The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    unrelated to conversation at hand

reminder that i prefer gender neutral pronouns

i can understand when people forget but it somehow never feels like the right time to say anything
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I will remember that.
    Thanks.
  • Odradek said:

that blurb is awful
  • ill relish your damsels m8
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    sunn wolf said:

Odradek said:

that blurb is awful

quote:

‘This was a world known by so many names in aeons past, whose indigenous life intelligence had evolved through millions of years; through epochs of profound science and technology, through an age when they had mastered space travel; ventured to the far stars and had brought back many alien things. Super minerals and materials, life forms of numerous kinds; thus had created a world of time resilient synthetics; a world of hybrids, of humans; a mixture of countless breeds gone wild.’

quote:

He had heard of the great immortal city; the citadel of mystery and foreboding. It was the fabulous infamous city all outsiders feared to enter. Yet the bold wayfarer became obsessed by its existence, thus he sought to find it. On his far journeys he would confront all evil obstacles, encounter the wizards of science, the wondrous characters; wild and weird communities. He visited the inns and taverns, braved the deep forests, and he relished the damsels. But he knew he must one day find and behold the phenomenon; thence brazenly enter into the citadel of Bilbabalbabul.

quote:

He climbed the hill for to get a better vista

quote:

Thus I reassert you; my house, my ladies, viands and refreshments are yours

quote:

You have style in your mode

quote:

And one room in his grange was said to be filled with a great jumble of curios, antiques, preserved ancient books of wizardry, incantations, and tales of bygone aeons, and everything.

quote:

Gyral was ever vigil with shifty eyes, hand ready with sword. He then heard voices again and saw something shifting among further Orcle trunks. He just kept walking until he came to a clearing. And nothing happened.

quote:

A couple of pigmy beings then came out from a hut, hobbling in that odd swaying simian manner. In fact they looked like pigmy simians.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ugh, my ISP is so bad. Been getting <1 mbps downstream for 3 days straight now.
  • fucking lmao

is this book for real
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Whoever came up with "9-5 tech support, closed on weekends" was some kind of evil genius.
    This pisses me off and I don't know why

LuYTe.jpg
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the Dreamworks face pisses me off, generally
    Well yes the Dreamworks face is terrible.

But still
  • I always have style in my mode
    going by the examples given, that image was made at a time when Pixar were better than they are now, and DWA were worse
    also that Antz and Shrek really didn't deserve to be lumped in with Bee Movie
  • yeah bee movie deserves better
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I had a dream where I was my princess self but I was also the CEO of some kind of toy company??

And I went into our warehouse and it had offices attached and I wat trying to hold a meeting but there were executives sitting at my desk and I was like "ugh, there are executives at my desk again" and they were like "sorry your highness, we'll move" and I was like "no, it's ok, stay where you are"
    naney said:

yeah bee movie deserves better

oi
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    xkcd doesn't update right at midnight anymore and this bugs me

xkcd doesn't update right at midnight anymore and this bugs me

yesquote
    This is my favorite shitty artistically bankrupt example of Dreamworks face

cars-2-poster-globe.jpg
    Shrek was a good children's movie at the time when it came out

i will stand by this opinion
    Odradek said:

This is my favorite shitty artistically bankrupt example of Dreamworks face

cars-2-poster-globe.jpg
    well played
    Kung-Fu Panda is pretty good too.

There were many critics of the moral of the film made by people, who, I assume, used to post in the now-dead subreddit /r/fatpeoplehate
    i never saw it

i heard good things, and not so good things
    i never saw it

i heard good things, and not so good things

• Most of DreamWorks is pretty good but not terribly memorable, but Pixar is consistently great with, uh, exceptions.
    from Kung-Fu Panda, to an anecdote about Niels Bohr, to Santa Claus, wow

guy's nothing if not wide-ranging in his examples
    Pixar always got bonus points in my book for managing to make Wall-E a film with an environmental message that (a) didn't feel hypocritical (lookin' at you 2012 Lorax) and (b) didn't feel like they were hitting you over the head with the message like a rusty shovel
    Kexruct said:

Most of DreamWorks is pretty good but not terribly memorable, but Pixar is consistently great with, uh, exceptions.

This is accurate, in my experience.
    With the caveat that DWA's lows are very low indeed
    Wall-E is a fairly strong candidate for my favourite movie, without qualifiers
    Happy Feet is a movie about how religion is a lie and global warming is real.
    Tachyon said:
    I don't know if I've mentioned it before outside of IRC but Crystal and I worked @avenue_ebooks into Centralia as a robot version of Princess Alice who exists because...uh, why not?
  • if I say meow enough times I can be a real kitty
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Maybe I'm misremembering, but my reasoning was "The Princess tried and failed, hard, to create working living dolls like her Handler." Well, technically speaking she succeeded, but Robot Princess Alice is even more ridick than who she's based off of.
    Crystal said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but my reasoning was "The Princess tried and failed, hard, to create working living dolls like her Handler." Well, technically speaking she succeeded, but Robot Princess Alice is even more ridick than who she's based off of.

...I do remember that now.

It says something that Centralia's gotten so convoluted that I can't always remember the explanations we came up with for stuff. :v
    Heh. That you're sometimes forgetful and I like untangling stuff (and Centralia is amusingly convoluted)?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Maya The Bee Movie is a good movie.

It is just too innocent and straightforward for a post-sixties world of scorn and sarcasm.

And Maya never caught on in America, and there was little advertising.

Anyone else see it?
    Okay, so.

I realize how "Content™" fills a sort of lexical gap, and has its uses insofar as we're all on the same page about relatively meaningless and/or formulaic and/or pandering media, which doesn't end up bringing much if anything to the table and a whole lot of other descriptions I could apply. Nonetheless, could we please try to use a phrasing that isn't like the stuff we're criticizing, please? All the talk of Content this, Content that, Content is XYZ, Content Content Content, all really doesn't cut to the case of issues a number of us seem to have. 

Perhaps this is me just complaining about semantics because I'm not in the best mood, and I took issue with this before it became some thing here, but I wanted to add my seven cents.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Besides, I like a movie without a single snarky quip, pop-culture reference, or fourth-wall-break.

No "attitude", or anything hip or cool. Just a less interesting retelling of a retelling (1970's anime) of a watered down retelling (German comic adaptation) of a storybook from the 1910's.

It is like cornflakes-sans-milk, predictable, familiar, tasteless, and charming in its blandness.
  • My favourite Pixar film is Ratatouille, which I can now spell without having to look it up. Go me.

I like it because the atmosphere is amazing, and the ending gave me warm and fuzzy feelings.

My favourite Dreamworks film is HTDYD 2, because dragons. All the fucking dragons.