The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2015-11-30 01:47:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I often end up in what I tend to think of as a "semi-lucid dream"...I'm not consciously  aware that I'm dreaming, but I am aware on some base level that I can manipulate reality and bend it to my will.

It's quite a nice thing to have.
    i get the opposite, kinda

or not really the opposite, but

i'll often be aware that what's happening is in some sense not real, i'll be a lot less cautious than i am in real life and i may even be aware that i can wake up

but i won't be able to control what actually happens

in fact one of the worst things that can happen to me in a dream is for me to have the thought 'this a dream' and infer that anything i think might happen actually could happen, because invariably some horrible possibility will pop into my head unbidden and i'll think, 'oh no, that's about to happen, isn't it?' and then it will
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I used to have this thing happen to me as a kid where I'd be in a nightmare, and realize it, and stop being scared. And then I would try to have monsters eat me so that I would wake up, which didn't work very well.
    There would also be this recurring thing where I would see someone I knew in a dream, then I would see them again in a place they couldn't be, and I would have to choose the real one.

I would always choose wrong, and the they would kill me.
  • edited 2015-11-30 01:51:50
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    presumably if you weren't scared, them eating you wouldn't cause you to wake?

i always figured it was being sufficiently scared that woke you up, rather than 'dying'
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

There would also be this recurring thing where I would see someone I knew in a dream, then I would see them again in a place they couldn't be, and I would have to choose the real one.

I would always choose wrong, and the they would kill me.
    that's creepy
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Last night I dreamt I was in a restaurant where I ordered some chicken and learned the truth behind the song "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House
  • edited 2015-11-30 01:56:26
    My dreams exceed my real life
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ffs man, it was nowhere near that creepy.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

black dude looks a lot like Kwame from Captain Planet

Did DIC reuse that character design or something
    Probably
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    END 2015
    1 MILE
  • kill living beings
    young lady i'm having a really hard time understanding your time/distance conversion rates
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i think it's supposed to be roughly one mile to one month but it's not even december 1st over there yet
  • edited 2015-11-30 06:02:40
    Okay, now I should probably stop looking at pictures of political slogans with sexual meanings since I'm still in the dining hall.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    When I am making Haven-level puns about anime, you know I am barely conscious.

Anyway, goodnight ladies, ladies goodnight. ('Cause now it's time to get hiiiiigh...?)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yes, ma'am.

Had to expand that joke, though. Each iteration gets worse and worse.
  • kill living beings
    the only good thing about appleseedas its the soundtrack

get me some ryusishic sakamoto

bump over hills
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    An anime about Johnny Appleseed.
  • Got a monster of a bruise on my knee.

I have no recollection of how it got there. 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That teacher sounds like she'd be a teacher at Hazelnut Middle School
  • Stress migraines fuck
  • edited 2015-11-30 14:18:20
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Gasoline Alley mentioning JPEGs is a whole load of fuck.

On the other hand, the execution of the joke is exactly how you'd expect a comic starting in 1918 to approach modern digital stuff.
  • edited 2015-11-30 14:19:29
    ಠ_ಠ
    I have a two hour lecture at 3. Shall I do a lab report that is due in on Friday and get it finished during this lecture, or should I go back to my family of fairies on The Sims 3?

These characters are supposed to be aliens pretending to say what they think humans would say in that situation, right?
    To be honest I am glad it will cost $1,000. It will price a bunch of you teenagers and college students out of the market and help me have a better chance of getting one. God bless Capitalism.
    It must be painful to have your nose stuck so far in the air.
  • To be honest I am glad it will cost $1,000. It will price a bunch of you teenagers and college students out of the market and help me have a better chance of getting one. God bless Capitalism.
    It must be painful to have your nose stuck so far in the air.
    Getting one of what?

These characters are supposed to be aliens pretending to say what they think humans would say in that situation, right?
    is the dark-haired character supposed to have a lazy eye or is that a mistake?
    HTC Vive. There's no way on Earth that it's going to cost $1k, since that would be pricing themselves so far out of the market as to be suicide.
    even so that $1000 comment is the most obnoxious thing i've read in a while
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I kinda want to get a VR unit but it seems like Oculus is distancing themselves from games
    Realistically, the top end price on the Vive is going to be $700, and even that's me being incredibly generous.
    Mistake
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Unfortunately, I once visited Hawaii when I was little.  But I fully intend to never leave my beloved Tectonic Plate ever again.
    (2015 self)
    I mean, Hawaii is fantastic and amazing, and probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and I have lived a richer life for having been there.
    (2015 self)
    But it was so strange how people drove only ten over the speed limit, and actually used turn signals and stopped at stop signs.
  • edited 2015-11-30 17:19:35
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Zeether said:

I kinda want to get a VR unit but it seems like Oculus is distancing themselves from games

Not really? Like, there's a difference between saying "VR can be used for stuff other than games." (which is vitally important for mainstream appeal of a brand new technology) and "It's not really for games." A big issue that's currently in the air is actually platform exclusivity, since several games have exclusivity deals with Oculus.
    (2015 self)
    Also, it means that I left the North American continent, which feels wrong, as if there is some sort of prophecy that I won't die until after I leave this continent and now that requirement is fufilled.
    when i was a kid i hoped to visit every continent before i died

i didn't have any particular countries or cities in mind, i just wanted to run through the whole checklist
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

Zeether said:

Not really? Like, there's a difference between saying "VR can be used for stuff other than games." (which is vitally important for mainstream appeal of a brand new technology) and "It's not really for games." A big issue that's currently in the air is actually platform exclusivity, since several games have exclusivity deals with Oculus.
    Maybe I'm just too concerned. I know Elite Dangerous will support the Vive when it launches.
    ...Man, it's kinda surreal that consumer VR HMDs are gonna be out within a month.
  • kill living beings
    "thing might be useful for things other than video games" is a bad reason to not be into thing

"thing might be useful for things other than video games" is a bad reason to not be into thing

Yeah, I'm probably going to drop that thought now.

I'm also not sure if a headset would work on my current desktop.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This past week or so has been a rough one here at Ohio State University

On Tuesday a student died when he broke his neck jumping into Mirror Lake for "beat Michigan week"

Then yesterday an ex-employee vandalized some art exhibits at the Wexner Center before shooting himself

Just...jeez
  • edited 2015-11-30 17:53:20
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Part of me hopes people never terraform Mars.  Mars is too lovely and wonderful, despite those dang rovers leaving tacky tracks all over the place.  I mean, it's like a whole planet of australia/nevada/arizona/southernUtah.

But planets outside the solar system, I don't care about.  I never liked Kepler-186f anyway.

It's like making a bridge over the Grand Canyon, or leveling the Himalayas, or draining the pacific ocean, there are some things that I don't think people were ever intended to do.

Like, there are some places, like the inside of active volcanoes, or the surface of the sun, or the center of the earth, or deep into Antarctica, where I don't think people were ever supposed to go.

livesinthewrongcenturyliroz.

On the other hand, part of me is exited at new innovations and at how people do things that were once impossible.
    livesintherightcenturyliroz
    (2015 self)

This past week or so has been a rough one here at Ohio State University

On Tuesday a student died when he broke his neck jumping into Mirror Lake for "beat Michigan week"

Then yesterday an ex-employee vandalized some art exhibits at the Wexner Center before shooting himself

Just...jeez

Oh, that's... that's awful!