The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ""Pepe's Playhouse", a rather half-assed play area where you could dump your kids to be watched by some poor minimum-wage worker while you did your grocery shopping."

Our Freddie's has something like this, though it doesn't look like a horrible place to dump a kid for an hour. They always got a Disney movie playing at least.

@Regarding dilapidated school:

Friday and I where watching Millennium and there was an abandoned hospital in the episode.

I mention that America was full of places like that. You can even see abandoned factories on the side of highways and stuff.

Guess they don't have them in other countries so much. Funny, when you have as much space as us, I guess it's often times easier just to make a new building somewhere else.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Guess they don't have them in other countries so much

Thats because they are usually a H&S risk.

They would be for us if we weren't allowed just to board them up and hope hobos don't die from falling off couple story high platform that has no rails .
  • DAMN NANNY STATE!

/Daily Mail
  • edited 2012-01-17 14:45:44
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

FIX THE HOMELESS PROBLEM BY LETTING HOBOS DIE OFF IN CONDEMNED BUILDINGS!

Maybe I should run for President on my "dead hobo" platform.

This is the same platform I mentioned, several stories high with no rails. 
  • I was talking about what Whale said about health and safety, but that's an interesting way of looking at letting hobos fall to their deaths.
    But hobos aren't homeless.
  • edited 2012-01-17 14:53:50

Wikitionary disagrees!

ho·bo/ˈhōˌbō/

Noun:
    1. A homeless person; a tramp.
    2. A migrant worker.
    Synonyms:
    tramp - vagabond - vagrant - bum - landloper - wanderer

• It also sounds as though Lucifer was created as an organic organ. A
    living musical instrument. The tabrets and pipes were IN him.

When he fell, perhaps his musical ability was disfigured and
    hindered, and that is why we have rock and roll and heavy metal and rap
    music, because it is the sounds that the devil produces from his
    corrupted body.

Justice, you're our resident demonologist. Is there any theological support for this insane, albeit amusing, idea?

Funnily enough, it's not impossible to come to the conclusion (though it's a tad of a stretch) by looking at the Bible and the verses that are responsible for the Lucifer Mythos:

11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, 
       along with the noise of your harps
    maggots are spread out beneath you 
       and worms cover you.

12 How you have fallen from heaven, 
       morning star, son of the dawn! 
    You have been cast down to the earth, 
       you who once laid low the nations! 

Isaiah 14:11-12 (NIV)

• I have to say, the idea of a villain who's a living musical instrument that has been broken and so constantly emits discordant sounds is actually pretty cool.

Apparently, there are a few demons of music in this list 

Amduscias is mentioned in several of the reputable (as reputable as you get with this stuff) sources of demonology.

Same with Murmur

• What's the difference between a reputable and disreputable demonologist?
  • edited 2012-01-17 15:29:36

I meant more the books.

The books they are mentioned in are some of the ones Solomon supposedly wrote (though scholars tend to disagree on that).

So, a tad more accepted in demonology circles, than say...something that LaVey came up with (though his Satanism was atheistic anyway, this didn't necessarily stop many of the members of his Satanism from attempting to contact demons, apparently).
  • Pater Potentas, Father’s power

Wasn't he a character in Harvey Birdman?

• The sadness will last forever.
    Beautiful in a odd way.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    So anyway, following US 60 through West Texas on Google Maps, and I found the cattle feedlots. 

It seems like every one of them has a lake of cherry-red blood next to them. BLUH.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So apparently when AU takes pictures in stores he just walks on in with a digital camera and doesn't even try to hide it.

I kinda wanna try that, but I'm a little paranoid.
    Gn
    Buonanotte, Balena.
  • edited 2012-01-17 18:13:29

IT'S RANDOM GOD TIME!

Enlil 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enlil was considered to be the god of breath, wind, loft and breadth (height and distance).Enlil (nlin),  (EN = Lord + LÍL = Storm, "Lord (of the) Storm") was the name of a chief deity listed and written about in Sumerian religion, and later in AkkadianHittiteCanaanite and other Mesopotamian clay and stone tablets. The name is perhaps pronounced and sometimes rendered in translations as Ellil in later Akkadian, Hittite, and Canaanite literature. In later Akkadian, Enlil is the son of Anshar and Kishar.

One story names his origins as the exhausted breath of
     An (god of the heavens) and Ki (goddess of the Earth) after sexual union.
    Origin

The myth of Enlil and Ninlil discusses when Enlil was a young god, he was banished from Dilmun, home of the gods, to Kur, the underworld for raping a goddess named Ninlil. Ninlil followed him to the underworld where she bore his first child, Nergal, and/or the moon god Sin (Sumerian Nanna/Suen). After fathering three more underworld-deities (substitutes for Sin), Enlil was allowed to return to Dilmun.(Raping is bad...Unless you rape enough that you make a family, then it's fine)

Enlil was known as the inventor of the mattock (a key agricultural pick, hoe, ax or digging tool of the Sumerians) (I doubt that patent is paying off much anymore...) and caused plants to grow.

Cosmological role

Enlil, along with Anu/An, Enki and Ninhursag were gods of the Sumerians.

By his wife Ninlil or Sud, Enlil was father of the moon god Nanna/Suen (in Akkadian, Sin) and of Ninurta (also called Ningirsu). Enlil is the father of Nisaba the goddess of grain, of Pabilsag who is sometimes equated with Ninurta, and sometimes of Enbilulu. By Ereshkigal Enlil was father of Namtar.

Cultural histories

Enlil is associated with the ancient city of Nippur, sometimes referred to as the cult city of Enlil. His temple was named Ekur, "House of the Mountain." Enlil was assimilated to the north "Pole of the Ecliptic". His sacred number name was 50.

As Enlil was the only god who could reach the heaven god An he held sway over the other gods who were assigned tasks by his agent and would travel to Nippur to draw in his power. He is thus seen as the model for kingship.

At a very early period prior to 3000 BC, Nippur had become the centre of a political district of considerable extent. Inscriptions found at Nippur, where extensive excavations were carried on during 1888–1900 by John P Peters and John Henry Haynes, under the auspices of the University of Pennsylvania, show that Enlil was the head of an extensive pantheon. Among the titles accorded to him are "king of lands", "king of heaven and earth", and "father of the gods".

His chief temple at Nippur was known as Ekur, signifying 'House of the mountain', and such was the sanctity acquired by this edifice that Babylonian and Assyrian rulers, down to the latest days, vied with one another in embellishing and restoring Enlil's seat of worship, and the name Ekur became the designation of a temple in general.

Grouped around the main sanctuary, there arose temples and chapels to the gods and goddesses who formed his court, so that Ekur became the name for an entire sacred precinct in the city of Nippur. The name "mountain house" suggests a lofty structure and was perhaps the designation originally of the staged tower at Nippur, built in imitation of a mountain, with the sacred shrine of the god on the top.

Enlil was also the God of weather. According to the Sumerians, Enlil helped create the humans, but then got tired of their noise and tried to kill them by sending a flood. ("Man, you fuckers are annoying, If only there was a way to make you quieter...OH! I know, I'll just kill you ALL!")A mortal known as Utnapishtim survived the flood through the help of another god, Ea, and he was made immortal by Enlil after Enlil's initial fury ("WHAT? I thought you'd be HAPPY that I was taking responsibility for my own creation here! Geeze, the way you treat me, you'd think I raped you, or something!". 

• edited 2012-01-17 18:13:04
    Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Breath AND breadth?

Did that come from translation or is this a god with control over homophones?

I'm not sure, but now I really hope that's his divine power. :P

• Breadth control? "Tremble as I make all my enemies obese!"
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Dude.

You could give your enemies instant heart attacks

Don't mock the breadth control
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm bored and I miss my boy.
  • -breadth controls everyone-

MAKE ME THINNER!
  • Can you shave a few pounds off my hips?

Enlil is now the god of weight loss.
  • "Overweight? Feel like exercise isn't doing any good? Try Enlil! Side-effects may include goddess-raping."

It's funny/horrifying that "raping" seemed a fairly legitimate way to get a mate in ancient Mythologies.

Granted, "rape" sometimes meant "Sex before marriage", so the etymology is kinda confusing.

It sounds like in this case that things where more or less consensual. 

Unlike, say the story Hades and Persephone, which involves abduction.

• Homer
    describes her as the formidable, venerable majestic queen of the shades,
    who carries into effect the curses of men upon the souls of the dead,
    along with her husband Hades

She apparently got quite into her role, considering. Stockholm Syndrome?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    your boy is here now, CA
    Yay! Now we can have a Boyishere Party!
  • (*Streamers*) WHOOOOOOOO
    Boys are here all around!
  • -does manly things like drinking electrolytes and using a palm pilot-
    *is listening to Andrew W.K.*
  • ...being manly is boring, as it turns out. Let's all be girly.

-rides a unicorn-
    *is a unicorn*
    -explodes-
  • (*Explodes Twice*)