The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    shredder
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    April.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    "yeah of course i can paint your ceiling." Michelangelo scoffed to himself, "gonna paint a bunch of dudes with they dick outs on it tho"
    pwned
    The Win 10 Creator's Update takes a little time.

And by little, I mean over an hour.
    Amazon just gave me a "delivery will be delayed" notification on my headphones. Despite the fact that I am currently wearing them on my head.
  • Amazon just gave me a "delivery will be delayed" notification on my headphones. Despite the fact that I am currently wearing them on my head.

yo what if that happened and they just fuckinnnn vanished off your ears

that would be some shit wouldn't it
  • I have this 11AM class that's basically IRL shitposting
    Can't believe Amazon was a portal to the Twilight Zone all along.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Alduin said:

I have this 11AM class that's basically IRL shitposting

how so
  • I literally made some bullshit about a tree singing "Twilight Zone" to me and they took it 100% seriously.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Alduin said:

I literally made some bullshit about a tree singing "Twilight Zone" to me and they took it 100% seriously.

Screen_Shot_2017_05_21_at_6.48.42_PM.png
  • So that was a weird dream that I've just had.

It started off with me, my sister, and my brother in law all piloting a tram. Well, brother in law was piloting the tram, sister was sat in front passenger side, and I was sat in back between the two front seats. We were diving the tram around Sheffield, but it didn't look like Sheffield but in my head, it was. Also, the teams didn't look like the Sheffield trams. The looked like some glorified lorry coach dragging along some coaches.

Anyway, it started raining, and for some reason, one half of a platform at a tram station we pull up at is covered in bats wrapped in blankets. Not small bats, freaking giant bats. We pull in at the second half of the platform, and brother in law gets out to apologise for missing the first half of the platform out, and my sister gets into the drivers seat. I leap out before she can drive off, but then I have to scramble to get back in, and my brother in law stars driving off again with my door wide open.

(That's part one. Part two is even stranger)
  • Part two of my dream is where the tram ride turns into a road trip of sorts, still with me, my sister, and my brother in law. We start driving along a busy A road in Chesterfield, of all places, which I have only ever passed through but never been in. Whilst we're passing through, at the place where there's a big Tesco was instead giant hammocks. And then instead of being on a giant lorry/tram hybrid, we're not flying along in these giant hammocks. As we're cruising along, I point out a large mansion, that turned out to be several smaller, derelict manor houses, with some ruined counsel flats in top. They were so derelict that they had no flooring, just grass. And then, the giant giant hammock someone turns into brother is law's car, as we're driving through a town and I'm saying something that turns into "oh shit" as we reach a level crossing in the middle of the town. The lights were flashing two greens, and on the other side of the road I could see a normal tram passing by, but on the side in front of us, there was a train that was travelling backwards that had a small steam train engine secured to it at a 45 degree angle.

At this point I woke up.
    a 45 degree angle, eh
    Blade Runner 2049 is getting rave reviews, which is, uh, unexpected to say the least.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Huuuuuuuh.
  • Blade Runner 2049 is getting rave reviews, which is, uh, unexpected to say the least.

is that the anime one or somethin else
    The new movie.
    It's by the Arrival guy, so of course
    On that note, TIL he's directing a Dune movie.
    Jane said:

Blade Runner 2049 is getting rave reviews, which is, uh, unexpected to say the least.

Nah that's somethin' else, 2022 or some shit, like Tensei said this is the new one, with..... Ryan Gosling??

Hunh.
  • On that note, TIL he's directing a Dune movie.

*perks up*
  • kill living beings
    Crystal said:

Jane said:

Nah that's somethin' else, 2022 or some shit, like Tensei said this is the new one, with..... Ryan Gosling??

Hunh.
    haven't heard of this but already sounds Pretty Sick
  • hell is doing 5 solid hours of technical drawing
    like tears in rain
    i have legit no idea why this makes me feel as emotional as it does

i don't think it's the context in-game, it's something about the sound that gets to me

just like, damn
    i thought it was about an hour later than it actually was and i panicked and rushed and now i have bags of time but i'm feeling sorta flustered and wrong-footed
    bags of time...interesting concept
    They're used for seasoning vintage meals.
    Those're always pretty timeless, I say.
    funbags of time

imipost
    The Legend of Zelda: Bags of Time

well, to work i go
    hi ho, hi ho
    I'm weirdly lucid and not tired right now, which is odd considering I slept late-ish. Looking forward to napping after class.
    "What a great person they're." is grammatically correct and you're going to be plagued by that knowledge for the rest of your life, yes you're.
  • Eh. If anything the sentence composed of nothing but the word “Buffalo” is more life-plaguing.
  • kill living beings
    the whole point of "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" was to show that some sentences are "incorrect" despite being grammatical

but i'm thinking that might be a better example tensei
  • edited 2017-09-27 23:12:24

"What a great person they're." is grammatically correct and you're going to be plagued by that knowledge for the rest of your life, yes you're.

In what way though? Most people probably would not think that sounds right, and that's basically all that being grammatically correct means unleeeeeeeeeeess you're some kind of... linguistic prescriptivist.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My bedroom TV only has one composite video input, but I have at least three devices that use composite video.

So I just took to labeling each of the cables so I can swap them out without having to trace each one back every single time.
  • I’m in a linguistics class this semester and my TA hates Chomsky’s theories because he’s a Korea native and says that most of his ideas just straight up don’t apply in his original language

which is fair, I suppose, though I find myself neutral or mildly positive on Chomsky at most
    linguistic descriptive would rather let a thousand useful words die and make a language completely impossible for non-native speakers to learn than tell a single person that it's "could not care less" instead of "could care less"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I STOLE A DANGEROUS BLADE BECAUSE I AM A REBEL

...by which I mean, I forgot to return a cheap-ass boxcutter to my shift supervisor when I quit my job.
  • edited 2017-09-28 00:18:27

TBF I don’t think there’s any seasoned linguist that is purely descriptivist

I do think that people who go ‘lol language changes all the time fuck grammar’ are a bunch of pissants tho’
  • kill living beings
    Odradek said:

linguistic descriptive would rather let a thousand useful words die and make a language completely impossible for non-native speakers to learn than tell a single person that it's "could not care less" instead of "could care less"

you lost this war with "inflammable"
    moo
  • SF_Sorrow said:

TBF I don’t think there’s any seasoned linguist that is purely descriptivist

I'm...under the impression that they pretty much all are?