The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm still kind of sore at Disney over Pocahontas for...well, not even the history, but the geography. Jamestown, VA is not Los Angeles, guys; the mountains aren't quite that close to the shore. :P
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Why do they want Big Company to acknowledge them in media

It won't make things better
  • edited 2014-04-29 18:21:35
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Hey, look who it is
    Man, T. Rex is so totally me.

And shut up, Utahraptor.  I don't even like you. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    since they're speaking English anyway, i don't see why they should have Scandinavian accents

it would be cool if they had them speaking Norwegian with subtitles, but they would never do that in a big Disney movie

and everyone being white strikes me as fairly reasonable given the setting, although given the amount of anachronisms in Tangled i don't think they can be excused from anything on the grounds of historical accuracy
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • Tachyon said:

since they're speaking English anyway, i don't see why they should have Scandinavian accents

it would be cool if they had them speaking Norwegian with subtitles, but they would never do that in a big Disney movie

and everyone being white strikes me as fairly reasonable given the setting, although given the amount of anachronisms in Tangled i don't think they can be excused from anything on the grounds of historical accuracy

there actually were some dark-skinned vikings, though this is--for *whatever reason*--not common knowledge.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

Because I like scandinavian accents.

Then again, it's probably for the best that mass media hasn't really shown it.  Mass Media makes everything worse.

Nevermind, Disney, continue using american accents.
  • giving

is roughly equivalent to receiving
  • edited 2014-04-29 18:29:40
    (2015 self)

Tachyon said:

there actually were some dark-skinned vikings, though this is--for *whatever reason*--not common knowledge.
    Well, duh.

What, do you expect a great seafaring culture that traded all over the world to not have that?  It just comes with any culture based in that much widespread trade and travel.
    I guess it didn't occur to me.  I stand corrected.

Sorry about that.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    cocks
  • Tachyon said:

I guess it didn't occur to me.  I stand corrected.

Sorry about that.

It's not really your fault.

It doesn't occur to most people because vikings are not only nearly always depicted as white, they're nearly always depicted as having either blond or brown hair. This leads to two preconceptions, one being that "viking" is an ethnic group (it is very much not that), and two being that all vikings looked that way. This feeds back on itself, leading to another generation of people who think that that's how all vikings look, and thus make all their vikings in their fictions look that way.

It is a feedback loop, and a pretty good indicator of why representation is important in general.
  • kill living beings
    matlab fuck you and your column vectors, imo
  • edited 2014-04-29 18:42:04
    (2015 self)
    To be fair, Scandinavia (and the baltic sea areas) do have a very large percentage of blond hair, and there's a reason for that association between the two.  <But there are lots of blond people elsewhere, and lots of not-blond people in scandinavia and the baltic sea areas.>

And certain genetic evidence suggests that the mutation for blond hair originated in the baltic sea area.

But, well, people have always been travellers, and it's never been really accurate to associate any plaec with any physical features or traits.

The very idea of a "Nordic Race" is an inherent betrayal of the traveling and trading foundations of the seafaring peoples of scandinavia during certain parts of the so-called medieval era.
  • Aliroz said:

To be fair, Scandinavia (and the baltic sea areas) do have a very large percentage of blond hair, and there's a reason for that association between the two.  <But there are lots of blond people elsewhere, and lots of not-blond people in scandinavia and the baltic sea areas.>

And certain genetic evidence suggests that the mutation for blond hair originated in the baltic sea area.

But, well, people have always been travellers, and it's never been really accurate to associate any plaec with any physical features or traits.

yea but many vikings are not Scandinavian. That's where the culture comes from originally, but by the end of the viking age you could find them in England, Spain, The Netherlands, Russia, and many other places.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • edited 2014-04-29 18:47:46
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

yea but many vikings are not Scandinavian. That's where the culture comes from originally, but by the end of the viking age you could find them in England, Spain, The Netherlands, Russia, and many other places.
    Like I said, a traveling culture.  Travelling from people to people, and well as people traveling from place to place.

Not really homogenous, or even confined to one place (so, yeah.  You're right about that).

I doubt the Vikings themselves were as concerned with their hair color as, say, the nineteenth and twentieth-century eugenecists.  I bet if you asked them, they'd say something along the lines of, "Um, I don't know.  There's lots of hair colors."
  • relatedly, one of my favorite CK2 starts is as Haesteinn of Nantes in the Old Gods bookmark (which takes place during the age of vikings) and invade somewhere far off like Egypt.

It's hypothetically possible, even, to establish a viking nation in India now that they've added it to the game, but I've not yet tried to do so.
  • kill living beings
    reminds me of A Scotsman in Egypt

and more realistically the varangians <3
  • reminds me of A Scotsman in Egypt

Egypt and Greece aren't that far apart, is the thing.

I'm actually kinda interested as to what the reasons were for Vikings never really establishing any small holdings in Muslim lands, I should look into that sometime.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    On Frozen: Except for "Let it Go" and "In Summer", I have found myself not liking most of its songs anymore
    (2015 self)
    Love is an open doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor
  • Love will save you when the ocean splits itself in two 
    Love will save you when the cold wind blows right through you 
    Love will save you when the poison eats the precious air 
    And love will save you from the snake that crawls around down there

But it won't save me 

Love will save you from the evil and the greed of ignorant men 
    And love will save you from the guilt you feel when you betray your only friend 
    Love will save you from yourself when you lose control 
    And love will save you from all the lies your lover ever told you 

But it won't save me 

Love will save you from the truth when you think you're free 
    Love will save you from the cold light of boring reality 
    Love will save you from the corruption of your lazy-minded soul 
    And love will save you from your selfish and distorted goals 

But it won't save me 

Love will save you from the black night and the lightning and the ghost 
    Love will save you from your misery, then tie you to the bloody post 
    Love will save you from the hands that pull you down beneath the sea 
    Love may save all you people

but it will never, never save me 
    love is a drug
    love is a band
    love is a term used in tennis
  • kill living beings

reminds me of A Scotsman in Egypt

I'm actually kinda interested as to what the reasons were for Vikings never really establishing any small holdings in Muslim lands, I should look into that sometime.
    actually, it looks like they held lisbon for two weeks, and you already mentioned spain
  • reminds me of A Scotsman in Egypt

actually, it looks like they held lisbon for two weeks, and you already mentioned spain
    I should've specified, I meant more North Africa area.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Miko said:

Jean-Jacques Perrey is da best.
  • edited 2014-04-29 19:24:10
    Aliroz said:

@map projection arguments:

All maps are distorted because three dimensional sphres cannot be represented with two-dimentional shapes without some messing up of stuff.

Some maps get distances right, some get angles right, some get sizes right, some get other things right.

Best is a globe.

Use a globe.

but globes are hard to store flat

fun fact: our GIS prof actually took an inflatable globe to class to show this

and then he promptly popped it with a pair of scissors, and cut it into strips, to try to illustrate the idea of projecting it

the class was a bit incredulous as he popped the globe
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Love will save you when the ocean splits itself in two 
    Love will save you when the cold wind blows right through you 
    Love will save you when the poison eats the precious air 
    And love will save you from the snake that crawls around down there

But it won't save me 

Love will save you from the evil and the greed of ignorant men 
    And love will save you from the guilt you feel when you betray your only friend 
    Love will save you from yourself when you lose control 
    And love will save you from all the lies your lover ever told you 

But it won't save me 

Love will save you from the truth when you think you're free 
    Love will save you from the cold light of boring reality 
    Love will save you from the corruption of your lazy-minded soul 
    And love will save you from your selfish and distorted goals 

But it won't save me 

Love will save you from the black night and the lightning and the ghost 
    Love will save you from your misery, then tie you to the bloody post 
    Love will save you from the hands that pull you down beneath the sea 
    Love may save all you people

but it will never, never save me 
    Great song from a great album.
  • kill living beings
    that i don't know

wikipedia mentions tunisia was briefly invaded by sicilian normans, though

weird
  • kill living beings

Aliroz said:

@map projection arguments:

All maps are distorted because three dimensional sphres cannot be represented with two-dimentional shapes without some messing up of stuff.

Some maps get distances right, some get angles right, some get sizes right, some get other things right.

Best is a globe.

Use a globe.

but globes are hard to store flat

fun fact: our GIS prof actually took an inflatable globe to class to show this

and then he promptly popped it with a pair of scissors, and cut it into strips, to try to illustrate the idea of projecting it

the class was a bit incredulous as he popped the globe
    awesome.
  • that i don't know

wikipedia mentions tunisia was briefly invaded by sicilian normans, though

weird

why did i read this as "silican normans"
    Silian Braille
    (2015 self)
    Silicon Mormons.
  • oh shit i'm not working on my paper
    (2015 self)
    Oh crud, I need to go study more for my test tomorrow that is 25% of my final grade!

Let's be being-productive buddies, Glenn!
  • edited 2014-04-29 19:41:32
    except i can see that you are playing aoe2 on steam

(lol, sorry)
  • Aliroz said:

Oh crud, I need to go study more for my test tomorrow that is 25% of my final grade!

Let's be being-productive buddies, Glenn!

good luck, Aliroz
  • Oh, and good luck to the rest of you who aren't Aliroz.

Heck, good luck even if you don't have a huge assignment due in the near future. Life's a frigging mess, yo.
    Thanks, Yarrun!

*has 2 assignments that thankfully are not due in yet*