The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2015-12-07 14:11:51
    ಠ_ಠ
    Starting to feel human again. Stomach is full of yummy goodness and grapes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Toolsie said:

Starting to feel human again. Stomach is full of yummy goodness and grapes.

That's good to hear.

I've got about two hours before my next class and maybe half an hour's worth of work left on my last chemistry lab report! You can bet I plan to just bang this sucker out and be done with it.
  • I wanted to just get my lab report in and done with. But turnitin, which is how I hand stuff in online, is being a twat and altering how my lab report looks online.
  • Also, chocolate chip digestive buscuits give me life.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    We submit our lab reports on paper, which is kind of nice because it means I don't have to fuss with annoying online submissions, but also is kind of annoying because it means I now have to take the time to print the thing out and take it over to the chemistry building to put in the TA's dropbox.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Has anyone seen the Good Dinosaur?

My dad's side of the family went to see it, and my stepmom apparently cried because it made her remember how much she misses her father, who died twelve years ago.

I am curious as to what provoked that reaction.

Mary Worth tiptoing around an environmental message.

I wonder how many angry letters about global warming being a hoax they got.
  • Having an nap before my lecture. Thank god for the comfy sofa seats.

Dennis getting profound up in here.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Great, I coughed in the shower and threw up what was left of my dinner.
  • Tempted to skip this lecture and go home. Feeling a great urge to throw up and/or faint.
  • My head is spinning...
  • Also most of my apps are downloaded from the play store anyway.

I just do it via a third-party tool.

I sure am glad that's not a massive security risk in any way
    and that's why i prefer downloading apps from the app maker directly if they have it on their site
  • Okay so I have a raging fever

Good to know
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that sucks
    ijbm

Windows 10 pop-ups give you 2 options, upgrade now and upgrade later

there ought to be an 'i'm not interested, please don't remind me again' button
  • edited 2015-12-07 16:03:22
    Tachyon said:

ijbm

Windows 10 pop-ups give you 2 options, upgrade now and upgrade later

there ought to be an 'i'm not interested, please don't remind me again' button

this is what registry dickery and hex editing is for -- to tell programs to do exactly what you want them to do, when you want them to do it, and only those things, and only then

unfortunately i am not sufficiently 1337 to do this for all my programs either
    Registry editing and hex editing, or basically "I already had one problem, might as well add more problems."
  • Registry editing and hex editing, or basically "I already had one problem, might as well add more problems."

the few times i've done it, i actually haven't had the issue of adding more problems
    yeah unless i'm 100% confident in what i'm doing i'm not going anywhere near the registry
  • The registry is actually not that risky if you have a decent guide and good sense of critical thinking.  All the keys and such tend to be named and have relevant tree entries grouping them.

Hex editing on the other hand is riskier.  You gotta totally know what you're doing or you're entirely dependent on other people telling you what to do.  If you can do this right, though, you can do even more amazing things.
    Microsoft is being uncharacteristically aggressive in pushing Windows 10 upgrades

I guess they want to avoid what happened with XP...Vista sucked, so people avoided it, but then once 7 came out and was decent you still had people clinging to XP

Looks like that's starting to happen with 7...8 sucked, so people avoided it, but now 10 is out and it's decent but you still have people clinging to 7

It's a bizarre sort of cycle
  • edited 2015-12-07 16:15:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ fair enough, and maybe if i have some time to spare i'll sit down and try to figure if this is something i can fix for myself w/o making things worse

i still feel like i shouldn't *have* to, Microsoft are being purposefully unhelpful, as they so often are

Microsoft is being uncharacteristically aggressive in pushing Windows 10 upgrades

I guess they want to avoid what happened with XP...Vista sucked, so people avoided it, but then once 7 came out and was decent you still had people clinging to XP

Looks like that's starting to happen with 7...8 sucked, so people avoided it, but now 10 is out and it's decent but you still have people clinging to 7

my parents are still using XP and convinced that it's better than 10
    also like a part of me feels like, i don't care if Windows 10 is strictly *better*, it's still different in ways that i resent!

though when i get a new computer i will probably still get 10 all the same, it's not attachment to 7 that makes me resent the upgrade prompts

The registry is actually not that risky if you have a decent guide and good sense of critical thinking.  All the keys and such tend to be named and have relevant tree entries grouping them.

Hex editing on the other hand is riskier.  You gotta totally know what you're doing or you're entirely dependent on other people telling you what to do.  If you can do this right, though, you can do even more amazing things.

The biggest issue I have with this kinda stuff is when people patch binaries or make unsupported registry changes and then act totally oblivious when their changes turn out to break something else

As long as you understand the concept of "do this at your own risk", we're cool
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

also like a part of me feels like, i don't care if Windows 10 is strictly *better*, it's still different in ways that i resent!

though when i get a new computer i will probably still get 10 all the same, it's not attachment to 7 that makes me resent the upgrade prompts

I know precisely the feelings.
  • edited 2015-12-07 16:22:24

It's because they keep on changing interface elements and/or giving people no way to use older packages or applications and limiting what people can do with things.

For example, someone might prefer XP or Vista to things past them for the purpose of having access to Windows Movie Maker.

Or they might prefer to maintain 7 so that they can avoid having to use a third-party tool to get the classic Win98 taskbar look.  This may seem like a small thing, but I'm using this as an example.  I could have used the missing Start Menu debacle that is Win8, though Win10 reportedly has fixed that.  Still though Win8 (even 8.1) doesn't handle program associations as well as Win7 and heck, Win98 had a better file search function.

Also, a number of games have trouble running on newer operating systems than that which they were made for.  And furthermore, some graphics card drivers have yet to be properly updated for Win10 and/or games have yet to be properly updated to work with said drivers and Win10.
    @Tachyon I can understand if you wanna keep 7 because you like it and don't feel the need to change.

What gets me peeved are the people who are like "I will never touch Windows 10 because it spies on you and sends all your data to Microsoft!"

It's the same kinda crap people who distrust Google said about Chrome when it was new
  • edited 2015-12-07 16:23:31

@Tachyon I can understand if you wanna keep 7 because you like it and don't feel the need to change.

What gets me peeved are the people who are like "I will never touch Windows 10 because it spies on you and sends all your data to Microsoft!"

It's the same kinda crap people who distrust Google said about Chrome when it was new

lol

basically every program spies on you and sends your data to %company

[Dracula] "The same can be said of all applications."

that's not even it, this computer is so old and buggy i just don't want to risk it

all the same, i feel there are many aspects of 10 that *could* have been done better, and i don't like having to adapt to a different interface

and because everyone does it, i can't be unhappy about it?

this isn't even specifically about Microsoft or Google, i just don't like it
    actually you know what i'm irritable today, sorry about that

i need to go out for a bit
  • https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28582-scans-prove-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/

But there is no such thing as a female or male brain, according to the
    first search for sex differences across the entire human brain. It
    reveals that most people have a mix of male and female brain features.
    And it also supports the idea that gender is non-binary, and that gender
    classifications in many situations are meaningless.
    [...]
    When the group looked at each individual brain scan, however, they found
    that very few people had all of the brain features [based on the size of brain regions that are generally considered different between females and males] they might be
    expected to have, based on their sex. Across the sample, between 0 and 8
    per cent of people had “all-male” or “all-female” brains, depending on
    the definition. “Most people are in the middle,” says Joel.

This means that, averaged across many people, sex differences in brain
    structure do exist, but an individual brain is likely to be just that:
    individual, with a mix of features. “There are not two types of brain,”
    says Joel.
    [...]
    Markus Hausmann
    at Durham University, UK, isn’t urprised by the findings, however. He
    has been studying sex differences in cognition, such as whether men, as
    commonly believed, really do have better spatial awareness than women.

“Across all kinds of spatial skills, we find very, very few that are
    sensitive to sex,” says Hausmann. “We have also identified spatial
    problems where women outperform men – the black-and-white idea of a male
    or female brain is clearly too simple.”
    [...]
    Despite persisting stereotypes, girls are no worse than boys at science and maths subjects, either.

“People get wedded to the idea that being male or female is highly
    predictive of having different aptitudes or career choices,” says Margaret McCarthy,
    who studies brain sex differences at the University of Maryland School
    of Medicine in Baltimore. “This study fights against the idea that these
    outcomes are based on biological differences, as opposed to cultural
    expectations.” Other body systems are also often wrongly considered to
    be either male or female, says Joel.
    [...]
    “But there are always more differences within genders. We always need to
    look at culture, environment, education and a person’s role in
    society,” [Alexandra Kautzky-Willer] says.
    [...]
    Joel’s findings can be used to help many people understand the non-binary nature of gender, says Barker.
  • 1. more differences within genders than between genders
    2. gender stereotypes are not necessarily true; stop stereotyping based on gender
    3. thanks to the plasticity of the brain, "nurture" is a very important factor, and many differences between people are not matters of "nature" but matters of their upbringing and personal experiences
    3'. thus, some number of observed differences between men and women, where such differences exist, are likely to be due to society binning people into gender roles in the first place
  • edited 2015-12-07 16:42:11
    the next person to make a "girls/guys are like [such-and-such]" comment gets a slap on the face

the next person to stereotype women as being bad drivers or make any comment about how they should stay or return to the kitchen gets a boot to the head
  • Tachyon said:

and because everyone does it, i can't be unhappy about it?

this isn't even specifically about Microsoft or Google, i just don't like it
    I don't like it either, so I take steps to minimize their ability to do it.

...such as by not using some Google services e.g. Play Store on my phone.
  • oh, so I downloaded my own browser for my phone

and my own e-mail client

i don't use either of the two default e-mail clients there are (Gmail and Email)

I use the built-in browser for a couple sites for which I want a persistent login, and neither of them is a Google site

Nothing, really.

I just like to be able to do stuff without other people keeping tabs on my doing stuff, I guess.
    also because i like to be able to keep things separate.
    I don't want my phone linked to my GMail, for example.
    Wanna be able to keep everything as modular as possible.

i used to aim for this and it got to be way too much effort and i lost track of all my email accounts
    ^_^;
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Tre said:

I doubt it's something that really matters in the case of us-- HH could mean 'Heil Hitler' but none of us are Neo-Nazis and the acronym is general enough to mean whatever

Never stopped Helly Hansen or Helen Hunt Jackson

Whenever I see HH these days, I think of this forum or Foxconn, so I think we're OK there.
  • integrity sink
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    People keep talking about how they've built $1000+ computers in preparation for VR, and it just makes me wonder, if you're the kind of person who A) builds computers, and B) actively keeps tabs on prototype tech, why you wouldn't have a powerful computer already.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Most of those people probably already do have powerful computers.

I assume they're overdoing the VR-related upgrades because that's what computer nerds do.
  • Got my second lab report in. I'm (nearly) free!
    This might sound uncharacteristic coming from me, but for-profit businesses collecting information about me just so they can sell it to advertisers doesn't bother me nearly as much as the prospect of unwarranted, surreptitious government surveillance.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    There's a program that can disable the Get Windows 10 thing out there, I forgot what it's called
    It's strange to think about...when I go on my trauma-fueled irrational rants I end up saying "government should control every aspect of our lives because I trust them more than businesses!"

Whereas when I'm lucid I remember I don't particularly trust either

At least with businesses collecting your data you have a pretty good idea of WHY they want it
  • This might sound uncharacteristic coming from me, but for-profit businesses collecting information about me just so they can sell it to advertisers doesn't bother me nearly as much as the prospect of unwarranted, surreptitious government surveillance.

I don't see any reason to give business a pass.

If either one should get a pass, it should be government, arguably, because government at least nominally has the purpose of serving the public good.  Business doesn't.  Between the two, if I were forced to choose, I'd choose to trust government.
    don't private corporations share information with the government anyway