The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    At times I miss Aondeug and Ramus and squiddle and Loid.
  • Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
    Asleep on the black trunk,
    blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
    Down the ravine behind the empty house,
    The cowbells follow one another
    Into the distances of the afternoon.
    To my right,
    In a field of sunlight between two pines,
    The droppings of last year's horses
    Blaze up into golden stones.
    I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
    A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
    I have wasted my life.
  • having wasted his life, james wright decides the best way to make the most of the remainder of it is to write poems about a cactus with about 5 line breaks for every word. good going, james wright!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hahaha if you go to take video with the new Google Camera app and you're holding your phone in portrait-orientation it shows a little animation nagging you to turn it the right way

It's still not as good as actively preventing people from recording video in portrait orientation, but it's a start
  • i re looked up the cactus poem and actually it turns out that the thing that annoyed me about it was not annoying form, but that it was doing the whole 'saguaro cactus ARE YOU GOD? i am an elf owl. i am a shadow. ~mysticism~' thing
  • edited 2014-04-30 15:09:16
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i would resent being actively prevented from recording in portrait orientation, given a device that was capable of recording in portrait orientation

not that i'd likely ever want to, but just as a matter of principle
  • even though sometimes i an guilty of liking/writing things like that myself
  • introduce portrait youtube layouts
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

i would resent being actively prevented from recording in portrait orientation, given a device that was capable of recording in portrait orientation

I was mostly being facetious, 'cause yeah

They wouldn't dare try that because it would just end with a bunch of angry people going "WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME HOW I CAN AND CAN'T RECORD VIDEOS"
    If you want Central Avenue to answer when you call, you're going to have to do better than an incomprehensible string of numbers with no apparent meaning:

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Tachyon said:

I was mostly being facetious, 'cause yeah

They wouldn't dare try that because it would just end with a bunch of angry people going "WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME HOW I CAN AND CAN'T RECORD VIDEOS"
    developers tell people how they can and can't use their phones all the time, though
    Well, yes, but I can't imagine it would go over well with the type of people who record vertical videos (i.e. people who have no idea what they're doing and/or just don't give a fuck) if when they went to tap "record" the phone refused to record until they turned it
  • The sadness will last forever.
    mentally 2old
  • how often have i lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It is pronounced Sa-wor-o

Not Sa-gur-o
  • edited 2014-04-30 16:12:22
    huh

i always thought it was sag-war-o

('war' to rhyme with 'car', not with 'core', but it's wrong either way)
  • Odradek said:

It is pronounced Sa-wor-o

Not Sa-gur-o

this is a good fact

we are at walmart buying a trash can

keks
    teh memes
  • I have been doing these stupid, tedious math problems for hours and I am only on the third section (sections are broken up into "units" which can contain anywhere from six to forty problems) out of seven I need to do.

I have never felt so frustrated and stupid.
    kimbra
  • Math does that.

...if I was the teaching type, I'd use my fancy schmancy soon-to-be-had Math degree to revise the way we teach Math. 
    what would you change?
  • I really like how I'm locked out of doing the problems again after a certain amount of tries.
    Going to do other stuff.

Bye.

This really seems like something I shouldn't have gotten wrong six times in a row by now but here we are.
  • kill living beings
    math education *laugh track*

(0,-3) to (1,1) mmhm
  • whelp guess I'm getting a 55% on this section

*confetti*

math education *laugh track*

(0,-3) to (1,1) mmhm

not the answer they wanted. Either that or I just graphed it wrong.
  • Tachyon said:

what would you change?

Blitz, man, I don't know.

It's just that math education's traditionally been the whipping boy of standard school subjects, and we should at least try to fix that rather than just sticking to the traditional methods and driving away potential math-lovers.
    Online math homework is notoriously finicky. There's a tendency for the computer to insist on an answer being presented exactly the right way, when in reality, math being math, there are multiple correct ways to write certain expressions.

Like, if this was on paper, you'd just have to pick two points (like Tzetze said) and draw a line between them with a ruler, but with that thing...I don't even know how it wants you to "draw".
  • There is literally nothing worse for Math than online math problem sets.

Mathematics can effectively be summed up as 'SHOW YOUR FRIGGING WORK', and yet so many use a system that doesn't allow you to do that.

And it sucks for students because when you're wrong, you can't be wrong in a way that gets you partial credit.
  • you know

i have never used a kanaya avatar

and reflecting on it, she really is my fave troll
  • Ububbhbubbhbbbhbubbbbh

math 

I want to like it so bad but like I can't it just doesn't click and it actively upsets me pretty often

• i never really had any problems with many math courses that i've taken, it's just not really my thing, y'know?

well actually i have weird mental processing issues that prevent me from doing so much as basic multiplication in my head, but im hella good with abstract concepts and shit
  • you know, it'd be fun to date a mathematician
    everyone seems to love Kanaya

she's ok but she never struck me as terribly memorable, aside from that one action scene

maybe when i reread the comic i'll figure out what it is i'm missing
  • edited 2014-04-30 16:58:12

well actually i have weird mental processing issues that prevent me from doing so much as basic multiplication in my head

oh, it's not just me

i am also fine with abstract concepts

math is pretty cool, but mental calculations... idk, it's like my brain just stops working when i don't have paper in front of me
  • she has fun dialogue and interaction with other characters

plus i like her personality

and she likes fashion so +++++ for her
  • kill living beings
    it's too bad they make everyone do arithmetic early on because by year three it's pretty rare to see any numbers at all
  • Tachyon said:

well actually i have weird mental processing issues that prevent me from doing so much as basic multiplication in my head

oh, it's not just me
    yeah

i was stuck failing in remedial math up until i fiiiiinally convinced them to let me take a AP course where we could use a fucking calculator and then i wiped the floor with it and people shut up about it
  • Mental math isn't actually that common once you get to calculus.

After that, it's more about concepts and knowing how to manipulate formulas. 
  • Mental math isn't actually that common once you get to calculus.

After that, it's more about concepts and knowing how to manipulate formulas. 
    well yeah
  • kill living beings
    restrictions on calculators are some dumb shit

if i was to somehow be allowed to teach things to human beings i'd run a class where you learn science things by implementing simulations
  • I'm actually pretty okay with the rare pure formula you see in remedial math, but whenever actual numbers are involved, I get confused

plus like half of these are problems about "how long can George drive before he has to fill up his gas tank" and what the fuck just look at your fuel gauge George

I'm taking a break because ugh
    Aliroz said:

I miss Charlatan, Lull, Senator Awesome Pants, Harmattane, Zyxzy, Grog, Black Dove and Spain Sun, Kinkajou, tzetze, freezair, solstace, Blackmoon, Lucky Revenant, Tuefel, Bisected 8, Wicked, Kuro Fox, Zudak and Wheezy, Komodin, Noimporta, ponicalia, darnpenguin, att obl, haven, The Fan (man, that guy was so great), leradny, melloncollie,kyler thatch, goggle fox, catfish and flanker, penguin4senate, and other guys.

Don't really miss Kino, Scrye, Falconfly, or PLEASEBANMEIMATROLL, though.
    Charlatan and Zudak are doing fine. Zyxzy has a tumblr, Black Dove is doing fine, Spain Sun, Ponicalica  and Tzetze post here, Lucky Revenant has a tumblr, Melloncolie is dating Juan, and Penguin4Senate is at an all-girls college where she is studying entomology.
    Also I know little about math, but I know for sure it is that dastardly Gauss's fault.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    *trashes up the place with MELVIGHT VIDNET WOO*