The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well, it gives you a slight insight into how one particular mind works, i guess

getting to know people is fine and good, but calling that psychology seems... i dunno, sort of pretentious?

i don't like the idea that disciplines are all applied versions of whatever, like that one xkcd

like, i'm a lit student; that's studying something that people make, but it's not applied psychology

there's overlap of course but the methods and inquiries are different

ditto politics, ditto economics, ditto communications
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    But that's not the same as talking about the discipline. When one informally solicits information about why one might like or dislike X, that is not the same as talking about Jungian archetypes or Skinner boxes or the Milgram experiment or whatever.
    Tachyon said:

well, it gives you a slight insight into how one particular mind works, i guess

getting to know people is fine and good, but calling that psychology seems... i dunno, sort of pretentious?

Exactly.
  • gross baby vomit
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my attempt to beat Super Metroid in under 3 hours has failed

I finished in 3:11

*cries*
  • you are a disgrace

you shame the meritocracy 

• well i'm not using it to mean a particular field of study

i'm using the term to mean "everything that works on that basis"

economics is a sub-field of psychology because it deals with notions of value and assumptions about desirability etc. that stem from the way we understand the world around us (such as conceptualizing things as "goods" or "services", or issues of mental accessibility of information when we try to judge the value of something), which is psychology

i think this reveals the answers to "at the end of the day, what am i really working with?" questions

in other words, at the most basic level, the fundamental assumptions and rules upon which something is based/derived
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:36:10
    it's like

if you're into stock trading

you can get really into it and be thinking about all sorts of market mechanisms and predictors and stuff

but then you take two steps back and realize that all it is is just people's guess/judgement/opinion of how much some conceptual piece of a company or a commodity is worth, at any given time, based on the information available to them
    i guess

again though you're talking about general principles here

that's quite a lot different from 'this is why i like/don't like x'
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:39:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    but i mean yeah you're right that the word 'psychology' is used outside the strict discipline with that name

at their best and most useful the social sciences are rigorous, not at all informal
    Glenn, you are being the literal dictionary definition of pretentious right now, bordering on the ultracrepidarian. I do not mean this as an ad hominem attack, but as a description of something that I am observing that is legitimately frustrating and annoying me.
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:41:41
    ^^^ well, what other category would you put that in?

I guess you could put it in media studies but it just feels very vulnerable to subjectivity
  • Glenn, you are being the literal dictionary definition of pretentious right now, bordering on the ultracrepidarian. I do not mean this as an ad hominem attack, but as a description of something that I am observing that is legitimately frustrating and annoying me.

And this is when I realize that I shouldn't be shitposting with meaningful posts because I risk starting arguments and making people feel uncomfortable and stuff like that when I just spout opinions without thinking about the consequences first...

Also when I instinctively start using capital letters and punctuation correctly.
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:45:51

^^^ well, what other category would you put that in?

getting to know people
    you know i did A-level media studies

interesting subject
  • but that makes people offended if you seem like you're just pandering to them

like "hey, i see you play xbox and nintendo so i guess you like videogames, so enjoy this gift of a plug-into-the-TV controller with some minigames on it"
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:46:42
    that's if i recall correctly what we were even discussing a while back

and i am not sure i am recalling correctly

see this what happen when i'm shitposting; i just post whatever comes to mind

but that makes people offended if you seem like you're just pandering to them

like "hey, i see you play xbox and nintendo so i guess you like videogames, so enjoy this gift of a plug-into-the-TV controller with some minigames on it"

i don't even know what you mean

if someone was offended by that it'd presumably be because you gave them a shitty gift
  • *..==.*..==.= = =

=-0987654321`
  • i enjoy the juxtaposition

i had to google that word because i felt like i wasn't using it right

where are my cyanide pills i can't live with myself anymore
  • no glenn you're just kind of being pedantic.

Shitposting is what I just finished doing here.

Observe my masterfully-crafted visual noise cut-up art-nonsense, so that you may learn from it.
  • Tachyon said:

but that makes people offended if you seem like you're just pandering to them

i don't even know what you mean

if someone was offended by that it'd presumably be because you gave them a shitty gift
    well you need to know what they're thinking or know how their apparent topic of interest works in order to avoid giving shitty gifts

or in some cases, be wary of exceptions, such as not giving people "guilty" gifts
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:52:49
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Glenn, you are being the literal dictionary definition of pretentious right now, bordering on the ultracrepidarian. I do not mean this as an ad hominem attack, but as a description of something that I am observing that is legitimately frustrating and annoying me.

And this is when I realize that I shouldn't be shitposting with meaningful posts because I risk starting arguments and making people feel uncomfortable and stuff like that when I just spout opinions without thinking about the consequences first...

Also when I instinctively start using capital letters and punctuation correctly.

It's more that you are making mountains out of molehills in a really baffling way. Like, in a different context, some of these positions would be interesting, but you're applying all this philosophical baggage to talking about why someone likes the colour blue or whatever in the middle of an informal conversation. Really, I don't think that you meant to talk over people's heads here, but seriously, you're over-analysing things and it makes you sound like you're posturing.
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:52:38
    ^^ well yeah but you can figure that out by getting to know them better as a person, and by learning more about video games as a medium

i don't know what you mean by pandering
  • Pandering is how you get gold out them hills.
    look if i seem slow rn it's cause it's 4:53 am and i should be asleep
  • It's more that you are making mountains out of molehills in a really baffling way. Like, in a different context, some of these positions would be interesting, but you're applying all this philosophical baggage to talking about why someone likes the colour blue or whatever in the middle of an informal conversation. Really, I don't think that you meant to talk over people's heads here, but seriously, you're over-analysing things and it makes you sound like you're posturing.

It's more like, I didn't actually think any of this through before posting it, and just started typing.

I'm sorry if I hijacked/interrupted/etc. a conversation.
  • Tachyon said:

look if i seem slow rn it's cause it's 4:53 am and i should be asleep

no it's 11:55 PM.

British Time doesn't exist you silly British Person.
  • edited 2014-01-28 23:56:59
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Pander Bears.

A rare American mammal, distinguishable by their long white beards and metal jaws. They are filter feeders with a fine wire mesh in their throats, and live predominately near mountain rives.
    *cries*

i just want to be able to talk about biscuits without someone going 'oh you mean cookies'

i just want to be able to talk about cookies without someone going 'but you're british so why aren't you saying biscuits'

what must i do to be able ot communicated like a normal heappeer
  • Tachyon said:

*cries*

i just want to be able to talk about biscuits without someone going 'oh you mean cookies'

i just want to be able to talk about cookies without someone going 'but you're british so why aren't you saying biscuits'

what must i do to be able ot communicated like a normal heappeer

become French

at which point we will mock you for your pretension and the silly way your language sounds.
    moo
  • you know I always thought a cow sound was closer to a "rrreeaauuurr" than a "moo".
    sacre bleu
  • Tachyon said:

sacre bleu

HON HON HON LE CROISSANT HON HON

you know I always thought a cow sound was closer to a "rrreeaauuurr" than a "moo".

it kind of is
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Cookie. A round crumbly thing. Preferably with chocolate chips or blueberries.
    if you think about it no animal makes the sound you think it makes

it's all reeeaureururuurruururrururururrr

in fact there are no such things as different sounds

everything is just reeoeuururururururrrrr
  • mmmmrreeeeeeaurrm

Cookie. A round crumbly thing. Preferably with chocolate chips or blueberries.

i like those
    good night
  • Tachyon said:

i don't know what you mean by pandering

thinking too shallowly about what someone likes or doesn't like, with the result of them feeling like they're treated as simpletons, or something like that

like if someone gives you a shitty gift
  • Cookie. A round crumbly thing. Preferably with raisins or blueberries.

FTFY
  • edited 2014-01-29 00:05:58
    ^^ is called not knowing them too well
  • edited 2014-01-29 00:06:14
    or sugar

or lemon flavor

or something like that

chocolate chips are slightly bitter and icky to handle
    no i will not be drawn into this

i am sorry Glenn

you will have to wait until tomorrow to learn why you are wrong about absolutely everything ever and always will be, times infinity, the end
  • edited 2014-01-29 00:08:03
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Raisins are not for cookies. Raisins are for other biscuits.

And the hell kind of chocolate chip is bitter? What are you using, dark chocolate?
  • are hershey kisses an acceptable substitute