The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think the part of writing I struggle with the most is plot. In my head I can paint a vivid picture of a setting--and I've been told this comes across in my writing, as well--and I can create characters who would be interesting, but I can never think of anything interesting for them to be doing. It seems the only way I can come up with an actual story is to sit around and start typing aimlessly, only to have the idea come to me after a page or so. (Which often means throwing out whatever I've already typed.)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have 5,000 ideas and no plot.

Plot is tough
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    And anyone who makes a "PLOT" joke will be shot.
  • edited 2012-08-27 20:04:53
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I definitely understand that feeling.

Coming up with ideas is one thing. I know this from experience. Ideas pop into my head pretty much every time I'm about to go to bed. Picking out which ideas are best to make a story and characters out of and putting them together is something else. Something that requires a lot of time, effort, and (this is probably going to sound weird) confidence that I never seem to be able to muster.
  • I have an overabundance of ideas. I write them down, then come back some time later to see if I still like the idea or if I my liking of it has vanished. I have an issue is that in many of my stories I have a lot of themes I want to stuff in there. However, I don't always utilize them efficiently, and the work as a whole becomes bloated.
  • I don't write often, but when I do, it's random bullshit that makes no sense.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I have loads of ideas, I try to write down the good ones and make them into a story.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm still amused at Maximillian Pegasus agreeing that challenging a newcomer to the game he invented "would be decidedly unfabulous."
  • Well if you're at all bemused I have done my job.

Still the things I write are closer to fabulations (anti-stories if you want to be insufferably pretentious) than anything. I can't do plot for shit and most of my characters barely exist.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know I've wanted to write something set at a boarding school for several years now, but I never had a plot that would make that setting interesting.
  • Apparently Japanese voters voted PaniPoniDash! the 14th greatest cartoon of all time.

For once, the Japanese public and I are in total agreement.

Tom & Jerry are also on this list, interestingly. Interesting because everything else is an anime.

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Really? PPD went over kind of lukewarm stateside, as if it was coasting on everyone's goodwill towards Azumanga (I liked both btw)
  • The sadness will last forever.
    bomb dogs
    sleep birds
    chewy buns
  • Well, Japan and America have rather different ideas of "funny", I guess. PPD is one of my favorite shows of all time, personally.

"you can use it to butter 687 different slices of toast, meow!"

baby one more time
    My loneliness is killing me
    (and I)
    I must confess, I still believe
    (still believe)
  • In Chapter 10 of the Yonkoma strip Inaba of the Moon & Inaba of the Earth, one of the few official derivative works in the Touhou series, child historian Akyuu asks resident moon rabbit Reisen if it was true that youkai rabbits could decapitate prey with their teeth and if their weakness was Holy Hand Grenades. If that wasn't enough, the title of the strip translates to Vorpal Bunny and the hand grenade in question is spelled, in English, HHG of Aunty Ock. This, asked of a character whose game was inspired by a classic Japanese folk tale.

There goes the "ZUN hates foreign devils" theories, folks.

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I dunno, I thought both Azumanga and PPD were pretty hilarious but every other so-called "comedy" anime out there is about as funny as cancer. I can't think of any typical American who'd find shit like Excel Saga or Urusei Yatsura to be funny in the least, but Azumanga and PPD would qualify because they actually have universal appeal.
  • I dunno. I find most comedy anime funny, but in more of a lightly amusing way than a laugh-out-loud way (what scenes I've seen of Nichijou are pretty funny but I've never bothered to sit down and watch the show, I'll wait for the dub thanks), and I'm not sure how many consider the former funny at all.

Excel Saga has the distinction of being the only show I've ever seen that I found too random for me.

• edited 2012-08-27 20:29:48
    CA: Taken out of context, that makes the song seem like it could be darker than it actually is.

Random Yahoo News headline I misread as "Jessica Alba goes blonde for no reason." YN is still doofy and I should make dinner so I can prevented myself from paying attention to it in the future.
  • Kafka on the Shore sounds like a good book. Unfortunately I will probably never be able to read it, and if my experiences with the Haruhi LNs are anything to go by, translating novels from Japanese into English tends to lead to a trainwreck anyway.
  • this is one of the best fanvids I've ever seen for anything

rather spoilery though

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ah~

ah~
  • I disapprove of fully online textbooks. They're a pain to read. :/
  • whelp, it's only the first school night of the year and I feel like a disappointment

that's got to be a new record
    you are mah rose
    woof!
  • I should really revisit Daedalus' Labyrinth someday. Was a good concept for a game but I just kind of got bored with it.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    you know what the heap needs

it needs automatically updating threads

'cuz that would be so cool, is why
    We tried that once, for about 10 minutes.

Of course at the time AU and Imi and I were the only ones who really posted here...
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    test it again, for science
  • I have Ovaltine.
  • Vshao said:

baby one more time

One more time, I'm gonna celebrate! Oh yeah, all right, don't stop the dancing!
    music's got me feelin' so free
  • music's got me feelin' so free

celebration
    tonight
    celebrate
    don't wait too late
  • edited 2012-08-27 22:06:46
    You know, now that I think about it, why are so many possessed by demon stories female based? The only one I can really think of with a guy getting possessed is The Amityville Horror
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Horror films are very much a boy's club.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I know a guy gets possessed in the first Phantasmagoria game (albeit by the ghost of a homicidal maniac and not a demon), but that's the only thing I can think of.

Then again, demon possession stories like that never really interested me.
  • I've never been really scarred by a horror film. I've been grossed out and occasionally irritated though.
  • Gator: I was just musing about it because of the naming off of The Exorcism of Emily Rose in another thread.

Few horror films really scare me. But, I can get freaked out by horror videogames.
  • edited 2012-08-27 22:41:39
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

Gator: I was just musing about it because of the naming off of The Exorcism of Emily Rose in another thread.

Few horror films really scare me. But, I can get freaked out by horror videogames.

I suspected as much.

I'm not into horror all that much, really. Judging from past experience, I think my reaction to most of it would be more so sadness, anger, or in some cases grossed out than scared.