The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Are pierogies something people eat outside of the Pittsburgh area?

They're very much a thing down here, since we have a big Eastern European population. We actually have a Polish Pierogi festival that's so big that people apparently drive from Tennessee and South Carolina to come to this event. A local church started doing it as a fundraising event and it's just grown bigger every year. There's obviously pierogies and polish beer, but there's also traditional polish music and folk dancing and clothes and it's pretty fun.

Plus, since since Mom's side of the family has Eastern European heritage, they're kind of a comfort food in our house.

they sound good

They are good. In general, any of the ones that have a meat filling are delicious, but the mushroom filled and sauerkraut filled ones are really good. Pan fry them in butter until they're golden brown and it's so good.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Dumplings are the best comfort food.

The one on the left kinda looks like my cat harry.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Σ:3
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    (")>
  • <(")    <(")    <(")

rare triple bird train, like this post in 30 seconds + u will have triple bird for the rest of ur life
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    triple bird, even more rare than double horse
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    :V

That's a bird, right?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    "Open Your Heart" is an amazingly buttrock song
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    aww but i like that song
    googling around, "buttrock" seems to mean "music tach listened to as a teenager"

harrumph
    i feel really sick this morning
    "Buttrock" to me is "hey remember the soundtrack on Revengeance, also RWBY?"
    hey, i love the RWBY soundtrack

i do NOT love genres with "butt" in their name, so clearly there has been a mistake somewhere
    And I absolutely adore the Revengeance soundtrack.

I think butts are funny and absurd, so I'm okay with it.
    harrumph, i say

i think i'd have preferred, idk, "cheese rock" or something to that effect

"buttrock" makes me think of emotionless post-grunge, Open Your Heart and the RWBY soundtrack are more enthusiastic than what it brings to mind
  • edited 2016-01-02 11:57:31
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Whenever I hear something like 'Rules of Nature' I just kinda go "ppphhbbbbbllllllbbbtttttt", with my mouth, which is not unlike a fart.

Yeah, it's enthusiastic, and it's ridiculous for being that.
    . . . what are genres?

this song doesn't sound anything like Open Your Heart
    giddying sugar-sweet high-adrenaline rock

that's what Open Your Heart is

it's candy in aural form - no substance, all pleasure
    I can't find 'Open Your Heart' anywhere. 

'This Will Be The Day' has a lot in common with 'Rules Of Nature', I feel.
    i guess there's lyrical similarity, not really instrumentally though, the guitar is *important*

idk, somehow This Will Be the Day sounds a lot more impassioned and determined to me than Rules of Nature

something about where the vocals sit in the mix?  i somehow can't quite believe the singer of Rules of Nature
    Okay, that's pretty different.

Buttrock is four things to me: big, dumb, heavy, and overwrought.
    if i had to stick a genre label on Rules of Nature, idk

something darker, it has kinda an industrial rock flavour?  also sorta post-grunge
    It's called buttrock because it makes your butt move around, or something
    Open Your Heart mostly sounds like Bon Jovi, tbh
    Anonus said:

It's called buttrock because it makes your butt move around, or something

i thought it was like, "but, rock!", protest its defenders

that or butt because it's dumb
    this is actually sorta frustrating to me, because like

suppose you have a fictional story you want to tell, and you want some really awesome, really sincere sounding song to accompany it

it's gotta sound sincere because the characters are sincere, but at the same time it's gotta be fake, because they're fictional characters

so you write the most awesome song you can, and then everyone's like oh, this is buttrock, haha it's so dumb and cheesy and overwrought

and that wasn't what you were going for
    It can be cheesy and it can be overwrought and it can be sincere all at the same time. It's sincerity is conveyed by being overwrought.

Some songs are sincere by being quiet, too.
    idk really, the songs are cheesy because the stories are cheesy, so what's being expressed is also cheesy

i mean that's obvious, no getting around it, it's part of the fun really

still though, sometimes i'd like there to be things i can just enjoy wholeheartedly without having to think at all
  • edited 2016-01-02 12:42:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    by wholeheartedly, i mean without qualifiers like "obviously it's cheesy trash, but i like it"

and by "without having to think at all" i mean, it isn't intellectually satisfying and doesn't try to be

if you can say something pejorative about it, it doesn't qualify here, per the first criterion

(nothing qualifies here)
    i'm ashamed of every post i make but i can't stop help
    Don't be ashamed!
    this is ridiculous

i'm ridiculous
  • edited 2016-01-02 12:50:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ridiculous things are clearly the best
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Yes
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ways to annoy silly people. In the next FFXIV patch, we are fighting Sephiroth. No, not that Sephiroth. This Sephiroth.

Ways to annoy silly people. In the next FFXIV patch, we are fighting Sephiroth. No, not that Sephiroth. This Sephiroth.

Oh so that's where the design of the final boss of KH1 came from.
    "ya bring one BLUE BITCH" is the funniest part.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am awake. And bird.

And my mind is not finding the answer to this sorta silly thing I've decided to focus on, which is bothering me to no end.
  • I am also awake. and cat!!

The Kardashians are concerned about chemtrails
  • edited 2016-01-02 18:48:10
    My dreams exceed my real life
    On tumblr, deconstruction can mean any TV show, movie, book, fan fiction, etc. that defies, for certain values of defies, expectations of genre tropes, or applies "real life" logic to fictional narratives. The movie Captain America: the Winter Soldier, for example, deconstructs the idea of American national security because it turns out that good guy organization SHIELD is really controlled by bad guy organization Hydra, because in real life national security organizations are notoriously corrupt, as opposed to a more proper deconstruction like, say, the idea that Cap's costume is based in the American flag, which is itself based on the flag of the British East India Company, because he is a corporate character espousing corporate ideas of patriotism, said patriotism which was more than willing to throw Cap co-creator Jack Kirby under the bus as soon as it didn't need him, and the entire movie being able to be read as an attempt by Kirby-as-Hydra and his weird ideas to usurp the dominance of the corporate pro-Marvel/SHIELD narrative, the surveillance system no longer allowing SHIELD/Marvel to pretend that creators are interchangeable anonymous cogs, and the Winter Soldier, the character who died in a comic that was never written, but if it had would have been published during a period when Kirby was primarily working on romance comics, representing the jilted lover attempting to get back into his old flames' good graces, the loving embrace of the octopus-like hydra unable to disentangle itself from the abusive lover that is comics, needing to kill that which will not love it back, etc. etc. That's just off the top of my head, so it's not great, and it's veering a little more Zizek than Derrida...
  • That Marxist-Maoist-Leninist person that I know apparently doesn't realize that there is a difference between neoliberalism and American liberalism, fucking incredible
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Ice cream.
    Kexruct said:

That Marxist-Maoist-Leninist person that I know apparently doesn't realize that there is a difference between neoliberalism and American liberalism, fucking incredible

Common mistake.

For stupid people.
    Mm . . . by "American liberalism" do you mean the pejorative term, as used by Republicans?

In which case it seems to be basically synonymous with "left-wing".