General Video Game Thread

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Like, throughout the first half of the game you're out hunting werewolves. It's tough, and unforgiving, but anything you can see, you can kill. There are weird, dreamlike things, and stuff that doesn't seem to make sense, but you'd be forgiven for thinking it's just a gameplay thing. Then eventually, you can walk out of the church you've walked in and out of a hundred times, look up at the night sky, and see this thing perched on the side of a chapel.

You can't hurt it. The only time it might possibly care about you is if you stand in a certain spot, and if that happens it will just leisurely pick you up, make your brain hemorrhage with its gaze, and then drop you as if bored.

And them when you go into the grand cathedral and see, instead of angels, stone figures like it along the sides, you start to realize there's more going on than you can deal with

025+-+Grand+Cathedral+.jpg
  • I think I'm more likely to enjoy Bloodborne than Dark Souls, but that's because Bloodborne seems to have faster action combat.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Souls combat has been getting faster ever since Demon's Souls, with DS3 being the second fastest
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

my issue is defs Too Good To Use Syndrome

Y'know, thinking about it, it's odd how when I play video games that have a mana bar or similar, I'm fine with casually using magic even though you need pick-ups to replenish it, but I can't think of using even very common items in the same way. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-21 23:00:48
    Usually because magic is tuned in a way that you literally can't get through without it.  Items usually feel optional, or like they're supposed to compensate for fucking up.

In Super Mystery Dungeon, they're your lifeline.  The stuff the game throws at you is just too strong until your mid-20's, and even then you can get fucked up hard and fast.

Also this thing, spoiler for big picture.

Spoiler:
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Playing Roguelikes gets you out of that too good to use mentality REALLY quickly

Can't use all your health potions if you're dead
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    imageimage

This goddamn game.

(Context: A quest to deliver 8 mushrooms starts you in the same zone as Glavenus. Glavenus is the final boss. You are not even halfway through the game.)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-22 00:32:03
    It's pretty typical for MH games to ambush you with the final boss or one of its other stars early on and telling you to retreat.

MH4 did that several times, actually.  And when it did it with Seregios, you probably could've won without much trouble because Seregios is really easy.
    Bee said:

It's pretty typical for MH games to ambush you with the final boss or one of its other stars early on and telling you to retreat.

MH4 did that several times, actually.  And when it did it with Seregios, you probably could've won without much trouble because Seregios is really easy.
    They don't generally do it quite like that though.
  • edited 2016-07-22 00:51:25
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Makes me think of Two Worlds. For some reason, the final boss is just chilling in a field near the start of the game and if you trick some nearby peasants to kill it you can beat the game in like 3 minutes.

(Though I think it's a glitch. But still.)

It's weird. Even though I hate fighting Cephadrome, I love the fight with Nibbles. Maybe it's just cause he's a big goofy fish. Bit like Zammy, really.
  • starbound 1.0 is out now
    Hunt 2 Khezu
    GO DIE IN A FIRE
  • just beat cobalion

he was one touch cookie
  • little-known poke-fact: "vibrava" is Esperanto for "douchebag"
  • wow, what a plot twist. I totally didn't see that coming from the very beginning of the game. what a shocker.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the princess is in another castle.
  • ok now I'm in pokehell
  • ok now I'm in pokehell

did you hack your starter into mewtwo?
  • no I died and went to hell
  • "dark matter is the source of all woe"

WE PHYSICS NOW BOYS
  • Hunt 2 Khezu
    GO DIE IN A FIRE
    nah just use raw
  • wow, what a plot twist. I totally didn't see that coming from the very beginning of the game. what a shocker.

there was a second plot twist. I expected this one less.
  • Hunt 2 Khezu
    GO DIE IN A FIRE
    dung bombs m8
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-25 04:31:02

no I died and went to hell

He's not exaggerating.  That is an actual thing that happens in that game.

Tell me when you finish the game.  I don't want to spoil anything -- it's foreshadowed enough that you can probably predict the final twist, but I don't want to risk it.
  • I'm at crappy kingdra and octillery snipe you for MASSIVE DAMAGE dungeon
  • Oh yeah the Hydro Pump spam.  Pounce wands are your best friend.  Your teammates will usually kill them when you all get warped to the target.
  • btw what level should I be at at this juncture? I'm at level 19 and it seems a tad low...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-25 05:00:30
    I finished the game around level 27-ish.  But I was also kinda ballsy about the expeditions I went on, and got a couple really good scores with motivated teams (one of which included your best friend Salamence right after Sand Continent opened up) and it got a boatload of XP.

Honestly Oran berries and permanent stat boosters mean more than levels.  And both you and your partner should each have a solid buff.  You said a Fennekin is you, so hopefully you pick up Light Screen pretty soon.  I was a Totodile and got Swords Dance, which ROCKED.  I know Pikachu gets Nasty Plot, because I abused the hell out of Raichu and Thunderbolt for monster house ambushes.

Also remember you can force buff moves in an Alliance.
  • update I'm at the flying tree

time to kick some ass
  • wow it went full jrpg

was actually not that hard tho
  • dat ending

;_;
  • final plot-twist and credit roll

oh jeez why you gotta CRUELLY INVERT THE PLOT FORMULAAAAAAA ;_;
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-25 07:35:12
    They totally fuck with you about it too, right before flipping it around and punching you in the gut even worse than usual.

Of course this also means the entire game is an elaborate plot device to ship the player with a legendary.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what game are you even playing
  • Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

As far as bad ideas go, using a Tegra X1 in a handheld console is pretty high up there.
  • http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

As far as bad ideas go, using a Tegra X1 in a handheld console is pretty high up there.

Why's that?
    It eats power like it's going out of fashion. We're talking 5-8W here, with spikes up to 11W.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-26 16:49:16
    Yeah, for the kind of power that thing uses, the NX is going to be about as portable as Strong Bad's Lappy 486 (with a battery life of one half of ten minutes!)
  • That's a problem, but portable game consoles are mostly played at home anyway so I won't be toooo bothered by it. Maybe? 
  • whether that's A Big Issue or not depends on whether it can be plugged in IMO.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-26 22:02:47
    My main concern is that they're going to try and let the NX dominate both their console and handheld markets.  It'll be too bulky and resource intensive to be a good portable, and too pared down for mobile play to be a good console.
  • The NX is like a standalone thing, is it not? I don't think this is their next-gen offering certainly.
  • edited 2016-07-26 22:32:50
    Apparently Overwatch players hate Bastion the portable robot turret.

Meanwhile I'm mowing down players left and right with Bastion. :D
  • why isn't there a "no hat" option in Pokemon X
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I dunno, really.
  • why isn't there a "no hat" option in Pokemon X

I believe GameFreak's official explanation for this, and I'm not trying to tell a joke here, is that hats make your character look like a protagonist.
  • Jane said:

why isn't there a "no hat" option in Pokemon X

I believe GameFreak's official explanation for this, and I'm not trying to tell a joke here, is that hats make your character look like a protagonist.
    HEAVY DISAGREE.  HEAVY IS FACE OF TEAM FORTRESS TWO AND SHOWS OFF BEAUTIFUL BALD HEAD.
  • Jane said:

why isn't there a "no hat" option in Pokemon X

You weren't trying to tell a joke but I'm sure several of us laughed a little. 

I mean, that's pretty good.