The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Nice Spring weather we've been having." "Yeah, I wonder when we'll get our last big snowstorm."
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    No it's a thing.

Old Man Winter, he doesn't give up easy.
  • we got rain here
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    naney said:

we got rain here

saaaaaame
  • Is the Late March Snowstorm not a common thing in Pennsylvania? Here in the Great Lakes that's, like, expected.

It happens once every few years but that doesn't make it less annoying.

I was born during a March blizzard actually. To hear ma tell it, they had to hole up in the hospital for a week or so.
    naney said:

we got rain here

this is the opposite of what should be happening
  • We've got clouds. I did see a solar eclipse this morning, so that was something.
  • this morning we had clouds and so this morning instead of seeing a solar eclipse i saw the sky getting slightly darker for a bit when i was waiting for the bus
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I love this song.
  • they have these really cute bomber jackets at target but they are made out of the wost material
  • naney said:

they have these really cute bomber jackets at target but they are made out of the wost material

see also: practically every pair of dark black skinny jeans which seems to be made out of the same material which is just like a huge magnet for little pieces of fluff and dust
  • and also get super baggy at the knees after 1 or 2 wearings
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    one day I will kill Old Man Winter

i'd like this but it costs 3500 dollars

so instead i ordered an olive BDU shirt off of ebay for 13 dollars and i'll DIY something maybe

• edited 2015-03-20 18:16:52

naney said:

and also get super baggy at the knees after 1 or 2 wearings

sunn wolf said:

naney said:

they have these really cute bomber jackets at target but they are made out of the wost material

see also: practically every pair of dark black skinny jeans which seems to be made out of the same material which is just like a huge magnet for little pieces of fluff and dust
    related to this: when did levis become worse than the jeans you buy at H&M

like seriously, i have 2 pairs of skinny jeans, the pair form H&M are made of sturdier fabric, have a button fly, are good for almost a weeks worth of wear before they start looking stretched out, and make my butt look cute

the pair of levis i have are made of flimsy fabric, have a lousy zipper, i can wear them like twice between washes, and are very large in the seat

the H&M jeans cost 8 dollars on clearance, the Levis cost like 30-40 (*i forget how much exactly*)
    cute butt is important
  • Skinny jeans seem uncomfortable to me...
  • disclaimer: i have two pairs of levis that aren't jeans (a pair of black chinos and a pair of corduroys) and they're both great

but you'd think that the company that invented jeans could, y'know, make a decent pair of jeans
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    naney said:

we got rain here

Down here, we got freezing rain and a bit of snow, but nothing so bad that you had to clean your car off. I understand it was worse in Maryland, though.
  • Skinny jeans don't agree with me. Either they don't fit around my hips or they do fit but I have vast amounts of ankle showing.
    rankled by ankles
  • It's mainly the "they don't fit" issue.

They are made for skinny people.

I am not skinny.
  • Is 7pm too early to play on my PS3? I have no work to do, so...
    I didn't realize there was a strict schedule as to when video games can be played.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Be like past!me and play vidya all day and all night~!
    Panurge said:

I love this song.
    Yes.
  • My mom is a huge Gogos fan.

I also think they are pretty good.
  • One thing I've always liked about this song about how washed-out it sounds.

I've never been sure if that's a quality of the song itself or just the fidelity of the copies that radio stations still have, but it sounds like a faded postcard.
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

See, with Windows 8 people said "it's just a matter of time before they take away the option to disable Secure Boot!" and I dismissed that as a stupid slippery-slope panic

Leave it to Microsoft to kill whatever little faith I had left in them
    The GOP's attempts at being "cool" are always right on that borderline between hilarious and cringeworthy
  • ok 

but am I to understand that

1. the president has "turned off" our immigration laws (I feel like this is probably not how that works)
    2. the GOP has chosen to express their anger in series-of-GIFs-with-captions format?
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    This is how politics works now, and it's all to cater to YOU (yes, YOU!)

Onto a totally different topic: we're getting to release numbers where
    I have to take off my socks to count that high again. I'm ok with
    3., but I don't want us to get to the kinds of crazy
    numbers we had in the 2.x series, so at some point we're going to cut
    over from 3.x to 4.x, just to keep the numbers small and easy to
    remember. We're not there yet, but I would actually prefer to not go
    into the twenties, so I can see it happening in a year or so, and
    we'll have 4.0 follow 3.19 or something like that.

I admit, I find Torvalds's aversion to large version numbers amusing

Because the Linux kernel is the one piece of software where it would make sense to have high version numbers, but instead he's chosen to have arbitrarily change the first number (first from 2 to 3, now 3 to 4) to keep the numbers low

ok 

1. the president has "turned off" our immigration laws (I feel like this is probably not how that works)
    2. the GOP has chosen to express their anger in series-of-GIFs-with-captions format?
    The funny thing, to me, is that this assumes you already share their point of view that immigration enforcement is a good thing

I love it when politicians get so wrapped up in their own views that they forget that not everybody they're talking to already agrees with them
  • ok 

The funny thing, to me, is that this assumes you already share their point of view that immigration enforcement is a good thing

I love it when politicians get so wrapped up in their own views that they forget that not everybody they're talking to already agrees with them
    the format doesn't even really make it clear that they think it's a bad thing.
  • edited 2015-03-20 20:10:54
    BEWARE OF GRRL!
    The high version number thing makes me think of how Ted Dealey (former G.B. Dealey/Belo heir) said anything higher than ten he had to take off his shoes to count
    I think that's the problem with communicating with memes. To reach out to people you've simplified your message to the point where the only people interested in reading it already agree
    "I think that's the problem with communicating with memes" is probably the greatest sentence I've ever typed
  • Still got to hoover the carpet in my bedroom.

Meh, I'll do it tomorrow.
  • edited 2015-03-20 21:01:44
    We can do anything if we do it together.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

See, with Windows 8 people said "it's just a matter of time before they take away the option to disable Secure Boot!" and I dismissed that as a stupid slippery-slope panic

Leave it to Microsoft to kill whatever little faith I had left in them
    It occurs to me that, at least in this way, Microsoft's software has officially become more limited than Apple's is.

Good going, guys.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a computer going into the Recycle Bin every two years, forever. :P
    Because it's not even about piracy anymore, it's about planned obsolescence. They want you to buy a new computer on their schedule, whether you want to or not. Maybe we should just be renting the damn things. :/
    And it's not like smartphones or high-end laptops are cheap junk, either; they're well-built devices that can easily last a decade or more if you don't drop them. This is all about greed.
  • *steals some explosives*

gonna make a 8ig 8adda 8oom
  • what about a 8igga 8adda 8ooma
  • That would work too. ::::D
  • Thata woulda worka tooa.a ::::Da
  • Thataa wouldaa workaa tooa.aa ::::Daa