The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Garbage Ape no Hihou
  • edited 2015-12-01 03:00:26

Garbage Ape no Hihou

Treasure of the Garbage Ape?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I dunno, I just think; "Did you get lost or something, buddy?"
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I figure he must've forgotten something
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thought: If Home Alone were made even ten years later than it was, it would have to be a period piece, because the widespread availability of mobile phones would topple the house of cards that is the movie's plot contrivances.
    Out of credit. Problem solved. :P
  • edited 2015-12-01 04:06:55
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The criminals cut the connection to the house and the kid's too young to have a mobile phone.

Problem solved.
    phone's out of power and they forgot the charger
  • everything ive heard about this movie has not endeared me to it
    it had a few amusing bits, from what I can remember
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    You just say that because it had a Kevin
  • things i know about this movie:

* he is home alone

* he beats burglars via ingenious traps

* everyone at Cracked dot com has their loved ones held hostage by whoever the fuck owns the IP, and if they dont write articles about the film on a regular basis they start getting tongues and fingers in the mail
    I actually found it slightly uncomfortable, at the time, that the main character's name is Kevin.
    This is also true of Back To The Future and the films of Christopher Nolan
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I feel kinda...sad.

Not enough to warrant posting in the problems thread, but like...distance is starting to get to me.

I feel lonely and I don't have my Anonus to comfort me and be my companion at night...
  • This is also true of Back To The Future and the films of Christopher Nolan

imagine the batman movies with ingenious traps and no adult supervision
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

* everyone at Cracked dot com has their loved ones held hostage by whoever the fuck owns the IP
    20th Century Fox, who are evil
  • Home Alone is one of those cultural touchstones that really does not deserve to be one.
    Jane said:

Home Alone is one of those cultural touchstones that really does not deserve to be one.

what else is one?
    also, a lot of early '90s popular entertainment seems that way, like Full House
  • edited 2015-12-01 04:28:18
    things I know about Home Alone:

1. it spawned two SNES games
    2. the first SNES game has a squirt gun that can disable some enemies for a short time.  other weapons are more powerful but have limited ammo.
    3. enemies may dash off the screen and swipe treasure if they see it within range.
    4. some enemies are smart enough not to step on tacks.
    5. treasure is themed on the level.  in the first level it's traditional precious-metal stuff like candelabra.  in later levels it becomes electronics or even animals.
    6. collect treasure and deposit in the safe drop on the first floor.
    7. some objects can be used to shake the ground and shake loose treasure that's too high to reach.
    8. after all available treasure has been collected, the door to the basement opens.
    9. in the basement, you can't use your weapons.  but you have to get past a passage of various obstacles played by creepy crawlies.
    10. the boss at the end of the basement is a giant creepy crawlie of some sort (e.g. giant spider), which you have to defeat by touching a block in the center of the screen to drop it on the enemy.  the more you hit it, the faster it gets.
    11. i may or may not have actually seen the movie.  actually i think i may have seen part of it.
  • Anonus said:

Jane said:

Home Alone is one of those cultural touchstones that really does not deserve to be one.

what else is one?
    Forrest Gump
    Aw
    there's a Genesis Home Alone game too, I played it, not very good

this has been a review
  • edited 2015-12-01 04:32:09
    I'd give the SNES Home Alone game a 3/5.

It works, as a game.

It's kinda frustrating to deal with though, at times.

I feel kinda...sad.

Not enough to warrant posting in the problems thread, but like...distance is starting to get to me.

I feel lonely and I don't have my Anonus to comfort me and be my companion at night...
    aww

Anonus said:

Jane said:

what else is one?
    Forrest Gump
    I admit, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I like the title character, but I've only seen the movie, and remember finding the film killing off his mother AND his wife to be, well, overkill
    remember Home Alone 2
  • Oh, and some of the music is arranged versions of music from Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker.
  • edited 2015-12-01 04:36:11
    for some reason I mentally confuse Forrest Gump and Good Will Hunting.

I also confuse the names Good Will Hunting and Happy Gilmore.  Like, when I want to name Happy Gilmore, I'll think of the name "Good Will Hunting".  I've actually seen all Happy Gilmore and probably also Good Will Hunting though, and I know they're different movies.

I don't think I've ever seen Forrest Gump.
  • Anonus said:

I feel kinda...sad.

aww

Anonus said:

Jane said:

what else is one?
    Forrest Gump
    I admit, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I like the title character, but I've only seen the movie, and remember finding the film killing off his mother AND his wife to be, well, overkill
    Hey, let's have last 50 years or so of American History, including some parts that are actually attributed to Black America, be centered around a dumb white guy 
    American history is centered around dumb white guys, yes?
    ooh, yeah :/
  • edited 2015-12-01 05:08:34
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    hello my name is jimmy pop and i'm a dumb white guy

also, jenny's entire character arc in Forrest Gump is pretty much "how can we kick the dog this time" every time she comes back into focus. :P she really deserved better and didn't get it.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • Anonus said:

I feel kinda...sad.

aww

Anonus said:

Jane said:

what else is one?
    Forrest Gump
    Hey, let's have last 50 years or so of American History, including some parts that are actually attributed to Black America, be centered around a dumb white guy 
    Forrest Gump being a white guy is actually the least problematic option
  • edited 2015-12-01 05:16:30

imagine the "dumb black guy bumbles his way through historical events" movie

or the "dumb woman bumbles her way through historical events" movie
    good point
  • now, I'm not meaning to imply that I like Forrest Gump here, but

My aesthetic.
    Jane said:

wait I've got another one

SPACE JAM, at least not in a way more than "lol look at this cheese"
    the fuck is a cultural touchstone anyway
  • the type of thing that becomes a meme, but in the real world

The first thing that came to mind as far as cultural touchstones that shouldn't be: Call of Duty

the fuck is a cultural touchstone anyway

You use it to scratch media to find out if it's a gold alloy.
    I dislike the concept of cultural touchstones, but probably because I just don't like most of them.
    People who weren't even born when FFX came out are now teenagers.
    People who weren't born are now alive!

Partly because of reincarnation.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

i will not do that

suffice to say, it was a thinkpiece about whether or not a piece of popular media is fascist, constructed mainly out of drawing some selective parallels between that media and well yeah you get the idea

this of course describes most thinkpieces
    is "the man in the high castle" fascist?  we discuss the differences between the book and the series in how they treat the japanese pacific states and canon city
    Anonus said:

Jane said:

wait I've got another one

SPACE JAM, at least not in a way more than "lol look at this cheese"
    space jam features a scene where bugs bunny and daffy duck complain about not seeing any money from their faces being on lunchboxes and shit while searching for the pants michael jordan wore at unc and that alone makes it Art
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    wait, fuck, does japanese militarism count as fascist?  i forget
  • imagine the "dumb black guy bumbles his way through historical events" movie

or the "dumb woman bumbles her way through historical events" movie

All media has to be problematic in some capacity

That said, I think either of those ideas could have been very interesting provided that a lot of effort was put into ensuring that they were sensitive.