General Video Game Thread

Comments

• keep circulating the tapes etc
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Wow, I'm glad I got it when I did!

*makes 29 backup copies*
  • And it's been taken down by order of Nintendo, which isn't surprising in the slightest, since they do have to protect their IP in the end. Considering how long the project was going on for, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited till the very last minute just so they could put up appearances of stopping it whilst still getting it out there.
    it appears to be back up.
    Nah, it's still gone. The download, anyway. There is a message about it from the remake creator, though.
  • Things pretty much every game should have:
    *a boss rush mode
    *alt costumes on subsequent playthroughs
    *extremely minor story branching influenced by esoteric mechanics (eg the relationship values in Final Fantasy X that determine who you ride with to Macalenia Temple)
    *extensively detailed metrics and rankings (eg the results screen at the end of Metal Gear Solid)
  • edited 2016-08-12 23:40:24

* you can fuck a legendary pokemon

(just my imo...)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-13 01:19:47
    I was going to ಠ_ಠ but then I remembered Latias is probably still tied for the furthest anyone's ever gotten with Ash...

dammit nintendo
    If anyone's interested in the Metroid 2 remake, an updated version is currently up.

http://am2r.freeforums.org/post25265.html

Better get it before the big N shuts that shit down
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Man, Futaba is tiny. Which further proves that she's an inkling in disguise.
  • you're making me think of two different Futabas, both named Aoi, lol.
  • FYI for the AM2R update: the versions on Mega and DropBox are gone now.

(others may still be available but i will not confirm them here)
  • edited 2016-08-17 16:50:06
    Crystal said:
    404: Not Found!

Seems like it's been taken down, but not before making a huge enough splash that Business Insider took notice: http://www.businessinsider.com/pokemon-uranium-fan-game-shut-down-by-nintendo-2016-8
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    RIP.
  • all of this hullabaloo

I played the uranium beta a while back and the only thing I remember from it was how shockingly bad the original pokemon designs were

not the art itself mind you, that was mediocre but acceptable
  • is that the one that's grounded in reality and full of real world problems
  • I don't think so? can't remember honestly, I only played a little bit because I didn't like the new pokes

I remember playing a fan game which was very grimderp, they let professor oak say fuck
    I'm unfamiliar with Pokemon fan games and have largely avoided them for the past several years, though I used to enjoy at least reading about them way back when I was at my peak or thereabouts. But maybe? I don't think so...

Mostly I was a little surprised, and found it a little cute to see such an obvious fan game on itch.io (which by the way is fun as heck to say).
  • pokemon uranium has been in the news a bunch lately, Kotaku wrote an article about it, Nintendo sent takedown notices, and have now been playing whack-a-mole for a while
  • Jane said:

is that the one that's grounded in reality and full of real world problems

I should point out that this is a meme and I wasn't actually asking a question
    Lucky me, that sounded vaguely familiar and now I am sharing this fan game.
  • oh

is there a specific pokemon fangame that does claim to be those things?
  • oh

is there a specific pokemon fangame that does claim to be those things?

yes but I don't know which one

these are NLSS memes. Deep Memes
    Deep and hearty memes. Memes for the soul.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Deep and Hardy Meems. They're identical cousins with a secret identity.
  • I remember Quartz tried to be adult and...well, LOL.
  • edited 2016-08-17 18:39:12
    Unfortunately, many people's idea of an "adult" game is "let's cram a bunch of swearwords into this and add as many sexual references as we can think of".

This is a thirteen-year-old's idea of being an adult, but then again, the types of people who tend to want these sorts of games are thirteen-year-olds.
  • But not us, we're better than that.
    We have the maturity of fourteen year olds.
  • Oh, Inkling look in FFXIV? Or another RPG?
    Yeah, it's FF.
    TitleName said:

But not us, we're better than that.
    We have the maturity of fourteen year olds.

I chuckled, thanks.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-18 22:42:01
    Much as I'm enjoying Trails SC, good lord the PSVita Evolution release botched most of the soundtrack.

Like, FC Evo was a grab bag of questionable-to-amazing reorchestrations, but SC Evo is mostly awful-to-okay.  Which is really sad because SC's original soundtrack is fucking beautiful.

Also I just realized that promo picture doesn't have Olivier, despite his role in this game being nearly as prominent as your partner's.
  • This one's actually kind of old, but I only just found it recently, so here's WhatCulture's list of 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications for anybody who's interested. (And for people who want to avoid having endings to games they plan to play spoiled, the games talked about are: Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 2, Medal Of Honor: Warfighter, Uncharted 2, Streets of Rage, Freedom Fighters, Conduit 2, Lee's ending in Tekken 5, ANY Zelda game, and Super Mario Bros. 3.)

• there are like 20,000 of these videos and it's usually just some person explaining the ending and then they go "but if you really think about it" and then tell u a huge reach.
    Yeah.
    what's wrong with the ending of SMB3
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-20 04:26:38
    How dare Link kill all those giant monsters that are literally made of pure evil made manifest and were deliberately placed in key areas of extreme magical power to undermine the fundaments of reality itself ENDANGERED SPECIES YO

Like, Ocarina of Time alone?  Two giant parasites created for the express purpose of murdering guardian deities, a magical clone of the villain himself, a resurrected dragon that already terrorized the area before, a motherfucking demon eyeball that attempted genocide by trashing an entire climate zone, some kind of crazy death god with a thing for torture racks and large blood smears on the wall, and the bad guy's foster parents who are just as fucked up as he is.  The only one that might be considered exotic fauna that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time was Dodongo.

what's wrong with the ending of SMB3

Mario KILLS CHILDREN and That Is Bad. #wow #makesyouthink
  • Bee said:

How dare Link kill all those giant monsters that are literally made of pure evil made manifest and were deliberately placed in key areas of extreme magical power to undermine the fundaments of reality itself ENDANGERED SPECIES YO

Like, Ocarina of Time alone?  Two giant parasites created for the express purpose of murdering guardian deities, a magical clone of the villain himself, a resurrected dragon that already terrorized the area before, a motherfucking demon eyeball that attempted genocide by trashing an entire climate zone, some kind of crazy death god with a thing for torture racks and large blood smears on the wall, and the bad guy's foster parents who are just as fucked up as he is.  The only one that might be considered exotic fauna that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time was Dodongo.
    man I played oot like two months ago and I've already forgotten who most of the bosses were
  • edited 2016-08-20 06:20:18
    Hmm, that went over a lot worse than I thought it would.

@Jane: It isn't the first list like this I've ever seen (I'm sure that Cracked did one at some point which I read, for one), but I guess I haven't seen enough of them to be sick of them or anything.

Anyway, I thought that there were at least some good points in there, like how becoming the new boss by killing the entire army of the old boss before replacing him just means that you're the boss of nothing. I haven't played Streets of Rage, but I played another game (GTA: Vice City) where halfway through I killed all of this guy's mooks before finally killing him and taking over his empire. After that I had plenty of mooks working under me, but I was wondering "Uh, where did all these replacement mooks come from?"

EDIT: @Imipolex G: The logic was that sure, Bowser's bad for teaching his kids to be evil, but the Koopa Kids just had the bad luck to be raised by a guy who would teach them to be evil. Which is kind of backed up in at least one other game, I believe.
    ah.

Well, they do come back for the next game.
    I have played Streets of Rage and I think more games should give you the option to become the bad guy
  • ah.

Well, they do come back for the next game.

True, and I've watched a Let's Play of New Super Mario Bros. Wii (by PinkKittyRose, if you were wondering), so I know that game not only features them all, but you see that they and their father are all alive at the end of it. So I guess whatever effect getting beaten by Mario has doesn't actually kill them, even if it looks that way.
  • i just find issues of implications and canonicity to be pretty much entirely up to interpretation, and besides, i have a personal preference against darker-and-edgier (re)interpretations

also i just hate clickbait on principle
  • I should first note that I have nothing against elves, imperials, cats, or any others.

In a world not composed entirely of all things horrid, wretched, acidic, and bile-ridden, this would be the start of a piece of satire. Instead, in this world we live in, infested to its core with writhing maggots, it is serious. It's fucking serious. I'm so angry and sad.
    Gross.