The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Ellen Smithee

Yes?

(I imagine my Smithee persona dressed in a flannel shirt and thick work jeans, like a stereotypical midwesterner)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Nobody understands me
    *declares the next poster the official Christian Weston Chandler*
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *sigh*
    He does sigh a lot, yes

*offers Imi a glass of milk*
    thanks.
  • edited 2015-01-05 19:10:45
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know what's not as fun as it should be.

Being a fan of:

Harry Potter,
    Star Wars,
    Redwall,
    and Sonic the Hedgehog games (including 3d ones except for 2006).

Yes, yes, I know my tastes are mockworthy, I get it.

But dang it, it galls me to have my tastes in media mocked by people who like Game of Thrones (not on this site, on Tor.com and other forums and in real life).
  • kill living beings
    what is your deal, dude
    does Redwall get mocked a lot?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

does Redwall get mocked a lot?

Yes.  Maybe I just spend my time talking with the wrong people.

I don't care if it was morally as simplistic as they come, I don't care if the vast majority of the books were copy-paste copies of one another, I still like them a whole lot better than most stuff.
    my brother-in-law likes those but I never read 'em.
    (2015 self)

my brother-in-law likes those but I never read 'em.

You probably wouldn't like them.
    why do you say that, hm?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Star Wars and Harry Potter are very popular!
    So are Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey
    (2015 self)
    You guys probably don't like morally simplistic children's stories where good and evil are determined by your species and cute little underdogs never ever lose.
  • Aliroz said:

You guys probably don't like morally simplistic children's stories where good and evil are determined by your species and cute little underdogs never ever lose.

I'd rather more adult fiction that explores people and the morals of world before one of them grabs a magic wand and beats up a wizard.

That's Harry potter

admittedly, I'm not a great fan of "[x] species is always evil"
  • admittedly, I'm not a great fan of "[x] species is always evil"

The X were evil in Metroid.

thing about Metroid is, from what I can tell, the main theme of the series is survival of the fittest. The X vs. the Chozo vs. the Metroids vs. the Space Pirates vs. one chick in power armor. Everybody always trying to destroy everybody else. It's very Darwinian. That's why the planet always explodes at the end.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Genocide is typically frowned upon, and yet Samus disagrees.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu

admittedly, I'm not a great fan of "[x] species is always evil"

The X were evil in Metroid.

Aren't the X parasytes? I don't think you can really call a parasyte good or evil
    Canonically the SA-X has human intelligence (despite the crappy AI), not sure about X parasites in general tho.

Metroids are apparently intelligent, so may qualify as evil, and the Space Pirates are definitely intelligent and able to operate weapons, pilot spacecraft, conduct experiments, etc.
    (2015 self)
    Remember the "elves" vs "cannabalistic mass-produced hiveminded robotic undead cockroaches" thing?  That's Redwall, essentially, except rooting for the elves.
  • nah dude Redwall is a fantasy series starring various species of vermin.

I think I still own a copy of The Legend of Luke, but I have no idea where it is.
    Aliroz is referring to an earlier discussion we had here concerning fantasy races.

"Elves" meaning the good guys who are perfect and can do no wrong, "cockroaches" referring to the hordes of evildoers.
  • i can do 30 push-ups
    Harry Potter wasn't that kind of series, funnily enough.

The Dementors were inherently bad.  But there were no 'elves' (not even the actual elves).
    ^^ Coolness!

i have been neglecting my morning exercises lately >_>

but i never could do 30
  • naney said:

i can do 30 push-ups

and now that you know you can, you never have to again
  • im gonna get to 50
    Ya know

When i brought it up before, everyone was like nah Tach, nobody disparages the stuff you like!

But i'm not sure how you can really contest the hate Harry Potter gets.

Or Frozen, or Doctor Who.

And i did enjoy Sonic, and Star Wars, which evidently receive sufficient ridicule that Aliroz saw fit to remark on it, so i'm not alone here.
  • Aliroz said:

You know what's not as fun as it should be.

Being a fan of:

Harry Potter,
    Star Wars,
    Redwall,
    and Sonic the Hedgehog games (including 3d ones except for 2006).

Yes, yes, I know my tastes are mockworthy, I get it.

But dang it, it galls me to have my tastes in media mocked by people who like Game of Thrones (not on this site, on Tor.com and other forums and in real life).
    harry potter and star wars are actually better than game of thrones tho
    Then there was the whole MLP thing, where we had entire threads here arguing about whether or not the show sucked.

i was a fan at the time.
    my brother watches Game of Thrones, but i haven't seen it.

i have the first book, but still have yet to read it.
  • the beau likes game of thrones for some reason
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i liked what of thronesgame i watched
    that said i refuse to call it anything but thronesgame from now on
  • im listening to Terminal Cheesecake's Angels in Pigtails

it's fun
    i clicked that.

i feel i should at least give game of thrones a go, as i consider myself a fan of fantasy, and it's evidently significant and well-liked within the genre.

Mind you, so are many other things i haven't read.
    i used to confuse A Song of Ice and Fire with William Nicholson's Wind on Fire books, and wondered why everyone was suddenly talking about them
  • The books themselves are actually pretty sloggy, the show has people acting which makes it bearable, but honestly it's in the kind of setting that's unbelievable but wants to be believable because people are mean and they kill and stuff.
  • kill living beings
    isn't it, though
  • edited 2015-01-05 22:22:35
    (2015 self)
    I hate this advertisement on Youtube for some stupid electronic reader that has what sounds like Stephen Fry saying, "Study smarter.  Not harder".

No.  Studying is something you do harder, working is something you do smarter.  There are no shortcuts to studying except mnemonics.  Your product will not make me smarter, and only has four colors of highlight.  There's a reason why you need several colors of highlighter, so you can organize it by hierarchies of main ideas and dcetails, and by subject.

So, in the advertisement, there is this guy holding several highlighters, and his person who is in the same room so condescendingly says, "do you need a coloring book, hmmm".  And I hate it so much.

Seriously, how condescending is that to people who study really hard because it doesn't work for them to study "smart".

NO, some of us can't afford your high-priced product, and it doesn't mean we are stupid, and some people need to study hard and need more than four colors of highlight (sometimes, one even needs to squiggle-highlight for a different type of highlight.

Stop being condescending to people who don't use your product.

Some people can study smarter, but for some minds, it works better to study harder.
    studying skills are totally a thing that exist though
    (2015 self)
    I know.

But this electronic product has the implication of,

"you don't have our product? YOU'RE DOING ACADEMIA WRONG!"
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    hey, sometimes I feel insecure about how a lot of the things I like seem to be popular targets for derision (e.g. Sonic again, the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons - The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Top Cat and Scooby are partially protected thanks to nostalgia and pop cultural standing, at least)
  • edited 2015-01-05 22:38:19
    (2015 self)
    Well, yeah.

At least I know that I'm not the only one who has this "deal".