The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the meta-level knowledge donald trump has is that people continue to loan him money even though he doesn't pay it back because his dad was an actually successful businessman
    well, that and being a reality tv star.  so basically like a kardashian with worse hair, except that kim kardashian is by all accounts a legitimately good businesswoman
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Calica said:

the meta-level knowledge donald trump has is that people continue to loan him money even though he doesn't pay it back because his dad was an actually successful businessman

This doesn't count as meta-level unless you convey it while rambling about schelling points, chesterton fences, and overton windows.
    Calica said:

so basically he's the hereditary free-market king the neoreactionaries want
    Calica said:

Calica said:

so basically he's the hereditary free-market king the neoreactionaries want
    Yes.

Bow to the cyberfuhrer
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    naney said:

white people using the phrase "haters" has become an automatic "im done listening to you now" thing for me

saaame
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    except maybe Taylor Swift

I think she can pull it off
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    anyone using the word "haters" is an automatic "not taking you seriously" for me
  • edited 2015-06-19 00:21:41

naney said:

white people using the phrase "haters" has become an automatic "im done listening to you now" thing for me

saaame
    http://www.themarysue.com/john-barrowman-disappoints-trans-fans/

relevant
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You're all just haters.
    I know I'm not a fan, but I have no idea why fans are so fixated on getting X-men back with Marvel/Disney.

I mean, X-men kind of feels like it benefits from being its own separate thing? Why does everything need to be added to the already succesful Marvel/Disney empire?
  • Alan Moore actually liked the DCAU's "For the Man Who Has Everything"

In other news, on the day that was announced, three pigs spontaneously broke into flight
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Hataters gonna Hatate.
    It's gonna get a little weird

It's gonna get a little wild

Alan Moore actually liked the DCAU's "For the Man Who Has Everything"

In other news, on the day that was announced, three pigs spontaneously broke into flight
    You didn't know that? Huh
  • It's gonna get a little weird

It's gonna get a little wild

I ain't from 'round here, I'm from another dimension
    Some of the X-Men films were not very good, i guess. idk what was going on with Deadpool in that Wolverine movie, for instance.

i know i was flippant before, but actually having read Barrowman's comments and that article, it is disappointing. i always thought he was pretty great.

idg why just apologizing is supposed to be so difficult, or why not using a specific word is such a big ask

whoa, really?

Odradek said:

I know I'm not a fan, but I have no idea why fans are so fixated on getting X-men back with Marvel/Disney.

I mean, X-men kind of feels like it benefits from being its own separate thing? Why does everything need to be added to the already succesful Marvel/Disney empire?
    agreed, x-men is fine being what it is, though i actually haven't heard that much about days of future past, was it any good?
    i saw days of future past and enjoyed it

like it wasn't a groundbreaking film and i probably wouldn't watch it again but it was entertaining
  • Odradek said:

You didn't know that? Huh
    I'm just a bit happy about it.

The DCAU did what millions of dollars in Watchman couldn't ^_^
    I've heard it was good.
    Watchmen the movie was better tho
    Yes
    I realize we're supposed to retquality Zach Snyder because of Sucker Punch and Man of Steel, but yes.
  • kill living beings
    an astronaut

in the room

fuckin yeah
    I remember the Watchmen movie being okay.  Getting rid of the squid was not a bad decision because the setup, which was a side-thing between two chapters in the comic book, had to be excised from the two-hour movie.
    What does "retquality" mean?
  • Retroactively declare that anything this person touched was garbage

#shyamalan
    Conversely, then, i seem to recall some people were very negative about Watchmen at the time.

i haven't seen it, though.
  • kill living beings
    an introduction to
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I remember Watchmen being alright. Although that said I didn't go in with high expectations, and I'm not sure I've rewatched it all that much, if at all, so I dunno where to take that. I guess since I already had the comic I just read that instead
    Conversely, then, i seem to recall some people were very negative about Watchmen at the time.

i haven't seen it, though.

Check out this opening scene
  • That is an awesome opening.

I'll be honest, I was shooting from the hip with that one. I've never watched Watchmen
    That's a good opening scene.

i might see that film someday.  my brother saw it and told me it was good.
    then again, my brother also liked both Sucker Punch and Man of Steel, though neither of them unreservedly.
  • what about SuckerPunch is actually bad

I've never seen the film and no one seems to be willing to actually describe what happens in it
  • edited 2015-06-19 01:16:42
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Peridot (Homeworld Gem) vs. Perdiot (young witch who's crushin' on Almond)
    i haven't seen it myself, but i think the complaint usually pertains to its very self-conscious use of the male gaze

which according to Snyder was entirely the point and the intent was deconstructivist, whether or not that excuses it

i gather it starts out like an overblown action movie with very stylized, sexualized violence, but then it takes an extremely dark and gruesome turn

what about SuckerPunch is actually bad

I've never seen the film and no one seems to be willing to actually describe what happens in it
    Some women in an insane asylum hallucinate a world in which they are superheroines fighting evil to deal with their life.
    Bad news: The Safety Fairy took the wheels off my limousine to keep me from "accidentally letting my chauffeur drive us off a cliff"

Good news: This makes it much harder for Yarrun to steal
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts

Bad news: The Safety Fairy took the wheels off my limousine to keep me from "accidentally letting my chauffeur drive us off a cliff"

Good news: This makes it much harder for Yarrun to steal

• edited 2015-06-19 01:36:58
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So here's how Sucker Punch goes.

A girl (Babydoll) in an insane asylum is going to be given a lobotomy. Just before she gets hit by the hammer, she hallucinates how she got there, but not as a patient, but as a prostitute/showgirl of a ritzy brothel. Told to "perform" for the doctor/dance instructor, Babydoll slips deeper into another fantasy world as she does so, which is a highly stylized fantasy action scene with robots and zombie nazis and oni.

The girls decide to escape, and their dances/thefts of various items needed to escape are imagined by Babydoll to be daring escapades with lots of violence.

So the problem with this is that after a while what's "really" happening starts becoming obscure in favor of what the fantasy narrative requires. Some stuff could never happen given the relationships between the "real" versions of the characters. Even some deleted scenes make no sense.

Also by the time of the third or so fight setpiece, you're pretty sick of it.
  • edited 2015-06-19 01:37:56
    Odradek said:

The most disgusting white people food is steaks.

Come at me bro.
    /me does better

/me joins you

also an obsession with seafood, coffee, and expensiveness in general

Odradek said:

Where do we draw the line at white people food.

Do pierogies count as white people food? What about borscht?
    the notion of mocking "white people food" is quite stupid as "white people" encompassess a huge number of ethnic groups each with their own traditions

this is when i'd say "you're using language wrong, change your blog's name or i mock you"
  • MachSpeed said:

So here's how Sucker Punch goes.

A girl (Babydoll) in an insane asylum is going to be given a lobotomy. Just before she gets hit by the hammer, she hallucinates how she got there, but not as a patient, but as a prostitute/showgirl of a ritzy brothel. Told to "perform" for the doctor/dance instructor, Babydoll slips deeper into another fantasy world as she does so, which is a highly stylized fantasy action scene with robots and zombie nazis and oni.

The girls decide to escape, and their dances/thefts of various items needed to escape are imagined by Babydoll to be daring escapades with lots of violence.

So the problem with this is that after a while what's "really" happening starts becoming obscure in favor of what the fantasy narrative requires. Some stuff could never happen given the relationships between the "real" versions of the characters. Even some deleted scenes make no sense.

Also by the time of the third or so fight setpiece, you're pretty sick of it.
    so the issue is that it's disjointed and kind of loses itself then
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Everyone is also dressed immensely sexy and Babydoll imagines her trip to the lobotomist as her being sold by her pimp to a john known as the "High Roller," which is something that looms over her entire fantasy.

It's messed up but I guess I can't really comprehend how much.