The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• awp 3yp3e8ogh3phg po8h p8ouhrgepuhp98hp98h[09hg9hp9ghaphgphgoahoaahsagpasghsoghsd

radar sensors are fucking more expensive than landsat data
  • edited 2014-04-29 20:30:36
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Taito and Konami and Irem and Toaplan and Seibu Kaihatsu and Compile and Psikyo and Takumi and Raizing and Cave and Treasure
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    (those are all classic shmup developers that miko is a fan of because miko loves shmups)
  • guys, should I take the night to relax and try to get all of my math homework (which, mind you, is literally about a dozen entire chapters worth of assignments) done tomorrow, or should I start now?

I am torn.
  • Most critics and pop music trainspotters didn't give Creed's 1997 debut My Own Prison much credit upon its release, even though it wound up going multi-platinum. At the time, they seemed like one of many heavy post-grunge guitar outfits -- especially to the disinterested observers who tend to name genres and classify bands. So, when the group unleashed their second album, Human Clay, in 1999, the industry, critics, and record collectors alike were stunned, positively stunned, when it entered the charts at number one, then stayed in the upper reaches of the charts for months on end. Nobody could figure out why this group managed to not just survive, but thrive when such fellow travelers as Our Lady Peace fell by the wayside. After all, at the time, not only were post-grunge bands dying, but so were such grunge heavyweights as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell. Listening to Human Clay doesn't really reveal any insights, either, since it is hard rock rooted firmly in the Seattle vein, complete with really big riffs and intensely introspective lyrics. Then, a realization sets in: Unlike their influences -- from Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains to Stone Temple Pilots -- Creed is happy to be a rock band. Their music may not be particularly joyous and they may even favor foreboding, heavy riffs, but they're not trying to stretch into political causes or worldbeat like Pearl Jam; they're not reveling in dark psychedelia like Soundgarden; nor are they attempting a glam Abbey Road like Stone Temple Pilots. Creed is a straightforward grunge and hard rock band, embracing everything that goes along with that, and doing it pretty well. They might not have as strong an identity as their forefathers, but they're not faceless, especially in the late '90s, an era when most popular hard rock is either rap-rock, industrial-tinged, or plain out thuggish (at times, of course, it's all three). Creed has more class than that and they write relatively solid riffs and hooks. It may not be the kind of thing that knocks out critics or grunge purists, but it does deliver for anyone looking for direct, grunge-flavored hard rock. Within that realm, the band does mix things up a bit -- it's not all mid-tempo sludge, for there are also ballads and some high-octane, up-tempo rockers -- and that makes Human Clay a stronger, better-paced record than its predecessor, which wasn't bad either. It's hard to tell on the basis of these two records if Creed has staying power. However, Human Clay does make it clear that there is an audience for post-grunge hard rock, as long as it's delivered without pretension and as long as it meets the audience's desire for straight-ahead, hard-hitting music.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    oh, dear. :o Put on some good music and try, my witchy sister! I wish you much success! Don't be like me and give up. u_u
  • Most critics and pop music trainspotters didn't give Creed's 1997 debut My Own Prison much credit upon its release, even though it wound up going multi-platinum. At the time, they seemed like one of many heavy post-grunge guitar outfits -- especially to the disinterested observers who tend to name genres and classify bands. So, when the group unleashed their second album, Human Clay, in 1999, the industry, critics, and record collectors alike were stunned, positively stunned, when it entered the charts at number one, then stayed in the upper reaches of the charts for months on end. Nobody could figure out why this group managed to not just survive, but thrive when such fellow travelers as Our Lady Peace fell by the wayside. After all, at the time, not only were post-grunge bands dying, but so were such grunge heavyweights as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell. Listening to Human Clay doesn't really reveal any insights, either, since it is hard rock rooted firmly in the Seattle vein, complete with really big riffs and intensely introspective lyrics. Then, a realization sets in: Unlike their influences -- from Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains to Stone Temple Pilots -- Creed is happy to be a rock band. Their music may not be particularly joyous and they may even favor foreboding, heavy riffs, but they're not trying to stretch into political causes or worldbeat like Pearl Jam; they're not reveling in dark psychedelia like Soundgarden; nor are they attempting a glam Abbey Road like Stone Temple Pilots. Creed is a straightforward grunge and hard rock band, embracing everything that goes along with that, and doing it pretty well. They might not have as strong an identity as their forefathers, but they're not faceless, especially in the late '90s, an era when most popular hard rock is either rap-rock, industrial-tinged, or plain out thuggish (at times, of course, it's all three). Creed has more class than that and they write relatively solid riffs and hooks. It may not be the kind of thing that knocks out critics or grunge purists, but it does deliver for anyone looking for direct, grunge-flavored hard rock. Within that realm, the band does mix things up a bit -- it's not all mid-tempo sludge, for there are also ballads and some high-octane, up-tempo rockers -- and that makes Human Clay a stronger, better-paced record than its predecessor, which wasn't bad either. It's hard to tell on the basis of these two records if Creed has staying power. However, Human Clay does make it clear that there is an audience for post-grunge hard rock, as long as it's delivered without pretension and as long as it meets the audience's desire for straight-ahead, hard-hitting music.
    did Northernlion write this?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Creed used to be the band to hate

Then Nickelback took over
  • nah man it's allmusic

they gave it 4 stars out of 5
    Soundgarden always did have that psychedelic feel, I think that's why they're my favorite of the "grunge" bands
  • i have not heard nickelback in years
  • nah man it's allmusic

they gave it 4 stars out of 5
    you should show this to him on twitter, he'd appreciate it.
  • you know what two songs I heard on the radio today? On B104, which almost exclusively plays pop music from--at most--the last two years?

"In The End" by Linkin Park and "Santeria" by Sublime, back to back.

it was...very strange.
  • was it really true that r-type was in a recent humble bundle?

well

I guess I won't be starting on that project tonight, will I?
  • I have had Jimmy Iovine, the president of that label, come up to me on every record from With Teeth onwards saying I should do some sort of urban thing — it was Timbaland for a while, then it was Pharrell for a while — because ’that’s how you sell records.’

in some alternate reality a NIN record with Pharrell totally happened

think about that for a moment
  • :( it's over

also it was for android only

fuck that shit
  • at least i have raiden legacy the return

though that has a very very mean system

only one continue

so two of my buddies (and some other people I don't know) started up a Dubstep/Metalcore band called Icrascia. I don't know if I'd like their music (probably not, just given the genres tbh), but they've got a fucking cool logo.
  • a Dubstep/Metalcore band
    man that's so like 2011

dubstep/deathcore is

well actually no that's still behind the ball
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    genres are forever
  • if the trend is going toward even more dubstep then i'm not sure being behind the ball is a bad thing

at least i have raiden legacy the return

only one continue

meh, in shmups, continues are the developers being forgiving. That is why there is usually a practice mode so you can play different sections at your leisure. I admit, though, the Raiden games are face-meltingly hard, even for a hardcore fan like me.
  • alternatively
    Tachyon said:

genres are forever

• Miko said:

at least i have raiden legacy the return

only one continue

meh, in shmups, continues are the developers being forgiving. That is why there is usually a practice mode so you can play different sections at your leisure. I admit, though, the Raiden games are face-meltingly hard, even for a hardcore fan like me.
    they're hard because i can't practice them
    TOAD
  • a Dubstep/Metalcore band
    man that's so like 2011

dubstep/deathcore is

well actually no that's still behind the ball
    I'm not gonna tell them what to do and what not to do. All five musical acts out of Palmerton PA have to support each other.

(the other two are a comedy group that doesn't exist anymore and a pair of defunct rock bands called Phoenix Altar and Boston FresKo, if you're curious)
  • edited 2014-04-29 20:40:25
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    they're hard because i can't practice them
    aww *pat pat* The PC version I have includes mission mode, which is basically practice, but (as I expected) I have to actually make progress in the game to unlock more of it, which... I haven't done yet. :p It isn't super beginner-friendly, but, if you want to beat the game, you'll have to improve anyway. Just think, when these games first appeared in the arcades, players had to put in a coin and play it straight through in order to practice. ^_^; That would be really hard!
  • if the trend is going toward even more dubstep then i'm not sure being behind the ball is a bad thing

well no there is no trend

there was a shitty deathcore/dubstep/hardstyle/trance band in 2011 but they vanished

so the joke is that metalcore/dubstep would be further behind than an already vanished band
  • also if u shit talk dubstep i'll slap u

• also dubstep isn't really much of a thing anymore most of the old guard does techno now and the UK dance scene has shifted over to instrumental grime, industrial techno and old-school house
    music is confusing

*listens to bands from 40 years ago*
  • Look if you wanna tell them they're behind the times you can go to their facebook page and tell them that, I just like their logo.
  • of course the one time I actually need it I can't find the thing to turn the Tools tab visible again in Opera.

uuuugh
  • did there not used to be a "manage toolbars" thing in the drop-down menu?
  • you can easily manage which toolbars are visible by going to Settings --> Toolbars
  • im glad that dubstep's whole "endless crushing sub pressure" thing has stayed around

that is/was the best part after all
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    for the musically illiterate, what is 'pressure' in this instance?
  • it's not a technical term or anything

im just referring to the sensation you get when listening to something like The Goat Stare (if you want other examples Pinch's Midnight Oil is a great track*) where the always-present sub-bass just kinda envelops the track, with reverb and delay trails streaking through while the drums skitter all about.

it's a thing borrowed from d'n'b of a more old school or minimal vein, but it feels a lot different due to the slower tempo
  • I should probably replace the lightbulb in my room that's been out for like three weeks so I can see what I'm doing if I have to use scratch paper while doing these math problems (and I will almost certainly have to use it).

However, we have no lightbulbs.
  • edited 2014-04-29 21:02:23
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ Naney ah, cool

I tend to think of drone doom as building up a lot of pressure

and then, when the drone suddenly stops, it's like all the pressure is released
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Storming here

I wouldn't be surprised if the power goes out