The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    RLM is clearly worse, which is why i never bother with it
    i have never once regretted reading a chef and waiterman post, however

• That sucks on toast

What's the point of having Doctor Doom if you dress him up like a normal person.

Next you'll be telling me that his ego's only slightly inflated, and that he doesn't refer to himself in the third person
    Odradek said:

This is your reminder that Doctor Doom doesn't deserve to be shackled to the Fantastic Four

He's a tech billionaire now.

I would say this is is dumb, but as the Dark Enlightenment has shown us, tech billionaries are the new autocratic god kings.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    who still even works for tgwtg
    i never saw guardians of the galaxy, but i appreciate that it didn't look as though it was pretending to be something serious and adult
  • edited 2015-07-01 22:54:55
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

i never saw guardians of the galaxy, but i appreciate that it didn't look as though it was pretending to be something serious and adult

I'm most definitely agreed with you.

If Content has to exist, I'd rather it just be fun rather than try to act more meaningful than we know it really is.
  • Odradek said:

Blockbuster Buster

I was so glad when the Critic reviewed the Cat in the Hat, because once the Critic reviews it, all other reviews are beholden to his, and that means that BB's hackneyed attempt is practically null and void
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

not Phelous!

I get the feeling Lee and I are the only Phelous fans on HH, but come on, who doesn't like watching a grown man make fun of poorly made knockoff toys??
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Calica said:

not Phelous!

I get the feeling Lee and I are the only Phelous fans on HH, but come on, who doesn't like watching a grown man make fun of poorly made knockoff toys??
    Ashens > Phelous
    i am still slightly resentful of the word "Content" with a capital C because i don't really get or care why it's bad and why it's apparently not possible to enjoy it sincerely
    Ashens was the first internet-critic-y person i ever saw videos by

what i have seen was entertaining
    Tachyon said:

i am still slightly resentful of the word "Content" with a capital C because i don't really get or care why it's bad and why it's apparently not possible to enjoy it sincerely

I don't want to think about people enjoying the scenes of Look At How Wrong Uptight Business Lady Is For Being An Uptight Business Lady, tbh
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Calica said:

not Phelous!

Ashens > Phelous
    Not gonna argue with that

But Bootleg Zones is amusing enough when I'm bored at work :V
  • edited 2015-07-01 23:02:29
    Tachyon said:

I'm only using it like that because, at this point, it's the term around here that most readily describes what we talk about in conversations like this.

I don't fully agree with Myr's fetishism about this topic, FWIW.
    or Uptight Business Lady randomly kissing Chris Pratt for as far as I can tell literally no reason
    the parts with dinosaurs eating people were okay though
    i didn't see anything wrong with Claire and it was an odd experience because i felt like i was watching a movie that was very much at odds with me, that was wanting me to like characters when they did douchy things and wanting me to dislike them when they did reasonable things

i'm not sure whether the fact that i enjoyed the movie overall despite hating the male lead is a testament to how well-made and effective the movie was, or if i just really like dinosaurs
    actually superhero movies are becoming for me what stupid posts on tumblr were at one point

as in, i never liked them to begin with, i don't actively seek them out, but through sheer overexposure in the form of people complaining about them, i'm starting to outright despise them
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've never gone apeshit over dinosaurs like a lot of people do, tbh
    Tachyon said:

actually superhero movies are becoming for me what stupid posts on tumblr were at one point

as in, i never liked them to begin with, i don't actively seek them out, but through sheer overexposure in the form of people complaining about them, i'm starting to outright despise them

FWIW, I've felt the same way about them for a while now.

Once again, I am sorry for upsetting you with my use of Capital-C Content. I've been trying to watch my language to be less snide lately, but things still slip out when I'm not really thinking about it.
    No, it's OK.  You're far from the only person who uses that word.

Ever since i was little, i thought dinosaurs were beautiful and magnificent and scary.  i always liked the fact that they were real animals, not just monsters.

i would guess that my childhood coincided with an abundance of dinosaur-related children's literature sparked by the original Jurassic Park, which probably played a factor there.
    jurassic pork
    the reason all the dinosaurs in jurassic park went berserk is because they genetically modified out the feathers
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Calica said:

not Phelous!

I keep meaning to watch him, but there's so much continuity.

I do like Lupa quite a lot.
    Also I thought Chris Pratt's character in Jurassic Park was fine, and was speaking sense.
    i didn't dislike him up until that scene where Claire came to retrieve him to inspect the indominus' cage and he just seemed like such an utter unprofessional dudebro jackass

like i would have assumed i was supposed to dislike him at that point were it not for the fact that he'd heroically saved someone from a raptor in a previous scene

well, that and nobody who's good with animals is going to be a bad guy, it's the law
    watching the football rn
    An illustration of my problem with Red Letter Media: back during Oscar season, they did a video on Boyhood, which they didn't like, and created a running joke of yelling "IT TOOK TWELVE YEARS TO MAKE" to make fun of people who did. 

During the Oscars, my twitter feed was so completely swamped by people shouting that every time Boyhood came up that I had to mute several people.

Now I want to note that people did not link Red Letter Media's video as an insightful critique of Boyhood, or summarize its points. They just shouted this meme, which is, out of context, dumb, because taking twelve years to make a movie is genuinely kind of impressive. Red Letter Media served the function of shutting debate down, rather than opening up debate and providing a good voice in a conversation.

And yet, people insist that Red Letter Media is amazing film criticism, and belongs in a museum, when all they currently do as far as I can tell is create dumb memes and glorify the Hollywood zeigeist.
    Tachyon said:

watching the football rn

:P
    also I didn't know the twelve years thing was a meme from RLM
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Calica said:

Tachyon said:

watching the football rn

:P
    No they meant football

I have no idea why Americans think calling football by its name sounds dumb when our own football barely involves the ball being touched with the feet
    The most irritating thing is that Kyle Kahlghren does the "internet reviewer teaches you about film" thing way better, but he doesn't have the huge fandom because he doesn't pretend to be an elderly rapist for the internet or what the fuck ever.
  • edited 2015-07-01 23:39:48
    Well, I’m gonna try to argue this. I will probably regret it, but what the hell? I’m in a decent enough mood for it today.

I’ve only seen the Plinkett vids from RLM so far, so I don’t know what in specific they said about
    Boyhood, but from what I’ve heard about Boyhood, that film is decisively not for me. I got kinda annoyed at the Oscars when people were shitting on Birdman, which seems more interesting to me, just because it had a chance of beating their beloved Boyhood.

I will also say that saying that Boyhood took twelve years is a very good way to shut down criticism of it, because if you look at it from that angle, it is rather difficult to dismiss the achievement that Linklater made there. In turn, it becomes difficult to observe how the film actually works as a film.

It’s even emblazoned on the poster, for crying out loud.

If Red Letter Media used the “12 years” thing in a way that tried to take that away from the film, and hence, allowed it to be seen as a film instead of just blankly praising Linklater for his achievement, I can completely understand it. It’s not their fault that their followers misunderstood the point of that.
    Well, I’m gonna try to argue this. I will probably regret it, but what the hell? I’m in a decent enough mood for it today.

I’ve only seen the Plinkett vids from RLM so far, so I don’t know what in specific they said about
    Boyhood, but from what I’ve heard about Boyhood, that film is decisively not for me. I got kinda annoyed at the Oscars when people were shitting on Birdman, which seems more interesting to me, just because it had a chance of beating their beloved Boyhood.

I will also say that saying that Boyhood took twelve years is a very good way to shut down criticism of it, because if you look at it from that angle, it is rather difficult to dismiss the achievement that Linklater made there. In turn, it becomes difficult to observe how the film actually works as a film.

If Red Letter Media used the “12 years” thing in a way that tried to take that away from the film, and hence, allowed it to be seen as a film instead of just blankly praising Linklater for his achievement, I can completely understand it. It’s not their fault that their followers misunderstood the point of that.
    Birdman won the Oscar though?
    I wanna do something "computery", but I'm not sure what I mean by that
  • edited 2015-07-01 23:48:43
    Odradek said:

I’ve only seen the Plinkett vids from RLM so far, so I don’t know what in specific they said about Boyhood, but from what I’ve heard about Boyhood, that film is decisively not for me. I got kinda annoyed at the Oscars when people were shitting on Birdman, which seems more interesting to me, just because it had a chance of beating their beloved Boyhood.

It did, but people still shat on Birdman for doing so instead of Boyhood, at a fiercer rate than people defended it.
    I would like RLM if their fans weren't drooling idiots who are the type to spam a thread with out of context transphobic slurs in order to get back at the evil SJWs who don't like the show.
    Odradek said:

I would like RLM if their fans weren't drooling idiots who are the type to spam a thread with out of context transphobic slurs in order to get back at the evil SJWs who don't like the show.

Like seriously, they did that.
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

I'm not doing that, though, and I don't want to be held accountable for their actions.

Odradek said:

I’ve only seen the Plinkett vids from RLM so far, so I don’t know what in specific they said about Boyhood, but from what I’ve heard about Boyhood, that film is decisively not for me. I got kinda annoyed at the Oscars when people were shitting on Birdman, which seems more interesting to me, just because it had a chance of beating their beloved Boyhood.

It did, but people still shat on Birdman for doing so instead of Boyhood, at a fiercer rate than people defended it.
    when's the last time people actually liked a best picture winner the most out of the films nominated
    i meant what i said, and i meant soccer. :)

i am not consistent on what i call that sport on this forum, i'm aware.

Kyle Kahlghren is all right.
  • edited 2015-07-01 23:54:09
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    *invites all of you to Princess Alice's Super Awesome Pop Star Concert, held in the auditorium in the lower level of my palace*

Odradek said:

Odradek said:

I'm not doing that, though, and I don't want to be held accountable for their actions.
    yes
  • edited 2015-07-01 23:55:02
    Calica said:

Odradek said:

when's the last time people actually liked a best picture winner the most out of the films nominated
    Yeah, that’s true.

I’m mostly just upset at the idea that, if you’re not interested in Boyhood, then you’re a lesser person for it.

I guess that’s what Myr has been trying to say about RLM, too, so I can understand his viewpoint there. At the beginning, I said it was fine if he didn’t like it, but instead he just spat back venom at me.

That's a huge part of why I've been so pissy about this topic. It's fine if he doesn't like them, but I don't want to be thought of as a monster for liking them myself just because of some bad experiences he had with RLM fans on Something Awful.
    ...what is the difference between an auditorium and a theater?
    the theatre is the building, the auditorium is where the audience sits

in theory, anyway; in practice the terms are often treated as interchangeable

Calica said:

Odradek said:

Yeah, that’s true.

I’m mostly just upset at the idea that, if you’re not interested in Boyhood, then you’re a lesser person for it.

I guess that’s what Myr has been trying to say about RLM, too, so I can understand his viewpoint there. At the beginning, I said it was fine if he didn’t like it, but instead he just spat back venom at me.

That's a huge part of why I've been so pissy about this topic. It's fine if he doesn't like them, but I don't want to be thought of as a monster for liking them myself just because of some bad experiences he had with RLM fans on Something Awful.
    I am sorry, that was very mean of me, and it's not a good thing to do.
    I'm starting to worry that fantasizing about my palace as this impossibly large building that has a little bit of everything means I'm bad

Like, I dunno, every time I think "it would be cool to have X" I just add it to my palace and at this point I'm not even sure a building like this could feasibly exist