General Video Game Thread

Comments

• I do not know what to make of Rayman Origins.

It seems to expect me to just know how to do everything? 

Put another way, it took me some time to figure out that the loading screen was not a level. 

Also I don't really dig the Nicktoon aesthetic, and everyone speaking in pig latin bothers me far more than it reasonably should.

As a game, it seems mostly fine? I don't really like how Rayman controls, he seems rather slow. Also there are a lot of collectibles which will either bother me or not depending on how expected I am to actually, you know, collect them. The platforming itself is sort of floaty but I feel like that's on purpose.
  • ah I can run now, that makes things much better.

The actual levels are very pretty. I like waterfalls and such.
  • I am blue now? I don't know what this means.
  • Did you jump into a bubble at the Snoring Tree? Those are the player character skins.

Everyone controls exactly the same anyway so it doesn't matter too much, you can kinda just pick who you like best. (Me being me, I usually just stick with Ray's normal outfit.)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

i think i'm playing it wrong
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Jane said:

I do not know what to make of Rayman Origins.

It seems to expect me to just know how to do everything? 

Put another way, it took me some time to figure out that the loading screen was not a level. 

Also I don't really dig the Nicktoon aesthetic, and everyone speaking in pig latin bothers me far more than it reasonably should.

As a game, it seems mostly fine? I don't really like how Rayman controls, he seems rather slow. Also there are a lot of collectibles which will either bother me or not depending on how expected I am to actually, you know, collect them. The platforming itself is sort of floaty but I feel like that's on purpose.
    The game's kinda more about maintaining a good forward momentum than precision platforming
  • Yeah I noticed it automates a lot of things? Like springs always bounce you in the 'correct' direction for instance and there's basically been no backtracking at all thusfar. Granted I'm only a few levels in.
    I mean there is precision platforming, but maintaining a good momentum is a big part of getting it right
  • It's precision platforming based around discrete momentum intervals -- much smoother than you'd see in the recent Donkey Kong Country games where you basically fling yourself around with roll-jumps and hope you've accurately memorized your destination.
  • Okay, I'm getting caught up on James And Mike Mondays, and this game is demented AF. Who's heard of "Who's Your Daddy?"?

• I have. The NLSS crew plays it sometimes.

It actually seems kinda fun. If hilariously shoestring.
  • It does look like it's too easy for the person playing the baby, although the TVT page for it says it's still in beta, so the finished product might change that.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane said:

I have. The NLSS crew plays it sometimes.

It actually seems kinda fun. If hilariously shoestring.
    Pretty much this. Looks like it'd be fun with friends, possibly while drunk, or when you're just in the mood for something goofy. Much like Duck Game, which I also quite enjoy watching on the NLSS here and there.
  • It does look like it's too easy for the person playing the baby, although the TVT page for it says it's still in beta, so the finished product might change that.

actually if I'm not mistaken it's still in alpha, but when one is discussing a Steam Early Access game the terms are rather interchangeable.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I find it sort of odd how being short is almost universally used to criticize a game. I can understand wanting the play time to be reasonable for the money spent on it, but honestly, I'm pretty busy for the most part. 

It's honestly pretty awesome when I can have a fully fleshed out game experience in just 2-5 hours or so. Longer than that and I risk setting it aside for too long and forgetting where I'm at in it. 

This is prompted by The Beginner's Guide, which is largely a walking simulator with narration kind of game. It's about an hour and a half, which is a great length for me since I can play it in one evening and still have time to make dinner, relax a little, AND get to sleep on time. 
  • The Beginner's Guide is....fine, and I approve of anything that experiments with the medium, but it's one of those things where the people who are really into it have kinda diminished my opinion of the thing itself.

Also, like, its creator's refusal to break character almost got his game pulled for plagiarism.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I'm overall pretty removed from the "gaming community" at large, so I fortunately haven't experienced that. It's nice to be able to like it for what it is. 

That's actually sorta funny. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like games that are relatively short (maybe 2-3 hours) but can be replayed different ways.

that's my ideal, anyway
  • I find it sort of odd how being short is almost universally used to criticize a game. I can understand wanting the play time to be reasonable for the money spent on it, but honestly, I'm pretty busy for the most part. 

It's honestly pretty awesome when I can have a fully fleshed out game experience in just 2-5 hours or so. Longer than that and I risk setting it aside for too long and forgetting where I'm at in it. 

This is prompted by The Beginner's Guide, which is largely a walking simulator with narration kind of game. It's about an hour and a half, which is a great length for me since I can play it in one evening and still have time to make dinner, relax a little, AND get to sleep on time. 
    My favorite game (which I will leave unsaid because Jesus Christ I talk about it too much) is one of these. At max a four hour experience (less if you're good at it), but pretty replayable and a more satisfying, memorable experience in its runtime than many a platformer multiple times its length.
  • The Elder Scrolls is one of the veeery few series of long games I have the patience for. Otherwise I have immense preference for a game that knows when the fuck to end.
  • Have you ever watched a Lets Play where the player was really, really bad at the game?  And it's funny at first when the game is forgiving but gets irritating when they start getting to actually hard stuff?  But then eventually you just see this one moment where it clicks and suddenly they're surprisingly competent?

It's a really nice thing to watch :)
  • The only one that comes to mind is iJustine playing "Portal 2", and I only saw a few minutes of that.

I was thinking about making a thread about Let's Plays, actually, but I guess it'd be good to find out first if this is the place to talk about them or not.
    Post it
  • edited 2016-08-27 12:51:20
    Odradek said:

Post it

Okay. Now, I think the original videos have been taken down and it was a bit difficult to find one without commentary that was too mean-spirited. This one has the word "retard" used several times to describe her, but apart from that, it isn't particularly offensive and doesn't have the uploader completely drowning her out as she struggles to figure out the bare basics of how the game works.

Kexruct said:
    An Osamu Tezuka CCG that has music by Giorgio Moroder it turns out
  • Portal 2 is a game I suggest that people play after the first Portal.
  • also i need to play Portal 2 but I haven't mainly because it gives me a lot of nausea
  • also i need to play Portal 2 but I haven't mainly because it gives me a lot of nausea

I have an irl friend who also had this problem.
  • iJustine 

OOF.  Okay, maybe not that bad T_T
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The name of FFXIV patch 3.4 is absolutely amazing and I'm still not over it.

• I'm loving the ARG stuff over Sombra in Overwatch. So many sleuths. :o
  • QUIEN ES SOMBRA
  • That's what we're trying to figure out :p
  • So here's a video, and in the next post I'll embed the start of a Let's Play by the person who made it, which I liked watching.

• edited 2016-08-29 09:32:22
    Hercrabbiness & Resulka play Phantasmagoria, first part:

• The first time I heard the name "Phantasmagoria" was in reference to the Sierra PC game.
  • edited 2016-08-29 20:24:09
    I didn't actually know that it could refer to anything else. I sure never heard it apart from that.

Anyway, if you liked that video here's the link to the playlist for the whole LP. Link.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yes, same.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-30 19:29:10
    I love how in Trails SC, Estelle has long since stopped giving the slightest fraction of fucks about offending Duke Dunan.  I mean I guess after you storm a guy's castle to interrupt his coup d'etat and confuse his guards into nearly taking his head off with a halberd there's only so much use for tact, but this is goddamn beautiful.

It's also weird but oddly satisfying to see Olivier of all people turn out to be a surprisingly complex character.  We knew from fairly early in FC that he's an Erebonian spy, but appears to rather openly oppose their more party-van tendencies.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-31 03:46:18
    Just finished the Koholint map in Hyrule Warriors, just a couple days before the Phantom Hourglass / Spirit Tracks DLC drops.  I liked this map.  Most of the missions were short and fun, and it cut out a lot of item grinding bullshit (what little you did have to do was available on quick 1-minute maps).

The only bad thing is that most of the maps seem to still be pushing 4000 damage limit for A-rank, which is a bit absurd when everything on the map hits you for 800+ and poor Marin has to do missions like this with her piddly weapon to get decent ones.

I'm still wondering why they raised the level cap here.  Link and Sheik are the only ones who've actually broken 100 (Sheik only for the skulltulas), and I have only a few more more that broke 90 (Ruto, Zelda, Young Link, and I dojo'd up Linkle because her rank 4 boots mission was kinda crap).  Hell, I used Volga for half the map and he's still not 90.  A couple of the end missions got a bit armor heavy, but I'm still getting by just fine with the 0-star tier 4's.
  • edited 2016-09-01 20:07:43
    Hey Imi

you've played AM2R right?

do you know of an effective way of dealing with those shield drones in the Power Plant?  the ones who always point their yellow shield at you and fire blue electric orbs at you
  • edited 2016-09-01 20:22:42
    also is there anything to pick up in the power plant aside from the PBs, before the place gets blown to hell?

and is the passage that runs horizontal through the elevator shaft explored before or after the place gets blown to hell?
  • edited 2016-09-02 02:49:50
    Touch the cow. Do it now.

Hey Imi

you've played AM2R right?

do you know of an effective way of dealing with those shield drones in the Power Plant?  the ones who always point their yellow shield at you and fire blue electric orbs at you

Personally I just run away from the fuckers. Once you get the plasma beam, though, you can kill them pretty easily.

also is there anything to pick up in the power plant aside from the PBs, before the place gets blown to hell?

and is the passage that runs horizontal through the elevator shaft explored before or after the place gets blown to hell?

Before: only peanut butters...er, power bombs.

After: well...a couple more things. Go back down!

The horizontal passage is a later destination.
  • The horizontal passage is a later destination.

mzm_unknown_item_fanfare.wav
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ooOOOoohhh spooky