The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    At least a billion dollars

IPO = Initial public offering, when a private company's shares are sold on the public stock market
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

By all that is good and holy, it is hideous!

Was it the villain or the player character in the video game? Because I would play a game where you rid the world of that.

It was the protagonist.

I believe there was a Commodore 64 game where it was the villain though.
  • Odradek said:

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/482058593655877632 More and more, I think maybe Dawkins is just a time traveller from Colonial Britain, come to a time where public atheism is more acceptable.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    A billion!!!

Nobody needs more than one million to retire.

If you have a partner in your business, you can sell it for 2 million and retire.

What I would even do with a billion...

@Odradek Are either of the games fun? That's all that a certain type of game really needs.
    (2015 self)
    You are indeed cool, Jane.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am hot
  • Aliroz said:

Please don't cancel the live stream, Odra. Looking forward to it got me through this very long day. (I spent an hour stirring milk for the purpose of yogurt-making).

I don't understand the media debates, so they were never emotional to me. Just a bunch of words I didn't understand.

Aliroz, you can't just mention that you've been making yogurt and not tell us about the yogurt
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Female is Best Gender
    genderqueer is best gender
    (2015 self)
    Depends on the species.

Male lizards are usually bigger, but the reverse is true for most other reptiles.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Aliroz said:

A billion!!!

Nobody needs more than one million to retire.

If you have a partner in your business, you can sell it for 2 million and retire.

What I would even do with a billion...

@Odradek Are either of the games fun? That's all that a certain type of game really needs.

The NES one is decent.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Who here is a fan of Princess Alice?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh goodness. >_<

Look, nobody got owned.  It is not and was not my intention to participate in any ownage.  It's just, i've tried being indirect about this and it wasn't working, and i guess, yeah, i'm very sensitive, and sorry if i made you feel bad. :(

i get that this is about people who marathon seasons of things that they don't like.  Which is . . . kind of my default way to approach media, honestly. ^_^;  Of course i don't make it a rule that i'm going to see every Transformers movie or anything like that, having seen 2 (both because my friends were going) i've formed my opinion and it was not positive.  But if i restricted myself to stuff that i felt good about reading or watching i don't think i'd get to experience much at all.  i DO have completionist tendencies.  i AM intending to reread Heart of Darkness for the third time because the first 2 times i just didn't get anything out of it and that makes me feel stupid and shallow.  JM Coetzee's "Disgrace" has been on my to-read list for a while because it's the only Coetzee my dad has and he's lent me it, and i'm therefore hesitant to remove it from the list!

But besides all that i just *like* things that fit together and make sense on a literal level, and i *like* worldbuilding and the escapism it facilitates, and i *don't* understand what intrinsic magical quality makes something Content as opposed to fiction but these are the closest i've gotten to answers and apparently they're some terrible math nerd thing.

And i really am not saying this as an attack on anyone here because this has been an ongoing thing for me for a while; it was a difficulty i hit on the Eng Lit course i took, it's something i've argued about with Doctor Who fans in the past, and it intersects i think with the whole two cultures STEM v humanities thing that i get irrationally worked up about.  And if it was just the occasional remark about people who insist on watching every Marvel movie despite hating them, i wouldn't have said anything!  But @Odradek, you talk about this *daily*, and the people you're talking about aren't even here but it's always "this is YOU" and it's me and i know it.  And that's it really, regardless of how i'm supposed to feel, i know you weren't trying to upset anyone here but it's still ME.  i'm literal, i know i'm literal, i'm not like you or all the other heapers who have this vast understanding of art and culture and aesthetics, i tried to give all the theory and the poetry my best and i think i started to develop something of an appreciation for it but the truth is i was really bad at that course, just like i am at everything else, and i want to create things that are beautiful but right now all i can do is, well, consume.
    I'm sorry :(
  • i'm not like you or all the other heapers who have this vast understanding of art and culture and aesthetics,

ok regardless of anything else this describes like no one here except maybe Sredni.

the reason it seems like it does is that we are all into different things and fields always look larger when you're not involved in them.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

i'm not like you or all the other heapers who have this vast understanding of art and culture and aesthetics,

ok regardless of anything else this describes like no one here except maybe Sredni.

the reason it seems like it does is that we are all into different things and fields always look larger when you're not involved in them.
    And Sunn Wolf!
    Impolex G? At least spell it right, dorkwad.

Points for using one of Zak Smith's illustrations, though
    dammit

it's alright, it's not your fault

i'm just trying to explain, this is a thing with *me*, it's not about anyone here, or at least not *personally*
  • Odradek said:

i'm not like you or all the other heapers who have this vast understanding of art and culture and aesthetics,

And Sunn Wolf!
    and Sunn Wolf yes.

That's still only 2 people out of like however many.
    i mean yes, it's the stuff you're saying, but it's not your fault for saying it, i was like this beforehand
    Odradek said:

And Sunn Wolf!
    ...and Steven!
    (2015 self)

Who here is a fan of Princess Alice?

I am.

Oooh, I just got an NES emulator and am enjoy SUper Metroid.

@Yarrun: It will be edible tomorrow.  ONe gallon of milk, one rubber paddle-spatula-cream-scraper-thing (the red one).  One hour of stirring, the last 45 minutes on the last 45 degrees.  Started with 50 degree fahrenheit milk, got to 180.  Dunno what flavor it will be, but we always have a big party on the third of july (that's when my valley celebrates the Fourth of July; that way, people can go to bigger fireworks shows out in the not-here).  Everyone from both sides of my family comes, except not in the last three years because dunno why, guess they like missing out on awesome things.  Like this awesome yogurt that my mom will definitely put little cracker bits in her cup.
    and naney

Klino knows lots
    and my axe
    Aliroz said:

Oooh, I just got an NES emulator and am enjoy SUper Metroid.

one of my favorites!
    Section and Miss Utilis and others all have an understanding of stuff that i don't through sheer attention to detail and investment in the production process
  • Odradek said:

And Sunn Wolf!
    ...and Steven!

and my axe

not to mention a duck
    i just wanted to have a proper dialogue about this, and instead it just kept coming back to some dumb thing that happened in comics, so i thought it best to be up front about how i actually feel about all this
    (2015 self)
    I am also enjoying LInk To The Past and wonder why I never played it before.  Kex was right about the Zelda games, they're fantastic!  Which of the 3d ones can I start wit?

Also, I have Yoshi's Island and Zombies ATe My Neighbors.
    Get Super Mario Kart and you will be set for life.
  • @Ali: Typically, one starts with Ocarina of Time, then moves on to Majora's Mask, then Windwaker, then Twilight Princess.

I think you'll like Majora's Mask.
    Aliroz said:

I am also enjoying LInk To The Past and wonder why I never played it before.  Kex was right about the Zelda games, they're fantastic!  Which of the 3d ones can I start wit?

Also, I have Yoshi's Island and Zombies ATe My Neighbors.
    Ocarina of Time is a good one.

Majora's Mask is also a good one, in a diffent way.

Wind Waker is also great.
    (2015 self)
    It's a flashdrive emulator my friend gave me, I don't know how to get more games on it.  Besides, I'm not set video-game wise until I've played Kingdom Hearts (not on the SNES, but still something I think I would enjoy).
  • edited 2015-07-03 00:29:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Ocarina / Majora's Mask / Wind Waker, got it.

Are any of them on the DS or Wii?  Only consoles I have...
  • Aliroz said:

It's a flashdrive emulator my friend gave me, I don't know how to get more games on it.  Besides, I'm not set video-game wise until I've played Kingdom Hearts (not on the SNES, but still something I think I would enjoy).

cor, have you not tried it yet?

you should grab some cousins to sit with you as you play it. with KH3 coming out...presently, kids need to know about where the game began.

Besides, the first one was the best one anyways.
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

And also I played a link to the past yesterday and got to the end of the second dungeon.  Zelda games are really fun!  Why did nobody tell me of this?

I love Link To The Past.

Did you discover the grove with the flute player? That's my favorite bit in the early game.
    Also
  • so who do I have to pay to get RockPaperShotgun to stop describing every game as a [something]-em-up

The joke was funny like twice but they do it in every article.
  • edited 2015-07-03 00:31:25
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

cor, have you not tried it yet?

you should grab some cousins to sit with you as you play it. with KH3 coming out...presently, kids need to know about where the game began.

Besides, the first one was the best one anyways.
    Nope.  I'm not buying/playing it until you read Mistborn. (Also I don't have it, and I only get videogames for christmas, not birthday.)
    flute kid is awesomely cool
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon, at this rate you're going to end up listing virtually everyone for everything, it seems like, to me. I just mean, Jane is right about how much larger fields look when you're not in them. Well, and there are other comments I want to make except I'm in no place to make them right now, heh.
  • Aliroz said:

Ocarina / Majora's Mask / Wind Waker, got it.

Are any of them on the DS or Wii?  Only consoles I have...
    Should be. I know they've all been rereleased in the last decade, so probably
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

And also I played a link to the past yesterday and got to the end of the second dungeon.  Zelda games are really fun!  Why did nobody tell me of this?

I love Link To The Past.

Did you discover the grove with the flute player? That's my favorite bit in the early game.
    Also
    Nope, did not find Flute kid.  Gt to the end of the third dungeon, though.
    Crystal said:

Tachyon, at this rate you're going to end up listing virtually everyone for everything, it seems like, to me. I just mean, Jane is right about how much larger fields look when you're not in them. Well, and there are other comments I want to make except I'm in no place to make them right now, heh.

No, i'm done.
    i get Jane's point.