on a blog or whatever, kinda

it's sort of hard to explain

like on a very direct intuitive level it feels wrong, like shutting off parts of oneself

i dunno, i dunno how people do it
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anyway I'm sad you asked that question because I looked it up and now my day is ruined.
  • you know, that whole thing reads like something my dad would write if he wrote things

not in terms of exact subject matter, but in terms of tone and general ??????-ness
    Naney's Dad is a great American playwright, period. He is also a great teacher. He has protean interests–political, personal, epochal, mystical and dreamlike all at once. Saul Bellow said that a writer is a reader moved to emulation. Any serious playwright would gain far more by emulating Naney's Dad and participating in his workshop than by surrendering to any American MFA program. He is utterly without a scintilla of bullshit
  • edited 2015-11-30 23:07:53

my dad can bake and mock the patients at the nursing home he works at and quote Zizek at length

what a guy
  • oh man now im forgetting the name of that right-wing catholic guy he used to like a lot
  • kill living beings
    j physiol
    but yeah it's like he set out to write an essay without any clear plan and just threw up this stream of consciousness thing and posted it as the finished essay

also astoundingly ignorant views on autism
    i hate when the day is over and i'm too tired to think straight and i still haven't done what i planned
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

but yeah it's like he set out to write an essay without any clear plan and just threw up this stream of consciousness thing and posted it as the finished essay

my modus operand...us
    ok but you at least (sound like you) know what you're talking about when you do that
  • Tachyon said:

. . . can we actually talk about that?

because 'pursuing an aesthetic', like on a blog or whatever, kinda

it's sort of hard to explain

like on a very direct intuitive level it feels wrong, like shutting off parts of oneself

i dunno, i dunno how people do it

i guess it's easy for me because i self-censor/curate/edit my own thought process a lot
    well i mean that can't be what i mean because i actively revile parts of myself on a continual basis

so what do i mean

i don't know, i'm bad at analyzing thoughts like this
    i suppose i mean that selecting on an AESTHETIC basis seems to require more discipline than selecting on other grounds

obviously nobody blogs about literally everything in their lives but still
  • edited 2015-11-30 23:22:40
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

also astoundingly ignorant views on autism

This is every essay he writes
    i am tired and probably not making a lot of sense, sorry

also my left eye really hurts for some reason
  • Okay, just hear me out.

Conan and the Barbarians on strings

Mithril Rock lyrics with String Quartet instrumentation
    well you'd have an audience
    that's basically guaranteed
    i know what i mean

i mean like

being highly selective with ones blog posts on aesthetic grounds

the result is a blog that looks really good

the trade-off is self-expression is significantly curbed, but the result is obviously superior
  • Tachyon said:

"standard-fare internet dickery" is something i've been doing my best to avoid lately

i don't like it, but fighting against it is almost like purposely going into an RPG dungeon just to grind against enemies that give you almost no XP only because you hate the enemies so much

in other words, a waste of time
  • UNLESS you have an area-of-effect attack that neutralizes a whole ton of them at once

such as a very effective zinger said by a famous person posted to a high-traffic website
  • edited 2015-11-30 23:48:19
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ so i've been doing my best to avoid it

e:

UNLESS you have an area-of-effect attack that neutralizes a whole ton of them at once

such as a very effective zinger said by a famous person posted to a high-traffic website

no, this is still not worth the trouble
    feel kinda grouchy

should go to bed
  • Do you mean avoiding getting involved in dealing with it or do you mean purposely avoiding places that have it?

Because I'm just, like, if it shows up where I happen to be, I simply don't give it the time of day and move on, rather than letting it make me feel uncomfortable.

I only give it a whack if it happens to be convenient for me to do so.
    i mean i don't want to even encounter it if i can help it
    i don't 'let it' make me uncomfortable, it does

i can ignore it and move on to other things, or i can pick a pointless fight with it

but not seeing it at all is preferable to either
    or like i guess it kinda depends on the place

like if a few dumb or unpleasant things get quoted on HH, i can deal with that because HH is worth it for being a forum i like to hang out on

but if the place didn't much interest me to begin with i see no reason to stick around and put up with annoying posts
    it is, in fact, remarkably easy to avoid the kinds of posts that annoy me, simply by avoiding tumblr/twitter/reddit/tvt/any and all comments sections

no great loss
  • well I guess I don't visit tumblr or reddit or 4chan so I can easily ignore most of anything that goes on in those places

there's facebook but whenever i am going to participate in discussions of political and other controversial topics i had better have all my ducks lined up or else i'd embarrass myself -- which just means i ought to keep my mouth shut if i'm not sure what i'll say will help my cause
  • edited 2015-12-01 00:11:48
    honestly, someone could make a post that literally says a chain of expletives and racial slurs and nothing else and that would be more funny than offensive because it's basically a mockery of the normal meaning of those words anyway

on the other hand, someone could very politely write a post that is highly bigoted; if anything, the latter is more dangerous since it's more suave and seemly
  • hell is a wasteland in Momodora III

and it has poignant music

Momodora III doesn't have a well-fleshed-out plot, but one can treat the apparent "plot holes" with a sense of poetic creativity, which actually goes quite well with the tone of the game
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

i know what i mean

i mean like

being highly selective with ones blog posts on aesthetic grounds

the result is a blog that looks really good

the trade-off is self-expression is significantly curbed, but the result is obviously superior

not doing this is basically my internet strategy, so you're not alone or whatever
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's been a couple years since I had a new smartphone.

Have manufacturers figured out yet that making you take off the back of the phone to swap SD cards is annoying and inconvenient?
  • It's been a couple years since I had a new smartphone.

Have manufacturers figured out yet that making you take off the back of the phone to swap SD cards is annoying and inconvenient?
    is it more or less annoying than somehow managing to have the SD card pop out and lose it

because if it was accessible through an outside slot, people would absolutely do that
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    True.

I dunno, a lot of digital cameras had a little flap you'd open to pop the card in and out, and I never had a problem with those...but then, digital cameras used full-size SD cards, which are significantly harder to lose than the microSD cards phones use.
    It would be a non-issue if I could just plug the phone into the computer and access the SD card like a regular drive, but instead it uses that bizarre "MTP" protocol that's slow and unreliable and feels like something that belongs on a digital camera in 2007.

If I want to quickly and reliably transfer big files (say, movies) to my SD card, I've gotta take it out of the phone and pop it into my computer.
  • edited 2015-12-01 01:06:41

exactly.

when engineering/designing products that people with a wide variety of experience use every day, you need to design to minimize fuckupability
    Embedded image permalink
    i knew you were gonna post that in response, naney
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Others make the same point a bit more forcefully. “I’ve had enough. They’re not on our side,” says 81-year-old Alan, a retired grandfather who voted for Thatcher and Blair but is now a signed-up ’Kipper.
    ...What exactly is that side?
  • Barely anyone ever uses overwrite for the purpose of document typing anymore.

However, I just realized, overwrite would be really, really useful for ascii art.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Garbage Ape: The Movie: The Game
  • edited 2015-12-01 02:55:11
    I Wanna Be The Garbage Ape?

featuring Skunkgief as a boss
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    who doesn't?