The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like how you're all like "this shitty synthesizer I made sucks!!!" and we're all like "wow, you made your own synthesizer, that's really cool"
  • kill living beings
    oscilloscopes are neat. you use them in electronics, they measure ("scope") waves ("oscillations"). basically i hook this thing to the signal wire of my synthesizer, and ground it, and it displays the wave as pictured. you can adjust the time and amplitude scales to view most kinds of waves (in this case you can see my wave has an amplitude of a couple mV and a period of not very long, like a couple hundred hertz). they also usually have analysis tools, like in this case you can see it trying and failing to figure out the exact frequency.
  • kill living beings

I like how you're all like "this shitty synthesizer I made sucks!!!" and we're all like "wow, you made your own synthesizer, that's really cool"

well right now it just outputs sine waves, you can't even play multiple notes. it'd be cooler to have, say, a theremin

it'll be fun to add to though, if i ever have free time again
  • really I'd argue all you need to make it work is the ability to change the pitch somehow and a way to ah

what's the word I'm looking for

modulate the signal somehow.

Everything else is optional
  • kill living beings
    yeah i put in something to bend a 500 Hz (a bit sharper than a B above middle C) by a few Hz as you hold the arrow keys, but it's... not working.

i'd definitely like to add ring modulation and some timbre control; the thing works off a wavetable anyway, so it'll be pretty easy to allow drawing your own waveforms like in MilkyTracker, if I can come up with an interface that doesn't suck
  • kill living beings
    Wikipedia said:

the Melochord (1947) built by Harald Bode. It was a two-tone melody keyboard instrument with foot controllers and later added a second keyboard for timbre control, featuring a white-noise generator, envelope controller, formant filters and ring modulators for harmonics

see, synths are often, like... good
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    My dad has an oscilloscope and I want to play Quake on it like that one guy did
  • Zeether said:

My dad has an oscilloscope and I want to play Quake on it like that one guy did

this is some "playing Super Mario on a calculator" shit
    rayman said:

yeah i put in something to bend a 500 Hz (a bit sharper than a B above middle C) by a few Hz as you hold the arrow keys, but it's... not working.

i'd definitely like to add ring modulation and some timbre control; the thing works off a wavetable anyway, so it'll be pretty easy to allow drawing your own waveforms like in MilkyTracker, if I can come up with an interface that doesn't suck

you can do it!
  • edited 2015-10-26 19:50:45
    kill living beings
    that video is awesome honestly

for anyone unfamiliar (epilepsy warning)

• Spent nearly £50 on CDs today.

Worth It.
  • edited 2015-10-26 20:44:47
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    rayman said:

that video is awesome honestly

for anyone unfamiliar (epilepsy warning)

Seconding this. (it's almost playable!)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Torgo said:

Mark Trail went to some weird places this week.

I love Solanaceae.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    #⚔⚗☤♇◤◢████allmen
  • edited 2015-10-26 21:26:17
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • The pain medication I am on makes me feel great until my mom comes home, then I want to die
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I think maybe Todd just doesn't like doing contemporary pop song reviews anymore.
  • kill living beings
    i'm in a math class. prof handed out a (non-graded) worksheet. pretty simple problem, except for "sketch this plot" which sucks. but anyway, the provided plot has the wrong scale based on matlab's plotof the same thing. off by like five orders of magnitude. i hate this

I always wanted to try this.
    37-stylo.png

38-bbDPb.png
  • i had the weirdest hitch hike

first i got picked up after only 8 minutes (!)

then i got dropped off at a rubbish spotspot and waited 2 1/2 hrs but ended up , uh, driving some dudes car 30 miles down the motorway for him? which I've never done before

then got an apparently good spot where everything seemed fine but i waited 4 friggin hours but then got picked up by a cool polish van driver who took me basically all the way to london and now I'm here
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Torgo said:

I think maybe Todd just doesn't like doing contemporary pop song reviews anymore.

He did one a couple weeks ago, but it got deleted from YouTube and is only up on Vimeo.
    I know, but still.
    The Weeknd is a curious artist. "Can't Feel My Face" is a great song, though.
  • I've spent ten dollars on Fallout Shelter which is amazing because it has brought me nothing but another source of stress
    Sorry, mang.
    The Transportation Fairy has proposed that we dismantle the Railroad Track Leading To A Cliff And Nowhere Else

I dunno how to justify the expense though
  • The past few days have been nothing but shit and I just want it all to be over
  • I have once again walked into a thread and had no idea what was being talked about.
  • This is the Local 58 News thread, in case anyone's wondering.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

dude's made some weird music

his early stuff is very druggy, hazy R&B, and his newest album is nothing like that at all.

0vvvv0 said:

his early stuff is very druggy, hazy R&B, and his newest album is nothing like that at all.
    I am well aware. I once referred to his work in a conversation with Naney as "ketamine orgy r'n'b," and the latest album seems to be half an evolution of that and half shockingly enjoyable MJ worship.
  • he has very cool hair
  • why do I read things I know will creep me out
  • kill living beings
    I'm sick, sick, a traitor to all

why do I read things I know will creep me out

I could venture why I think I do it, but it might not be a satisfactory answer in your case.
  • ¿No hay noticias universidad, o noticias universidad son smooth jazz?
    0vvvv0 said:

0vvvv0 said:

I am well aware. I once referred to his work in a conversation with Naney as "ketamine orgy r'n'b," and the latest album seems to be half an evolution of that and half shockingly enjoyable MJ worship.
    Max Martin strikes again.
    He is a vampire.

A Vampire Weeknd
    Look at this Monarch Butterfly I saw while walking today

Nice.
  • kill living beings
    I should start wearing gloves again
    Monarchs are cool insects.
    "Is Sophistry A Good Thing" - the greatest dialogue in the history of marketplaces, hemlocked by a moderator after 12,239 lines of debate,
  • kill living beings
    I'm rapidly learning which foods go bad when and I'm not happy about it
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    a police officer dragged a 15 year old girl out of her desk and across the floor and the most important thign is whether or not she was resisting arrest

a police officer dragged a 15 year old girl out of her desk and across the floor and the most important thign is whether or not she was resisting arrest

of course. she's a scary black person, she might have hurt that poor white police officer by...uh...not immediately giving him her hands?