General Video Game Thread

Comments

• what about those mysterious locked doors located next to chozo wall sculptures?

is that also mzm_unknown_item_fanfare.wav?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    There are certain locked doors you can't open until late in the game.

It'll be pretty obvious when you can, though.
  • Have you 100%'d the game?
  • also, just a couple, or perhaps more?
    I have 100%'d the game several times.

There are precisely two items in the blown to hell ruins.
  • edited 2016-09-02 08:35:37
    How do I bounce a power cell without being able to lay a bomb directly next to it?

I have to somehow guide it over yay-there, but I can't shoot it either.

Edit: Wait, I can shoot it a different way.
  • F.E.A.R. is good so far. I like older FPSes in this style.

It's not terribly scary so far which I'm fine with. It's more about building in-the-moment dread and then shocking you than it is building up like "I could die any moment" Amnesia The Dark Descent type terror. 
  • Also the AI is like, really good? Especially for something that came out in 2006.

Game looks great for its age too, especially considering I'm not playing with everything cranked to maximum (I will say if you turn everything down all the way it looks like Doom, which is not good for a game that came out ten years after Doom).

Honestly my main complaint so far is technical. The longer I play the framier it seems to get, and if I restart the problem is just fixed magically. It's very strange.
  • edited 2016-09-02 09:11:45
    CLEAR TIME 06:41:11
    ITEM COLLECTION 94%
    Good job!

Personally I've done 100% in around 1:50 or so.
  • Now I have to figure out where those remaining 6% are.
  • edited 2016-09-02 20:09:44
    I found five things I was missing!  And now I'm at 100%.  How does that work?  Is that like that "once you cover it all you get an extra 1%" thing with the energy tanks?

also apparently the game is up to version 1.41 now wait no that's the prerelease that i'm looking at, being played in june
  • FEAR is still pretty good. Little on the repetitive side but I understand them not wanting to introduce new enemies too early. There's something inherently comical about the replica soldiers, I think it's the weird deep voice and how they flop around when they die. Also they only ever say like six things but that's standard for FPS enemies.

The weird little robot mannequins on the other hand, those are creepy.

I found five things I was missing!  And now I'm at 100%.  How does that work?  Is that like that "once you cover it all you get an extra 1%" thing with the energy tanks?

There aren't exactly 100 items, more like 80-something, I think. So each one is worth slightly more than 1%.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-03 01:58:04
    Great Travels DLC is out for Hyrule Warriors.  Toon Zelda is fun, but the new adventure map is kind of overtuned.  Koholint raised the level cap by half of the original, but the map didn't really necessitate digging into it at all.  This one raised it again and seems to actually be expecting you to walk in with a team of 150's, and fuck that if it gets much worse than it is now.

Worse, the loot seems to be skewed toward food, which is borderline useless at this point in the game because you already have badass fairies.
  • Anyone heard of No Man's Sky?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's been all over the news since ever, so.
  • What the hell happened to it?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It didn't live up to the hype, on the grounds that that was literally impossible for it to do.
  • From what I have heard, NMS is a game with non-simultaneous multiplayer, and apparently it was advertised as having multiplayer, and people were angry that it didn't.

Or something like that?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-03 18:36:26
    So basically it's Master of Orion 3.

This is why I don't like it when studios hype things to hell and back.  It's all done by marketing teams, and those have a tendency to overpromise without consulting engineers.

EDIT: oh God I just looked at the numbers.  It started out with one of the largest simultaneous playerbases ever on Steam, then tanked by 90% within a week.  Steam even had to add a reiteration of their refund policy to the store page.  OUCH.
    As far as I can tell, they did hype it up a fair fair bit, but that was them promptly dwarfed by the uncontrollable frenzy that was fan/interest hype for something like this.
  • edited 2016-09-03 18:52:12
    So basically the problem with MN9 all over again, what with marketers starting the hype machine, then fans working themselves up on it to insanity, then crashing.
  • At least with MN9 you knew what was going to be delivered.  Most of the criticism was that it was too similar to Mega Man, which...I mean, wtf did you expect when the Mega Man lead everything goes off to make a Mega Man clone?
  • I actually checked out more on what happened with No Man's Sky.

One of the major features they hyped was factional space combat, where you could take sides mid battle.

Did not make it to the final product. Lots of fans are bewildered. It's like taking away lightsabers from a Star Wars game to them.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-03 20:34:55
    See, that's the kind of thing that annoys me the most.  If you're going to hype features, fine.  If you run out of time or hit a major last-minute bug and need to patch it in later, fine -- just fucking say so ahead of time.  Fans appreciate honesty more than springing missing shit on them.  Much as I dislike the Destiny business model of "release an obvious beta and patch in the actual content", be upfront about it.

What bewilders me is that it seems like the game released in approximately the same state as the E3 trailer back in 2014.  What's been going on?
  • Popular rumor is that there was a lot of meddling from Sony (the gamedev studio proper, Hello Games, is exactly 10 people).

In spite of its bad reputation it does seem to have garnered a small but loyal following. It's doing fine.
    Except the space combat is in the game, so...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-03 21:10:48
    So the gimmick on the Great Travels map in Hyrule Warriors is really pointless.  Every 9 missions, the Phantom Hourglass runs out and applies a curse that makes all path unlocks require A-rank, and the curse remains until you fight a giant boss in one of the temples to refill the hourglass.

But like...you were going to compulsively A-rank everything anyway, because almost all the rewards and good paths are already tied to it.  For the entire game so far, anything less than A-rank is basically a loss unless you were redoing the map for an item card, skulltula, or materials.  It might even be worse than a loss, because losing outright doesn't make you sit through loading screens.

Half the items on the map are buffs that lower rank requirement.  It's worth approximately the length of Wizzro's dick because it doesn't tell how much extra slip room it gives you.  So when supercharged Midna lunges across the room and ganks you for 5000 health, you don't actually know whether you need to restart, or if finishing the mission will be a waste of time.  The only real use for these items is to sell to Beedle for slightly less useless food.

That's not even the silliest part.  The map gimmick sounds great in theory.  It's split in half between a Phantom Hourglass Great Sea, and a Spirit Tracks frontier, and gives you a start point in both.  The main objective of the map is to hunt down the two Giant Bosses (which is confusing because they've all been referred to throughout the game so far as Giant Bosses, but there are two specific ones you need), one on each half of the map, which stops the Hourglass and opens up the center of the map for the finale.  So you're expecting to have to press up through both halves of the map, daisy chaining through temples to manage the Hourglass until you hit two "final" bosses.  Okay, fine.

Except the bosses you're looking for are within throwing distance of both start points.  I started in the sea, and the second temple I hit told me it was the one I was looking for.  Moved to the frontier, and the first one I headed toward was the other one (the other frontier temples weren't even visible yet).  Gimmick over.  I'd done a quarter or less of each half of the map.

At least Toon Zelda is still fun.  Though needing Ganon materials for all of her badges is kind of a downer.
  • Dogfight space combat. What they showed at E3 last year was a space battle between cruisers, frigates, and battleships. In the final product, the most you'll get is a cruiser or frigate out in the background that you can't reach.
  • edited 2016-09-03 21:14:46
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Serocco3 said:

Dogfight space combat. What they showed at E3 last year was a space battle between cruisers, frigates, and battleships. In the final product, the most you'll get is a cruiser or frigate out in the background that you can't reach.

There is literal video proof to the contrary.
  • I can also say I really like the Great Travels map's retro remix of the Spirit Tracks overworld theme, which is one of my favorites in the series even if the game was pretty mediocre.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • There's the space fight. But still no faction fighting. >:(
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-04 05:29:08
    Even the space fight looks like a standard dogfight with the frigate just kind of...there?  It isn't exactly doing much.

Eh, too little info to tell how deep the space combat can get.
  • hay gaiz

Nucular Throne is pretty ballr

I got to 3-2 as Fish on my last run before one of those nasty crows got me. 209 kills. Best one yet, though I'm hoping next time I play I can get further.
  • edited 2016-09-04 06:28:47
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've made it to the Throne a few times and always died until I was dead. 10/10.
  • I don't mind. Game's lowkey been out for two years now and I started perusing the Wikia long before I started playing (because YV), so.
    Ah, you're right! Thanks for catching it, I am drowsy and kiiiind of forgot that it still technically is.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-04 17:55:21
    Speaking as someone who has never played the game and knows literally nothing about it, I'm not sure how much of a spoiler it is to mention that there's a throne in a game called ______ Throne.
    OH MY CRAP THERE'S A THRONE????
  • Bee said:

Speaking as someone who has never played the game and knows literally nothing about it, I'm not sure how much of a spoiler it is to mention that there's a throne in a game called ______ Throne.

Well, the spoiler isn't so much that the Throne exists so much as it is that it's the final boss of a run, unless you manage to beat it, in which case the game loops.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-05 03:17:19
    See, to me, a spoiler would be if the throne isn't real; it was in your heart all along.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-05 07:03:17
    Finished Chapter 3 of Trails SC.  Continuing to be amazed that Olivier is turning out to be a complex character.  Also I enjoy how they're sort of pairing off individual Enforcers as rivals to the Bracers.  Makes it a lot more personal than just having Estelle working her way up to a rampage through their ranks.

That last couple fights involved a lot of bloody chunks flying around.  I mean it worked really well when fighting Richard in FC because it was a big climactic almost-final battle with a legendary swordsman who did that ridiculous delay cut.  But the bosses of this chapter were kind of...exploding people.  Frequently.  o_0
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-06 02:16:19
    Finished Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze with a friend.  The level design is absolutely brilliant, but the mechanics are way too loose for what they're trying to do.  Your mobility eclipses your sight distance, and the momentum is way, WAY the fuck too slippery even before you hit the ice levels.  Rayman kept that much, much tighter.

In a way I admire the devs' restraint in making a winter-themed game and saving most of the ice levels till the last world, but they're borderline impossible without Dixie because she's the only one that can freely change her momentum.
    PS4 Pro (official name for the Neo) is being released on Nov 10th, for £349.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-09-07 20:01:27
    $399 USD.

I was surprised that they actually had the hardware ready and everything, the way the event had set itself up was very reminiscent of the original PS4 announcement (where they didn't announce any new hardware).
  • edited 2016-09-07 20:48:43
    oh shit i missed final fantasy xv orchestra
    damnit
    oh well