The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• How did they make a movie of Fantastic Mr Fox? The book's so short!

there are three hobbit movies
    Yeah, but people actually like mr fox
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Covenants of the Gang in Dark Souls 3

Dennis and Dee: Aldrich Faithful

Mac: Watchdogs of Farron

Charlie: Mound-Makers

Frank: Rosaria's Fingers
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Vital guide to baked and fried foodstuffs:

Pancake:

Scotch Pancake:

Crumpet:

Muffin:

English Muffin:

• How did they make a movie of Fantastic Mr Fox? The book's so short!

Did they have to do the thing like with Dr Seuss movies where they just make up a big chunk of the story and it's like halfway through before you get to the actual plot of the book?

"The book itself is pretty slender, and that's going to represent pretty much the second act, a bunch of wily foxes and animals that steal one too many chickens, and these three different farmers are out to eradicate them. It's very clever." -- Henry Selick, original co-director of Fantastic Mr. Fox and director of Coraline
    Yes that is a muffin and an English Muffin
  • kill living beings
    crêpe, pancake, english muffin, muffin, english muffin
    Oh dear, a wild land shark.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

How did they make a movie of Fantastic Mr Fox? The book's so short!

Did they have to do the thing like with Dr Seuss movies where they just make up a big chunk of the story and it's like halfway through before you get to the actual plot of the book?
    The plot in the latter half is somewhat extended, if I'm not mistaken. And regardless, a film is more like a short story than a novel to begin with.

In any case: Good movie. I should watch it again.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Me, at the beach. Majestic as ever.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    tall ferret is tall.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know what's funny, in a dumb sort of way? The TV Tropes page for Fantastic Mr Fox is all like "well, the book wants us to cheer Mr. Fox as a hero, but he is a thief!"

He's a fox, you nitwits. What do you expect him to do, drive up to Winn-Dixie and buy a week's worth of groceries with all those royalties he gets from Rupert Murdoch?

there are no purer protagonists than thieves

A distilled water elemental.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    >implying 20th Century Fox isn't using Hollywood accounting to make sure he doesn't get any
  • You know what's funny, in a dumb sort of way? The TV Tropes page for Fantastic Mr Fox is all like "well, the book wants us to cheer Mr. Fox as a hero, but he is a thief!"

He's a fox, you nitwits. What do you expect him to do, drive up to Winn-Dixie and buy a week's worth of groceries with all those royalties he gets from Rupert Murdoch?

THIS POST IS EXCELLENT AND I AM IN TEARS
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aww, thanks Tre.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    crêpes are actually slightly different from pancakes
    as in, the kind of pancakes we have in England
    Anonus said:

>implying 20th Century Fox isn't using Hollywood accounting to make sure he doesn't get any

I like how you took that as a reference to the movie while I was just making a "Fox" joke.
  • That's exactly why that post works

the joke has (unintended) layers
    fashionably late
  • kill living beings
    but mom it's like a million degrees outside...
    Play Nier
  • every time im reminded of that game i get kinda excited and go "man, why HAVENT i played Neir" and them im like "oh yeah video game consoles are a thing for some reason?"
    the video game console is a thing that should've died with the 90s

the video game console is a thing that should've died with the 90s

True dat
    that would mean the people who make sneering remarks about 'specs' and 'framerates' could claim victory, and that cannot be permitted
  • is that really worse than 500 dollar computers that only play video games existing
    I mean they work as DVRs too
  • (*Alton Brown voice*) Unitaskers

is that really worse than 500 dollar computers that only play video games existing

i was not being entirely serious
  • I used to "prefer gaming on console" and then I realized I could just plug an xbox controller into my computer.
    Back in the day, a game console cost a hundred bucks and was a reasonably cool thing, since computers didn't do as much then (no internet, yadda yadda).

Now? I just don't get why they must still exist
    Should I call the temp place tomorrow? I don't know if I'll be ready to just hop back into a daily routine yet...
  • edited 2016-06-07 03:41:55
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I used to "prefer gaming on console" and then I realized I could just plug an xbox controller into my computer.

is it that straightforward?  maybe i should get an Xbox controller

as it is i use the keyboard because MotionInJoy is a horrible, horrible program
  • Well to be fair one reason that we used to prefer buying games on 360 is that my brother and I had our own laptops but we shared the 360. So if there was a game we both wanted to play it was cheaper to get it that way.

In practice it didn't work really well since my brother spent way more time on the 360 than I did and I never really felt like kicking him off, but.
  • Tachyon said:

I used to "prefer gaming on console" and then I realized I could just plug an xbox controller into my computer.

is it that straightforward?  maybe i should get an Xbox controller
    For the wired ones, yeah, it's just a USB thing. Though the point was less specifically the Xbox controller and more my realization that the main reason I preferred to play (certain kinds of) games on console was actually just that I preferred to play them with a controller.

I now also have an adaptor to use Gamecube controllers with my PC which is pretty great too.
    i still use consoles from time to time because

1. i'm still a Nintendo nerd
    2. my laptop is not built for the kind of gaming my brother's PS3 is capable of
  • kill living beings

The whole city was cut into four sections in relation to the great temple: in the north, Cuepopan ('the place of the blossoming of the flowers'); in the east, Tepoan ('the quarter of the god'[...]); in the south, Moyotlan ('the place of the mosquitoes')[...]; and in the west Aztacalco ('beside the house of the herons').

you know, icnoyotl, i think we may have invested in the wrong real estate
    I used to use an XBox controller on my computer. It does indeed work quite easily.

then it broke
  • edited 2016-06-07 03:57:06
    Tachyon said:

1. i'm still a Nintendo nerd

This would be the main reason to own a console at this point I think. I have never quite wanted a Wii U enough to actually buy one but Splatoon almost made me crack. And I'd never give up my 3DS, even though my phone is theoretically just as good of a portable game system at this point, because the new Pokémon isn't coming to that.
  • I don't know that phones are quite on portable console levels yet.

Otherwise I am kinda over console bullshit myself but it's the kind of thing that would only end if literally everyone stopped buying consoles, and that will not happen all at once if it ever does.
  • also hey Tatter Tatter can I have your friend code.
  • I think that because of the specialized nature of the device, consoles don't have as much compatibility issues as PCs and are as a result probably easier to develop for as opposed to the Wild West of PCs. (Remember Crysis and how it became a meme because nobody had a rig powerful enough to run it?)

The cost of entry for a console has also traditionally been vastly lower than that of a quality PC because of subsidized hardware prices (i.e. The company knows it'll get the lost price back on game sales).

In the age of digital distribution it's also a hell of a lot easier to get used games for a console over that of a PC, and you still typically have the option to purchase a physical good for a game on a console as well. (Boxed computer games are a dying art, which is exactly why I plan to import the boxed copy of T&B at some point-- I would kill to have something to hold to represent my favorite game, but I don't have that ability because it's on Steam.)

Basically consoles, antiquated as they may be, still have a place for those of us who want to keep some of the more mundane traditions of gaming alive.
  • For Pokémon? I have to find my 3DS but sure.
    Jane said:

I don't know that phones are quite on portable console levels yet.

Otherwise I am kinda over console bullshit myself but it's the kind of thing that would only end if literally everyone stopped buying consoles, and that will not happen all at once if it ever does.
    Phones have plenty of processing power--my phone's specs are better than that of the desktop PC I had 10 years ago--but the thing is they're really not optimized for gaming, because touchscreens alone tend to be a shitty interface for most kinds of games.
    i still play my DS from time to time

my phone is old and i have no idea how i'd even get games that could run on it at this point
  • Or I guess just the general system one because that's how it works now. Right.

Anyway it's 2208-5453-1799.