The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    right

i agree with that :n
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

such an empty gesture mostly strikes me as insulting

like, i could understand it like in conjunction with giving a portion of site proceeds to some french charity

but seeing as we are not a commercial site

Basically my take.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Do we even know French people?
  • kill living beings
    i know of french people
  • edited 2015-11-15 06:42:16
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm agreed with both the French flag thing and the anti-brony thing.
    To be honest, the thing about the MLP fandom that bothered me most was how most of them didn't even seem to be cartoon nerds.
  • tbf the show itself is kinda naff
  • and by kinda naff i mean i had to physically force myself to watch it so i could understand what new fanart was about

and even then i had to skip bits

the fucking songs

fuck
  • dear diary

today I learned that I am the dregs of society

tbf the show itself is kinda naff

It's so pretty though

Also it gave a bunch of Hanna-Barbera/Cartoon Network alumni work
  • Jane said:

dear diary

today I learned that I am the dregs of society
    you at least gettin some looks askance from this here direction compadre
  • kill living beings
    what... is naff
  • Every self-identified "brony" I've ever spoken to has been a different variety of enormous asshole.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it's been enough to sour my perception of the community.
  • what... is naff

the helpful folks at the forever unerring Urban Dictionary say

British slang, today meaning uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless... or as a softer expletive, in places where one might use "fuck" as in "naff off", "naff all", "naffing about".

Origins of the word are disputed, but it appears to have come from Polari (gay slang), used to dismissively refer to heterosexual people. It was introduced as a less offensive expletive verb ("naff off") in the '70s UK television show, Porridge. "Naff off!" was famously used by Princess Anne in 1982.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    We're all such ridiculous people.
  • MachSpeed said:

We're all such ridiculous people.

speak for yourself i am a being of neigh infinite charm and grace

by which i mean i am a bumbling but much adored well meaning oaf IRL

which is better in some ways, it is a position much less likely to draw envy
  • and i am content with it
  • edited 2015-11-15 06:58:00
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Does anybody remember the time when we talked about how if there's a battle scene in a movie, they should pan out to like an RTS shot and show all the statistics and the strategy and everything?

I want to look for those posts again because that shit was ridiculous.
  • edited 2015-11-15 06:58:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    But yeah, let me list some of what I consider the pros and cons of MLP:FIM

Pros:
    • Made Tara Strong Internet-famous
    • Great design
    • Seems to be a show made by people who love old animation and pre-'80s pop culture, in an era where people who aren't wild about Looney Tunes and the other stuff I mentioned seem to be taking control
    Cons:
    • Overreliant on stock plots
    • Nasty corporate feeling subtly, but noticeably, present
    • Show's popularity forced Hasbro, a behind-the-times and media-unsavvy toy company, to half-pretend it was the opposite of those things
  • i'd be down with that
  • Jane said:

Every self-identified "brony" I've ever spoken to has been a different variety of enormous asshole.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it's been enough to sour my perception of the community.
    all the ones ive met irl have been nice people
    what about my list of traits though
    Tara Strong didn't need MLP.

Tara Strong is in fucking every other cartoon ever.
  • edited 2015-11-15 07:01:40
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Like Batman. Remember Batman?

Everyone loves Batman, except me, who just likes it somewhat, I loved Superman a lot more.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Jane said:

Every self-identified "brony" I've ever spoken to has been a different variety of enormous asshole.

I guess I'm an enormous asshole, then.

(Not that I'm that big on self-identifying myself as that anymore, but still...)
  • Jane said:

all the ones ive met irl have been nice people
    Differing experiences, I suppose.

It's just that, while I would never define myself as "anti-brony" or anything stupid like that (anyone who's "anti-anything" as their whole personality is a bore at the very least), I don't particularly have much sympathy for them when I see the community on the whole being picked on.

Which is not to say that it deserves to be, but does anyone really need to stick up for bronies? I don't really think so. They're not some kind of oppressed group, they just like a show a fair chunk of people think is bad.
  • if you replace "overly reliant on stock plots" with "every episode is a mask of parchment-esque flesh pulled taught over a meager and overused plot skeleton" then you're spot on
  • edited 2015-11-15 07:04:13
    We can do anything if we do it together.

if you replace "overly reliant on stock plots" with "every episode is a mask of parchment-esque flesh pulled taught over a meager and overused plot skeleton" then you're spot on

I don't really feel that way about MLP, even if some of the stock plots can be a mite obvious, but you do you.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the segments of the internet who were watching MLP in the first place knew who Tara Strong is.
  • if you replace "overly reliant on stock plots" with "every episode is a mask of parchment-esque flesh pulled taught over a meager and overused plot skeleton" then you're spot on

You're doing that thing where you use the most abrasive language possible to try to push peoples' buttons again.
    What's so great about the Looney Tunes, anyway? I guess they have displaced the things that they were referencing and parodying.
    MachSpeed said:

Like Batman. Remember Batman?

I figured that she at least got a bump from MLP's popularity

MachSpeed said:

What's so great about the Looney Tunes, anyway? I guess they have displaced the things that they were referencing and parodying.

They're not just references and parodies.
  • Jane said:

if you replace "overly reliant on stock plots" with "every episode is a mask of parchment-esque flesh pulled taught over a meager and overused plot skeleton" then you're spot on

You're doing that thing where you use the most abrasive language possible to try to push peoples' buttons again.
    well i dont really know of any other way to articulate my problems with this series
  • Jane said:

well i dont really know of any other way to articulate my problems with this series
    Consult a thesaurus.

Jane said:

again, you do you
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Goodbye.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

Consult a thesaurus.
    my vocabulary is sufficient i think.

Honestly, one of the reasons for that is that the show, for some reason, has every plot run the full half-hour.

It was originally going to use a two shorts format, and I don't know why it decided to completely eschew it.
    You want meager and overused plot skeletons, though? Watch Sabrina: The Animated Series.
    Every episode of that show feels like it's two hours long.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

Consult a thesaurus.
    my vocabulary is sufficient i think.
    oh come on
    Anonus said:

Honestly, one of the reasons for that is that the show, for some reason, has every plot run the full half-hour.

It was originally going to use a two shorts format, and I don't know why it decided to completely eschew it.
    I actually do think that might've been better for some episodes than what they ended up going with.
    I can name several off the top of my head that would've been better as shorts!
    Then again, there are certain episodes that feel rushed even within the 22-minute mark, so who knows, really?
  • condensing the episodes down to like 10 minutes would have helped the show be not as... strained

also, better writing generally

but of course it is a show for 6 year olds, so great writing would be... you'd rather have the writers putting their talents where they would be appreciated
    Little kids deserve shows with good writing, IMO.
  • i phrased my thoughts there rather poorly

i dont think that they deserve bad writing but i mean like

good writing for 6 year olds is not the same thing as good writing

like how a well written VCR manual is not Naked Lunch

they may both be admirable works of craftsmanship, but im not gonna sit down in an afternoon and sink into the finer points of coaxial cable adjustment
  • or like how The Wiggles aren't Yes
    That wouldn't be the point of asking for good writing from a show for 6-year-olds, though.