The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

While I hesitate to use the former, the latter is something I wouldn't have such reservations to say. It really is everything that is wrong with criticism.I don't get bent out of shape about it but it really is a bad thing.

Sure if it was presenting itself as criticism.

Which it isn't, anymore than MST3K is.
  • Tachyon said:

How can it be everything that's wrong with criticism?  It barely qualifies as criticism at all.

Exactly. It's just pedantry. There's no discussion.
    Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

How can it be everything that's wrong with criticism?  It barely qualifies as criticism at all.

That's the point.
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

While I hesitate to use the former, the latter is something I wouldn't have such reservations to say. It really is everything that is wrong with criticism.I don't get bent out of shape about it but it really is a bad thing.

There certainly is some pretense, though. And MST3K at least targets bad movies that don't really leave any room for discussion, so any pedantry on their part isn't a huge deal. Cinema Sins specifically targets good, popular movies, and with titles like "Everything wrong with x," well, clearly they take themselves a BIT seriously. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Wait, is Red Letter Media the one with the creepy old guy reviewing Star Wars?
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

That's the point.
    Then the point is bullshit, plain and simple.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

That's the point.
    Then the point is bullshit, plain and simple.
    Agreed.

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Aliroz said:

Yeah, it is.

He's not as bad as Myrm's making him out to be, although I can understand not being into the off-colour humour he uses.
  • I have had far less problems with Windows 8 than I ever did with 7.

For one thing, none of the Windows 8 updates I've installed have bricked my laptop.
  • I'm just gonna say that I had literally not ever heard of Cinema Sins before this discussion started so if they're trying to ruin film criticism they need to get a better social media presence.
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

There certainly is some pretense, though. And MST3K at least targets bad movies that don't really leave any room for discussion, so any pedantry on their part isn't a huge deal. Cinema Sins specifically targets good, popular movies, and with titles like "Everything wrong with x," well, clearly they take themselves a BIT seriously. 
    MST3K is watching a movie and finding funny things to say over it. Criticism can enter into it, but it's not the main point.

Cinema Sins is pointing out gaffes, plot holes, and continuity errors in movies. This is fun for some people. It's fine. No one thinks Jurassic Park is a bad movie because of Cinema Sins. I would rather have a universe where people know that a boom mic appeared in a shot in Birdemic than a world where people think Terrence Malick is a hack because he bored Brad Jones, or a world where people think an old man masturbating to underage girls while rambling about Star Wars is the height of criticism.
  • edited 2014-06-14 13:47:11
    My dreams exceed my real life

Aliroz said:

Yeah, it is.

He's not as bad as Myrm's making him out to be, although I can understand not being into the off-colour humour he uses.
    You know what's funny? Violence against women. This is a barrel of laughs.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Pedantry can be funny.  Pedants are allowed their fun.
  • It's not just the pedantry; the pretense really sinks it though.
    Kexruct said:

It's not just the pedantry; the pretense really sinks it though.

That would be fine if there were any
  •  a world where people think Terrence Malick is a hack because he bored Brad Jones
    who is brad jones

do i want to know
  • But again, with something like MST3K, they weren't trying to pick on big, popular, good movies. They were starting from a baseline of "This movie isn't good anyway, so why should we care to dissect it." And it was done with a genuine affection for cheesy bad movies; there's no affection in Cinema Sins. It's just smugness.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've seen one or two Cinema Sins videos

They strike me mainly as nitpicking for the sake of a laugh, not to make any sort of point
    Kexruct said:

But again, with something like MST3K, they weren't trying to pick on big, popular, good movies. They were starting from a baseline of "This movie isn't good anyway, so why should we care to dissect it." And it was done with a genuine affection for cheesy bad movies; there's no affection in Cinema Sins. It's just smugness.

http://www.rifftrax.com/riff/wizard-oz
    I saw the one with Neil DeGrasse Tyson because his name was clickbait and I took it.

I got bored halfway through, probably because I wasn't familiar with the movie in question, but it struck me as very unpretentious and trivial.

It's more fun when it's a movie you know fairly well.
  • edited 2014-06-14 13:53:30
    That's an exception, not the rule.
    Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

But again, with something like MST3K, they weren't trying to pick on big, popular, good movies. They were starting from a baseline of "This movie isn't good anyway, so why should we care to dissect it." And it was done with a genuine affection for cheesy bad movies; there's no affection in Cinema Sins. It's just smugness.

http://www.rifftrax.com/riff/wizard-oz
    He wasn't talking about Rifftrax, though. He was talking about MST3K.

They're inherently different enterprises, despite the overlap in personnel.
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

It's not just the pedantry; the pretense really sinks it though.

That would be fine if there were any
    The title of literally every single episode is "Everything wrong with x."

That's some pretty huge pretense.
    I'm sorry, I was not aware movies that made a lot of money were untouchable sacred objects.
  • edited 2014-06-14 13:57:43
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Is there anyone here who actually likes the black comedy aspects of the Mr Plinkett Reviews? I thought that even RLM's defenders felt the crass jokes were unnecessary extras on otherwise interesting reviews.
    Kexruct said:

The MST guys were limited by rights laws. After that ended, Mike Nelson and some of the others found a way to wiggle around copyright and offer MST-style skewerings of recent, big-budget, popular movies. Much like MST, some of it's affectionate ribbing of movies they genuinely enjoy, and sometimes you can tell that they really think a movie is stupid. I get the distinct impression that MST would have gone after big-budget stuff if they had been able to do so.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Being the kind of person who will obsessively watch the same few movies over and over again, I often make a game of pointing out little mistakes and inconsistencies in them

Not because I think "oh no, this movie's imperfect and thus it sucks" but just because...I dunno, it's fun!

a world where people think Terrence Malick is a hack because he bored Brad Jones
    who is brad jones

do i want to know
    He is an internet critic.

He saw Tree of Life in theatres, in 2011.

To this day, he will throw in random snipes at Terrence Malick, the director of Tree of Life, in movies that have no relation to him. He does this at least once every five movies he reviews, and he does a once a week schedule.
    Never seen Red Letter Media.  I don't think my life would be enriched by it.
    MetaFour said:

Is there anyone here who actually likes the black comedy aspects of the Mr Plinkett Reviews? I thought that even RLM's defenders felt the crass jokes were unnecessary extras on otherwise interesting reviews.

Apparently if you are willing to penetrate past RLM's stupid voice, RLM's stupid jokes, RLM's attempts to find comedy in rape and sexual murder, and the massive, sleep inducing length of their reviews of movies everyone already hated, you will find mildly interesting film criticisms, thus making them untouchable paragons of the internet.
  • Odradek said:

a world where people think Terrence Malick is a hack because he bored Brad Jones
    who is brad jones

do i want to know
    He is an internet critic.

He saw Tree of Life in theatres, in 2011.

To this day, he will throw in random snipes at Terrence Malick, the director of Tree of Life, in movies that have no relation to him. He does this at least once every five movies he reviews, and he does a once a week schedule.
    i want to fucking die

im not even sure if im joking at this point

i just do not want to live on the same planet as the no fun brigade anymore
  • Odradek said:

I'm sorry, I was not aware movies that made a lot of money were untouchable sacred objects.

Look, I don't appreciate when people strawman what I say.

What I was saying is that the targeting of popular movies is something done exclusively to get a rise out of the people who liked them. You may say, "Well, that's the point!" but if that's the point, the point is bad.
  • if anyone here cares, you can now get a free copy of Crystal Catacombs by PMing user CCAway on reddit until 5PM Mountain Time today.
    I don't know if that is the point, though.  I think it's just a bit of fun, isn't it?

They pick on popular movies because nobody cares to watch videos about unpopular ones.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Hell, for Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, they riffed on This Island Earth, a bigger-budget and better-known film than any of the ones on the show. And it actually has a decent reputation among sci-fi film buffs.

Fans have approached Mike Nelson at cons and told him that they don't think This Island Earth deserved to be featured on MST. Nelson generally replies with a list of reasons why he thinks This Island Earth does not deserve its good reputation.
  • And it's not like it's impossible to do the silly pedantry thing well, but, well, there's a craft to it. And Cinema Sins doesn't even do that well.
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

What I was saying is that the targeting of popular movies is something done exclusively to get a rise out of the people who liked them. You may say, "Well, that's the point!" but if that's the point, the point is bad.
    It's done because they're movies most people have seen and they find it fun to see the little places where the illusion breaks down
  • kill living beings
    Kexruct said:

What I was saying is that the targeting of popular movies is something done exclusively to get a rise out of the people who liked them.
    lol
  • Tachyon said:

I don't know if that is the point, though.  I think it's just a bit of fun, isn't it?

They pick on popular movies because nobody cares to watch videos about unpopular ones.

During its eleven years, which produced 197 episodes and one feature filmMST3K attained critical acclaim. The series won aPeabody Award in 1993, was nominated for two Emmy Awards (in the category of Outstanding Individual Achievement in Writing for a Variety or Music Program) in 1994 and 1995,[1] and was nominated for a CableACE Award. In 2007, James Poniewozik listed Mystery Science Theater 3000 as one of Time magazine's "100 Best TV Shows of All-Time".[2]

When Marty McFly is fleeing the "Libyan" terrorists, the mileage on the odometer jumps back and forth where the filmmakers spliced together non-consecutive shots of the DeLorean's dashboard

oh snap I just nitpicked a popular movie

whatcha gonna do
    I'm not even sure what Kex's argument is supposed to be anymore.
  • but can we talk about the real issue, whether or not Your Old Droog is actually Nas?????
    I know what MST3K is, thank you Kex.

It's completely different from CinemaSins.  The former is a dissection of movies that were already pants to begin with, the latter is simply a list of goofs and continuity errors that they spotted in popular movies.
  • edited 2014-06-14 14:08:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Also I'm pretty sure the 'everything wrong with' is just clickbait

the views, man

it's all about the views
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

It's done because they're movies most people have seen and they find it fun to see the little places where the illusion breaks down
    But they don't do it well. 

It's always operating under the pretense that these little flaws are sins, and it never takes the time to say that's it's all in good fun, and even if it did the insufferably smug tone of the videos makes it apparent that they don't really care about what they're doing.

Also, it's not funny. It's just pointing out some plot holes and peppering a few "fucks" around.

I'm not even sure what Kex's argument is supposed to be anymore.

that's why i resorted to spouting trivia about my favorite movies

did you know? us law, back when the deloreans were produced, mandated that speedometers max out at 85 mph. so the filmmakers had to fudge the numbers on theirs to be able to show it reading 88

This was the real one:

This was the one they faked for the movie:

One little detail they did get right: the red "55"...at the time, the US had a national maximum speed limit of 55 (yes, seriously), and it was required that 55 be highlighted on all new speedometers.