The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

Of course i'm not out to defend the excesses of superhero comics.

i feel like when i visit this site lately i get like this constant barrage of snide posts about "Content consumption" which broadly condemns all genre fiction, comic books, theme parks, worldbuilding, video games, the whole spectrum of what i guess you could call geek entertainment, and if i seem defensive it's because frankly it makes me feel like shit.

It makes me feel like i am a horrible, petty, small-minded nerd, with no concept of art or wonder, and that i can never even hope to create anything worthwhile because my own conceptions of what is enjoyable are fundamentally, irrevocably wrong.

I don't aim to make anyone feel like that, ever, and I don't want to.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Computeristic Cataclysm.
    Computeristic Cataclysm.
    The Robot Rapture?
    The Electronic Eschaton.

• Then be a bit more considerate with how you talk about media.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm sorry.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I also get snippy whenever Myr complains about mass media.
  • see this is the problem I was talking about earlier

we never move beyond snide comments so we get hurt feelings on all sides because no one bothers explaining themselves.
    Jurassic World hit pretty close to home for me because the sight of happy tourists suddenly being attacked and maimed and killed in this nightmarish disaster, and the implication that they brought this upon themselves with their constant demands for MORE FUN, just seemed so horrible to me.

Because i loved the spectacle, i ate it all up.
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

Why do you think he chose to do the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Klino?

It WAS his nerd desires.

IT just wasn't S***.

yeah but he used that energy to make an actual design.
  • edited 2015-07-02 19:25:00
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I still say that's exaggerating and conflating some folks with the entirety of HH, which bothers me. If only because that's something I try to actively avoid and being lumped in irks me. Really I'm not fond of generalizations in general, which happens not infrequently here, in my experience, including folks like myself.
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

Of course i'm not out to defend the excesses of superhero comics.

i feel like when i visit this site lately i get like this constant barrage of snide posts about "Content consumption" which broadly condemns all genre fiction, comic books, theme parks, worldbuilding, video games, the whole spectrum of what i guess you could call geek entertainment, and if i seem defensive it's because frankly it makes me feel like shit.

It makes me feel like i am a horrible, petty, small-minded nerd, with no concept of art or wonder, and that i can never even hope to create anything worthwhile because my own conceptions of what is enjoyable are fundamentally, irrevocably wrong.

I don't aim to make anyone feel like that, ever, and I don't want to.
    Also i should note right now that it's not just you doing it, it's just that you talk about it a lot.
  • kill living beings
    hey this thread has 3141something comments. pi. baller.
    PIE PARTY
  • edited 2015-07-02 19:28:57
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I don't even know what Myrm means by "Content consumption".

For a while, I thought he was talking about fast food, based on his animal video.  Or at least a metaphor comparing DIsney to Fast Food.

-obliviroz
  • edited 2015-07-02 20:15:12
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    This is the most miserable party pie i have ever seen how dare you

(mod edit: image or host was triggering anti-virus alerts; moved to dedicated image host)

i can sleep now

the hell is over

@MachSpeed my antivirus doesn't like whatever that is you just posted

good night, if you're going to sleep
  • kill living beings
    God damn no wonder presenters hold questions until the end
  • @machspeed avast gives a warning on that image just fyi
    Maybe a mod should just edit it out, because I think he's asleep.
    Embedded image permalink
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    How sad.
    Meme began as a bullshit pseudoscience term, then became a term for an internet running joke, and now it's starting to just mean image macro
  • I'm now thinking of the Touhouverse and how canon only exists when you're trying to follow it, and how that kind of slapdash approach to worldbuilding has opened up a much richer world of fan creation.

I'm also thinking of the Critic's review of Quest for Camelot, and how most of his gripes with the movie boil down to "not enough worldbuilding". And while the movie (which I did own and have watched a good number of times) does have its flaws, I never felt it had to explain the magic in the movie. It's fantasy magic. what do you want from it?
  • Odradek said:

Meme began as a bullshit pseudoscience term, then became a term for an internet running joke, and now it's starting to just mean image macro

I'd say the second definition is the generally understood (and IMO, the "real") one and the greater public has sort of conflated it into the third one, albeit unintentionally.

It's like how the concept of comedy went from being a work that the Greek defined as consisting of an amusing conflict between two opposing sides to merely being a work that incites amusement.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-07-02 19:58:58
    Or how the term "hella" expanded from being a Californian synonym for "really" into being a unique interjection and adjective of its own.

Evolutionary etymology is truly scintillating.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Odradek said:

What was the source for this? I'm guessing it's something published by Evangelicals, because they're calling so much stuff evil...
  • edited 2015-07-02 20:15:45
    @MachSpeed: Your image of party pies is apparently triggering some anti-virus flags.  Can you please rehost it on a dedicated image host?

Edit: never mind, i'm doing it myself.

Edit: Done.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

Embedded image permalink

fuck yes I will be there!

This is actually not that bad. It's clearly pretty ancient -- Interrupt's been dead for a decade now -- and it tries to translate white and black as good and evil, which is reductionist at best, but not bad.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Crystal said:

I still say that's exaggerating and conflating some folks with the entirety of HH, which bothers me. If only because that's something I try to actively avoid and being lumped in irks me. Really I'm not fond of generalizations in general, which happens not infrequently here, in my experience, including folks like myself.

To be fair to Jane, what she said is pretty much what happened to me due to the RLM discussions that happen on here from time to time.

I won't be badgering on that anymore now that I've finally cleared the air there, but I hope you get what I mean.
    In the same turn, you still actually bothered to make those comments, even if yeah there was beating around the bush on both sides, and whatnot. It just strikes me as unfair to folks like myself, Zia, Tach, and others, that largely or entirely don't bother with that nonsense. I'm not saying it's not a thing, mind, I've got my own issues with the standard (?) discourse here overall.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    To be fair, it did take me an entire year to get around to actually properly stating my thoughts to Myr about the topic.

Then again, a huge part of that was because of the fear I developed in my head that I was wrong in being in the minority on here about that and other issues.

I'm slowly getting over that fear now, but it was pretty bad in late 2014/early 2015.
    Well, sure, right, then I shouldn't really count you there if I'm going to list such people. Although, honestly, I'm not quite sure how that makes me wrong or what have you. It seems mildly tangential since I'm talking generally, personally, heh.
    I am feeling very owned right now
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

I am feeling very owned right now

I will never own anybody, and nobody will ever own me
  • edited 2015-07-02 21:23:06
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Crystal said:

Well, sure, right, then I shouldn't really count you there if I'm going to list such people. Although, honestly, I'm not quite sure how that makes me wrong or what have you. It seems mildly tangential since I'm talking generally, personally, heh.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say you were wrong.

I was just taking the opportunity to explain the outburst from yesterday a bit more, and also more fully explain my "outsider/devil's advocate" bitching that I sometimes engage in on here.
  • surely the most splendid of all feelings =w=
    slavery
    naney said:

surely the most splendid of all feelings =w=

I am feeling very owned right now and not in the fun way.
    indentured servants
    Iggy Azalea's real name is Amethyst Kelly.

She really does not need a stage name.
    I don't think Doug actually understands movies or TV.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

Iggy Azalea's real name is Amethyst Kelly.

She really does not need a stage name.
    her real name is a better stage name than her stage name
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    On the other hand, at least she's not ruining the name of a Steven Universe character this way!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Lauren Faust apparently worked on Quest for Camelot

Yeah, she was an animator on it
    I liked Quest for Camelot a lot as a kid.

But I also liked the Black Cauldron a lot, and eh.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I think she might have met Craig McCracken by way of the short-lived fusion dance between Warner Bros. Animation and Hanna-Barbera (where Craig worked)